Blu-ray A Few Words About

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,493 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 11:18 PM

As a fan of Downton Abbey, Murder on the Home Front (also from Carnival), caught my attention.  It's being released via PBS.

A police procedural, c. 1940, set during the blitz in London, it follows a pathologist and his new partner / sidekick as they attempt to unravel the work of a serial killer.

With Patrick Kennedy (War Horse, Atonement) and Tamzin Merchant (The Tudors, Pride & Prejudice) in the leads, the piece has frothy, occasionally comic overtones, and plays beautifully.  Photographed by David Higgs, I'm unable to tell if it was shot via film or data on a moderately sized plasma panel, although the credits list a DI.

CGI is used to advantage only on few occasions, and the overall production values are high, with a believable recreation of bomb-torn London.

While this appears to be a one-off, I'd welcome occasional revisits to the era and characters.

Recommended.

RAH

• davidHartzog likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 447 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted April 07 2014 - 01:21 PM

Sounds pretty good, will add to wishlist.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#3 of 3 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted April 07 2014 - 01:25 PM

Didn't know about it.  Yes, era and characters sound great.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users