What's new

HIT THE DECK & THE WIND AND THE LION blu-ray from Warner Archive! (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Hit the Deck is one of the few 1950's musicals I haven't seen. It seems an odd choice of film to release when so many other great musicals haven't been. Hard to believe it is ahead of High Society.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Keith Cobby said:
Hit the Deck is one of the few 1950's musicals I haven't seen. It seems an odd choice of film to release when so many other great musicals haven't been. Hard to believe it is ahead of High Society.
If you like 50's musicals you should like "Hit The Deck!", I did.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, very pleased by both of these releases though, as I said in another thread, I can think of easily a dozen other musicals under Warners' control that I would rather have seen on Blu-ray.

But if they do as good a job with it as they did with Billy Rose's Jumbo (which looked amazing), I will be very happy indeed.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well done Warner on The Wind & The Lion, a huge favourite & just made for Blu-ray. My first Archive purchase.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Keith Cobby said:
HIT THE DECK is no SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, but it's a lot of fun. As I mentioned in the Warner Archive thread, I first became aware of it when watching THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! on a giant Cinerama screen back in 1974 and was blown away by the cast: Debbie Reynolds, Tony Martin, Jane Powell, Vic Damone, Ann Miller, Russ Tamblyn, Walter Pidgeon, Kay Arman, J. Caroll Naish. By virtue of the cast alone, I'd say it's too often overlooked. In color, CinemaScope and that wonderful Fifties stereo, it should make a great BluRay.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Keith Cobby said:
It seems an odd choice of film to release when so many other great musicals haven't been. Hard to believe it is ahead of High Society.
Warner Archive's blu-ray choices baffle me.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Keith Cobby said:
Although I mention High Society in every applicable thread, on the basis that it is not available on DVD through the Warner Archive, I live in hope that it will eventually be released on blu-ray. The same goes for Three Little Words, Silk Stockings, Love Me or Leave Me etc etc.
I would hope Warner is saving HIGH SOCIETY, SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS, THE BAND WAGON and most of the others you mentioned for the special treatment they deserve. The fact that they aren't out yet should mean that they are determined to do them right, not fast.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Warner has thousands of more viable catalogs than Hit the Deck. Whatever, wake me up when we start seeing the Warner of old. The Warner that used to be the industry leader in catalog.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
bruceames said:
Warner has thousands of more viable catalogs than Hit the Deck. Whatever, wake me up when we start seeing the Warner of old. The Warner that used to be the industry leader in catalog.
If you want more catalog like the Warner of old, you might try ordering HIT THE DECK as a show of support. We shouldn't have to wake you up. It's Warner we have to wake up and I'm trying to do that by supporting vintage catalog on BluRay.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I am ordering Hit the Deck and it will be the first time I have owned the title on home video. I expect it to be a very good transfer, otherwise why release it in preference to something else.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Rob_Ray said:
If you want more catalog like the Warner of old, you might try ordering HIT THE DECK as a show of support. We shouldn't have to wake you up. It's Warner we have to wake up and I'm trying to do that by supporting vintage catalog on BluRay.
Sorry. Won't go for Hit the Deck. Had the soundtrack album and didn't care for it, and won't order something I don't like just on the off chance it will make WB release something I DO like. Will order Wind and the Lion when it's actually released (It's not shown in the WB web site as yet, and I like to compare prices).

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Rob_Ray said:

I've done way more than my share of ordering just-for-support titles over the years. But in Warner's case they're sitting on hundreds (if not thousands) of movies that I ACTUALLY WANT. They have to meet me half way. Why should I reward them for choosing movies from the bottom of their barrel, when that barrel is still almost full?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Keith Cobby said:
The plot line is strictly routine. On the other hand the songs are by Vincent Youmans, one of the great melodists, and the score is exceptionally tuneful. The voices in Hit The Deck are among the best ever and do full justice to Youman's tunes. Although Ann Miller is her usual excellent self, Hit The Deck is more noteworthy for the singing than the dancing.

In case you haven't guessed: yes, I will buy this BRD!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
bruceames said:
Why should I reward them for choosing movies from the bottom of their barrel, when that barrel is still almost full?
Hit The Deck may be at the bottom of your barrel but it's not at the bottom of Warner's or mine or quite few other people's.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Can i buy these titles in the UK, i mean import them from the USA, or are they only available via Warners USA website. ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks