Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

receiver for my dream theatre.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Gunman606

Gunman606

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 07:10 PM

I have a 15.5' x 33' foot room, I'll loose 2' for placing speakers so 31 feet. Main use will be for movies. What reciever should I buy and budget do I need? 7-2 or 9-2? I don't want to waist $$$ but if there is a noticible difference I'm willing to step up... figured I should find the received before I post on speakers and sub woofers...

Main seating will be two rows @ 14' & 18' from sceen behind that will be a bar.

Thanks in advance!

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,478 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 02 2014 - 10:18 PM

Actually you choose your speakers first, Then you decide how much power they need.

You buy your AVR based on your sources and the features you'll use.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,983 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted April 03 2014 - 05:36 AM

I agree with Sam.

Also, in terms of budget, keep in mind that speakers should consume most of your budget. If purchased smartly, they'll outlast every other component in your system. The receiver, on the other hand, is one of the most "disposable" components - in the sense that it will become outdated much sooner than anything else.

IMO, unless you need specific features in an AVR that require a top of the line model (advanced multi-zone control, networking, pre-outs, etc.) you can usually get by very well with receivers at $500 and below. Don't "overbuy" on the receiver.

If budget gets tight, consider starting off with a basic (but well-appointed) 5.1 system, and add the extra speakers later. Every modern AVR can be configured with any combination of speakers (2.1, 3.0, 7.1, etc.). I've always been a firm believer that it's better to have a "great" 5.1 system than an "ok" 7.1 system.

Finally, have you considered everything else you'll need:

- Front projector or flat-panel display?

- If FP, ceiling or shelf-mount?

- If FP, screen size/type?

Without any guidance on what sort of budget you have in mind, it will be very difficult for us to make any specific recommendations.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Gunman606

Gunman606

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 06:41 AM

Gunman606

Thanks,

I did start a thread as well in the +$3k projectors forum. My total equipment budget is $20k, The projector will most likely use up 1/2...

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 08:19 AM

Even if you do burn half your budget on a projector (which I think is a mistake) with $10K left over I would consider moving above receivers.  That's a price range where separates can make more sense.  Jason is correct that receivers become outdated, but good amps don't go out of date any faster than speakers.  So, you might consider a preamp/processor, which can be updated when you want, with a good external amp, which you can keep for years.

• Gunman606 likes this

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Mr645

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts
  • LocationBoca Raton, Florida

Posted April 19 2014 - 05:38 PM

I also agree, buy the receiver based on features.  An upper mid range receiver will have pre outs and even modestly priced external amp will easily outperform a receiver. Look at options from Marantz, Onkyo, Rotel, did Outlaw ever come out with a modern processor?

For amps, check out Parasound

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users