• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 of 38 OFFLINE   Fabien Renelli

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 10:49 PM

I'm interested in these Spider-Man 4k discs.

Can someone tell me if the French subtitles are white?

Also if the French dub is parisian or canadian?

Thanks in advance!

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

#22 of 38 OFFLINE   Fabien Renelli

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted July 27 2014 - 10:50 PM

I'm asking for the three movies actually ;)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

#23 of 38 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 03:24 AM

Back cover info:
http://www.dvdempire...et-blu-ray.html

Then again, not sure why anyone would want to see these film dubbed in French. ;)

#24 of 38 OFFLINE   Fabien Renelli

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 06:28 AM

Thanks for the tip!

#25 of 38 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 07:50 AM

Maybe its my monitor and/or old eyes, but the current mastered in 4K discs don't look much better if any than the 2K. Let the flaming begin!

Ghostbusters

Glory

The Amazing Spiderman

GLORY (1989) been released again on bluray in 4K. No thanks. I have two copies on first edition DVD with isolated score score Dolby 4.0.

Audio commentary is the same on both pressings expect bluray doesn't have isolated James Horner score in 4.0 discrete.

If I want to buy it again it will be on Laserdisc. I'm certain there is deeper low end at the night time attack on Fort Wagner, the sound of the muskets thundered and the score that kicks in later when Col. Shaw, falls in the battle, had a deeper low end extension that seems to be missing on the DVD and bluray.

I didn't have a chance to see this at the cinema that I was working at the time. It had short time showing in one of the smaller screens in Dolby Stereo SR.

Only saw it on VHS rental around 1990 and sounded awesome in Dolby pro-logic. The panning screaming madness of men running around on blooded, battle field voices panned from fronts to matrix surrrounds on at the first battle and faded away. Damn was that loud! Still is damn loud with bass and sub bass but it seems to be missing or maybe the sound effect at one scene has had its dynamics reduced? I need a working Pro VHS player and the rental version Hi-Fi Stereo Dolby Surround, or maybe the Laserdisc pressing of the same year release. There are a few pressings so I'd go for the (Street Date 19/09/1990 below).

I used to have the VHS rental that I bought months later. Years later bought the letterbox VHS edition. Not sure if I have any of the VHS? Well plenty of them made so no shortage on ebay.

10533267_10152588176560149_8815819544027

First pressing release.

10553607_10152588150605149_3481282747301

Later release with extras.

Also the mixes are slightly modified if one ever does care to listen to their home theatre? I listen to my Home THX Cinema. But if you sold your DVD you have nothing to compare with?

10536821_10152588138625149_5479744438084

Now playing GLORY (1989) DVD region isolated score Dolby 4.0 Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System JBL 49 speakers.

Now playing some Oscar Dolby sound highlight momenets from region 2, chapter 25 to end credits.

I like forward scene/shot showing 54th charging at Fort Wagner, first shot looking at the Fort, with a cannon fire as, Trip, looks over to his right side, as the Union soldiers, continue their approach on the Confederate Fort, impact of cannon ball his the sand and surround back parts. Then some cannon fire from rear back surrounds thunders, that gets my attention looking behind (with one eye still on the on-screen action then I face forwards again).

Col. Shaw, yells out "CHARGE!"  More sevreal more cannon fire shots thunder form behind! LFE.1 kicks into the sand down at 25Hz.

#26 of 38 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 28 2014 - 07:57 AM

It's a tough decision, should i buy the blu ray or the dvd of Glory, maybe this comparison below will help you make your mind up.

http://caps-a-holic....less=#vergleich

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#27 of 38 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 08:28 AM

I looked at it and I see ether guy sat in front of computer tweaking colour, hue, settings by a small shade.

Its not worth buying and I like the film.

Recall GLORY on channel 4, showing it years ago and the quality was awesome. Even had reel change over dots every 20 mins. Today that would be rare to see on TV. They use these new masters that we see on bluray.

Even the sound was better in NICAM 725 with the Dolby Stereo mix over crap rubbish on HD tv today, the switch over form analogue to digital wasn't worth it. Most if not all films are heavily compressed claimed down on the dynamics. Rarely does a film show on HD in Dolby 5.1 that has less of the compression used on some HD PCM? Huh! I thought that was uncompressed audio? Then you get an F-ing TV Ad with +15db in your ear! CRINGE.  :unsure:

#28 of 38 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,015 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 28 2014 - 08:35 AM

Sony has also started applying the "Mastered in 4K" Labeling to new releases, albeit more subtly. See the back of Captain Phillips and other new releases for a smaller banner.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#29 of 38 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 28 2014 - 08:37 AM

I looked at it and I see ether guy sat in front of computer tweaking colour, hue, settings by a small shade.

Its not worth buying and I like the film.

There is a massive difference between dvd, laserdisc and broadcast television and a quality blu ray release, these mastered in 4K releases do have slightly better detail than the previous versions, seriously Andy do you want us to go back to laserdisc. ?

Are you seriously not seeing the additional detail in that blu ray vs dvd comparison screencap and you prefer the dvd, you have to mouse on and mouse off to see it, i hope you did that, there is a massive difference, dvd and laserdisc are yesterdays technology.

I'm speechless. 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#30 of 38 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 08:40 AM

Sony has also started applying the "Mastered in 4K" Labeling to new releases, albeit more subtly. See the back of Captain Phillips and other new releases for a smaller banner.

Sony also introduced us to SUPERBIT DVD that came and went so fast with so few titles. Now they're doing the same bullshit all over again.

If its a new release mastered in 4K, sure I buy it. But I don't give a hoot, about buying a 4K TV or projector for an old film title. 1080p size is plenty for my room when I run the projector at 1080. I most absolutely will not buy these re-doe 4K titles for the shakes of having a bigger bluray collection.

#31 of 38 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 08:51 AM

There is a massive difference between dvd, laserdisc and broadcast television and a quality blu ray release, these mastered in 4K releases do have slightly better detail than the previous versions, seriously Andy do you want us to go back to laserdisc. ?

Are you seriously not seeing the additional detail in that blu ray vs dvd comparison screencap and you prefer the dvd, you have to mouse on and mouse off to see it, i hope you did that, there is a massive difference, dvd and laserdisc are yesterdays technology.

I'm speechless. 

Your only looking at line resolution. Can't you see that whites are whiter and blacks and blacker, no pun, that is term used for good image. Well guess you missed on GLORY channel 4, years ago? You won't ever see the version on Film 4, ever again, they just show the BS bluray version with a few brightness overkill tweaks.

I'd sooner spend £20.00 on cat food than 4K redoes of bluray old film titles and I can even see how dreadful it looks when I get a dodgy one on 28" CRT. I don't need 4K to pull the cotton wool over my eyes. Then thinking it was bad decision, and I should have spent the money on cat food instead.

You can't eat and live on 4K discs it will up set the digestive system.

Lets not turn on each other like some ally cats. Its the studios who are f$king with our minds to get us to turn on each other, All they care about is how much they make from, 4K?

#32 of 38 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 28 2014 - 09:07 AM

Your only looking at line resolution. Can't you see that whites are whiter and blacks and blacker, no pun, that is term used for good image. Well guess you missed on GLORY channel 4, years ago? You won't ever see the version on Film 4, ever again, they just show the BS bluray version with a few brightness overkill tweaks.

I'd sooner spend £20.00 on cat food than 4K redoes of bluray old film titles and I can even see how dreadful it looks when I get a dodgy one on 28" CRT. I don't need 4K to pull the cotton wool over my eyes. Then thinking it was bad decision, and I should have spent the money on cat food instead.

You can't eat and live on 4K discs it will up set the digestive system.

That's not true, while some films get the contrast boost treatment to hide their flaws and make it look like there is additional detail, that is not the case with Glory or these mastered in 4K titles, in fact Sony/Columbia have been very reliable in giving us superior image quality which is faithful to the filmed look, you are trying to compare old dvd and laserdisc versions and old television broadcasts with new blu ray releases which have been lovingly brought to the format.

You ever heard of separation masters or answer prints, they use these to get the colours right on old titles, now sure answer prints only last twenty odd years but guess what, they also have Interpositives they can use, for example Criterion often mentions using the Interpositive to make the actual blu ray, i'm not sure why you would want that old version on Channel 4, it's inferior.

It's more than line resolution Andy, many of those old dvd's and laserdiscs had wrong colours, they had edge enhancement, they had lower resolution of course but they also came from SD masters which were incorrect looking and could be wrongly colour timed, you cannot use that as the basis for judging a new blu ray release, i'm sorry Andy but i just do not understand your negativity towards the blu ray format while at the same time praising dvd and laserdisc and old TV broadcasts.

In fact, the old release of Ghostbusters was contrast boosted, detail was lost, the new mastered in 4K release goes back to the original cinema look and is all the better for it, do the research, 4K film scans make a difference even for 1080p blu ray.

#33 of 38 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 09:15 AM

Do you own a laserdisc player YES or NO?

I should have taken that offer on ebay a few years for a 35mm projector.

#34 of 38 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 28 2014 - 09:21 AM

Do you own a laserdisc player YES or NO?

Does it matter, the facts are that all UK and USA laserdiscs were sourced from SD masters, they had inbuilt issues.

You cannot compare a state of the art blu ray release with a state of the art laserdisc release, the only thing the laserdisc has going for it in those circumstances is sound quality and the blu ray is no slouch in that department either.

Why deny yourself that gorgeous 1080p image quality, why choose lower resolution and edge enhancement and some of the other issues, sure i can understand if you wanted to watch the roadshow version of a film that isn't available on blu ray or indeed any other film that isn't available but if the movie is on blu ray and it's a good quality release then why stick with laserdisc.

#35 of 38 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 09:44 AM

Does it matter, the facts are that all UK and USA laserdiscs were sourced from SD masters, they had inbuilt issues.

You cannot compare a state of the art blu ray release with a state of the art laserdisc release, the only thing the laserdisc has going for it in those circumstances is sound quality and the blu ray is no slouch in that department either.

Why deny yourself that gorgeous 1080p image quality, why choose lower resolution and edge enhancement and some of the other issues, sure i can understand if you wanted to watch the roadshow version of a film that isn't available on blu ray or indeed any other film that isn't available but if the movie is on blu ray and it's a good quality release then why stick with laserdisc.

Mate, I have 1080 on the projector when I can be asked use it or bother wasting lamp time on some bluray title, that rarely happens.

You haven't seen how dreadful THE MATRIX is on bluray? Over-bright on some shots that wash out detail of the "Hi-Res" you paid for, lol. I won't trade my Laserdisdc of THE MATRIX Dolby AC-3, for all the tea in China. The bluray is appalling.

Capture only taken with my digital camera and I had to lower the ISO but it gives you general idea of what each look like.

10401585_10152535833235149_8553783974184

DVD region 2 BBFC cut version

10408904_10152535838610149_4948549449424

LASERDISC DOLBY AC-3

10511241_10152535838780149_9068709367685

Bluray Sucks! The train lights are all over bright and washes out that super Hi-res  priced quality. Get what you pay for.

I rest my case on THE MATRIX. Keeping the AC-3 Laserdisc.

#36 of 38 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 28 2014 - 10:01 AM

We're discussing mastered in 4K titles not low bitrate Warner and The Matrix.

Even if we were not i have to say 95% of the blu ray titles out there beat dvd and laserdisc hands down.

#37 of 38 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 10:43 AM

We're discussing mastered in 4K titles not low bitrate Warner and The Matrix.

Even if we were not i have to say 95% of the blu ray titles out there beat dvd and laserdisc hands down.

Laserdisc THE MATRIX :thumbsup:

I have SPINDERMAN 3 on DVD and if I see it on ebay box set for all three at cheap price I'd sooner have Extreme-DNR Super-EE with Dolby TrueHD at cheap price as I hardly now play the DVD's. There on the shelf for as and when I want to play them. The AVR can up scale which I'm pleased with. :)

I'm not into these rebooted SPIDERMAN films, so I won't buy those.

#38 of 38 OFFLINE   MLamarre

MLamarre

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted July 28 2014 - 05:48 PM

The color timing of The Matrix was changed at the request of the directors. The original 1999 DVD matches the color scheme of the Laserdisc. It was only for the SE DVD re-release and subsequent Blu-ray that it was changed. The change has absolutely nothing to do with the Blu-ray format itself, or it's capabilities.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users