Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CBS Press Release: I Love Lucy, The Andy Griffith Show & The Honeymooners (Blu-ray)

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,088 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 08:53 AM

BD_AndyGriffithS1_OSleeve_3D.jpg Hnymnrs_BRD_3D_Oslv.jpg ILL_SSN1_BRD_OSLV_3D.jpg

THREE OF TV’S ALL-TIME GREAT COMEDIES 
TO DEBUT ON BLU-RAY™

Pristine HD Episode Transfers, Many Original Broadcast Elements And Great Special Features

I Love Lucy  Ultimate Season One, The Andy Griffith Show  Season One and The Honeymooners  ‘Classic 39’ Episodes 
Blu-ray Collections Arrive May 6, 2014

Three of television’s most beloved classic comedies will arrive looking better than ever when I LOVE LUCY – ULTIMATE SEASON ONETHE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW – SEASON ONE and THE HONEYMOONERS – “CLASSIC 39” EPISODES make their Blu-ray Disc debut May 6th from CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution. All three shows are finally available in high-definition with image quality never seen before. Specifically, every episode has been transferred from the original camera negative, producing crisp details, and rich sharp blacks.

I LOVE LUCY – ULTIMATE SEASON ONE

I LOVE LUCY – ULTIMATE SEASON ONE brings to Blu-ray the hilarious first episodes of the groundbreaking series starring Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.  Alongside such classics as the “Lucy Does a TV Commercial” episode selling Vitameatavegamin are 
never-before seen treats, including Lucy and Desi’s makeup and wardrobe tests where the off-screen couple are filmed together just days before full-scale production began. Also included is the pilot episode, re-mastered from its recently discovered original 35mm negative.  Along with radio broadcasts, on-set color home movies and backstage photos, the collection features some of the series’ most beloved episodes, including “The Ballet,” “Pioneer Women” and 
“The Freezer.”

THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW – SEASON ONE BLU-RAY

All 32 episodes of the first season of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW have been restored in sparkling high definition, with original sponsor openings and closings. Starring Andy Griffith, Ron Howard, Don Knotts and Frances Bavier, the beloved series about small-town America includes rare special features, including color on-set home movies shot by Ron Howard’s father Rance, Edward R. Murrow’s insightful interview of Andy Griffith on Person to Person in 1957 and a new HD transfer of the Return to Mayberry television movie.

THE HONEYMOONERS – “CLASSIC 39” EPISODES BLU-RAY

Also brilliantly re-mastered in high-definition, THE HONEYMOONERS – “CLASSIC 39” EPISODES BLU-RAY collection contains full-length episodes of the iconic series, starring the one and only Jackie Gleason, Art Carney, Audrey Meadows and Joyce Randolph. Special features include a never-before-released, hour-long musical The Honeymooners: The Adoption from 1966; a memorable 1984 “60 Minutes” profile of Jackie Gleason; both The Honeymooners Anniversary Special (1990) and The Honeymooners 50th Anniversary Celebration (2002) Jackie Gleason interviewing a Queens bus driver as guest host for Edward R. Murrow on Person to Person; and original openings, closings and cast commercials.

I LOVE LUCY — ULTIMATE SEASON ONE BLU-RAY

Street Date: May 6, 2014

Suggest retail price: $130.00 U.S.

Runtime: Approx. 15 hrs, 8 min

U.S. Rating: Not Rated

THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW —SEASON ONE BLU-RAY

Runtime: Approx. 13 hrs, 40 min

THE HONEYMOONERS — “CLASSIC 39” EPISODES BLU-RAY

Runtime: Approx. 16 hrs, 57 min

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor

• 518 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 09:06 AM

Would love to own these, but the MSRP is just insane.  Not sure what type of consumer Paramount is targeting with these prices. 

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,031 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 02 2014 - 09:27 AM

Would love to own these, but the MSRP is just insane.  Not sure what type of consumer Paramount is targeting with these prices. 

I agree. I enjoy all these shows but they would have to be one of my all time favorites to spend that kind of money. I realize that there's costs associated with putting these shows out but when Star Trek: The Next Generation (where they had to do an extensive restoration, re-did special effects and they have a fanbase that will always spend money) is the same price as these shows, it's ridiculous that they cost the same.

I've said it before but when (not if) all of these sell terribly, I hope they realize it's the crazed price and not a lack of interest on the part of fans.

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 02 2014 - 10:18 AM

If and when ANDY GFRIFFITH is completely released in Blu-ray, and then they put out a box set, and then years later that box set is on a fire sale, I might grab it. In the meantime, my DVDs will do. But happy for all the fans that are excited about this. I'd be excited too if the price were even remotely reasonable. If I have patience, it will be. And who knows, by finally wising up and waiting, I might just get an extra "extra" on the boxed set and finally not be ready to pull my hair out after supporting the entire release and feeling duped.

books   

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,308 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted April 02 2014 - 10:28 AM

I imagine that by the time Fall arrives that we'll be able to find these for ~$40 or so pretty easily. Surely a drastic price cut is part of their strategy. They're just taking advantage of the most diehard of collectors that are willing to pay a premium.

Is this a new transfer for the I Love Lucy pilot from a new source? They're talking it up like it is. Would be neat to see it looking significantly better than what's on DVD.

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,302 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 11:43 AM

Paramount's biggest obstacles to selling these are the dvd version which you can pick up for around $10, and the blu rays are not going to be $120 better

My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,302 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 11:44 AM

I imagine that by the time Fall arrives that we'll be able to find these for ~$40 or so pretty easily. Surely a drastic price cut is part of their strategy. They're just taking advantage of the most diehard of collectors that are willing to pay a premium.

Is this a new transfer for the I Love Lucy pilot from a new source? They're talking it up like it is. Would be neat to see it looking significantly better than what's on DVD.

I never buy these sets when they first come out now I wait for Deals even the prices on the 1/2 season Rawhide and Gunsmoke sets are nuts

My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 02 2014 - 12:20 PM

This is harkening back to the days of Laserdisc pricing, a nostalgia kick for some as evidenced by frequent "good old days" postings in the Blu forum, but not by me. Reverting back to those niche marketing tactics is a sorry step backwards. They can't close that barn door for me anymore. After awhile you just have to say that something good is good enough. Not everything needs to be better.

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 12:34 PM

I have the DVD's for both ILL and TAGS, but still decided to put both on preorder. I'm only interested in season one in HD for ILL and up through season 5 for TAGS.

CBS is taking an interesting approach with these by pricing them so high. Obviously, Lion Gate took the more popular approach with LHOTP, but then those DVD's were either cut or sped up, and the original video quality was only okay. So it made sense for them to offer both new releases of the DVD's as well as the HD Blu-rays. I'm sure they are counting on moving a fair number based on the price and desire of fans to upgrade.

For both these series, the DVD's were already complete and in top quality for DVD standards. CBS may just be figuring that the numbers that would upgrade will not really amount to much. All the shows are set for futre HD syndication. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If they don't sell well will they quickly go on sale with a price reduction on future seasons, or will they keep the price still relatively high with limited runs only expecting a smaller number of fans to make the upgrade. So far it seems that $50 is the lower end sale price for CBS Blu-ray seasons. These still may get another reduction to around that amount before they finally ship.

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 12:45 PM

After awhile you just have to say that something good is good enough. Not everything needs to be better.

This may be exactly what CBS is considering. The products are already good enough for most and the DVD market has fallen, so how can they expect to get big sales on blu-ray releases of these shows without low balling a blu-ray release, and is it really worth it to them to go that route when most likely the ultimate goal was getting them ready for future HD syndication, which is now done. So maybe they figure go the high price route because they think it is a niche market. Especially, with DVD seasons going for $10 at times.

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,308 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted April 02 2014 - 03:42 PM

I have the DVD's for both ILL and TAGS, but still decided to put both on preorder. I'm only interested in season one in HD for ILL and up through season 5 for TAGS.

Out of curiosity, while I understand stopping there for The Andy Griffith Show, why after season 1 of I Love Lucy?

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 03:49 PM

I hope CBS reads these posts.  I have given enough of my money to them over the years.  I have the entire I Love Lucy Series and the Comedy Hours on VHS tapes.  I would love to get rid of the whole collection.  I have them all on DVD.  No I will not be buying Lucy no matter what they put on it.  Sorry no way CBS!  Want to buy back your VHS tapes CBS? 

I know I know it is not heir fault it is mine for buying them all.  Lucy is not all I have from them either.  So they have lots of my money.

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 04:51 PM

Out of curiosity, while I understand stopping there for The Andy Griffith Show, why after season 1 of I Love Lucy?

TAGS has been a favorite from early youth to when I watched it in college (went to school in NC, I don't think TAGS has ever been off the air down there) to later in life. It never seems to get old for me. While I enjoyed ILL growing up and still do, it isn't quite as high on the list for me, maybe because of how much I saw it growing up (thinking Crocodile Dundee reference here) . I actually think I enjoy Dick Van Dyke a bit better as well, which I also have on Blu-ray. I can justify the higher price to have five seasons of TAGS on Blu-ray.

So this is a case where I could be happy with just the DVD's of ILL, but it is so iconic of a show that I want the newer extra's and to see the original opening for season 1. Plus like many shows I tend to enjoy the earlier seasons more than the later. Unlike TAGS I can't justify all the seasons of ILL at a premium price, but I can the one. Now if some day I can get the whole ILL series for $150 on Blu-ray I might upgrade.

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,308 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted April 02 2014 - 04:56 PM

I Love Lucy is something I'll be interested in, when the price is right. Honeymooners, too.

But the major thing I want to see is fully restored Lucy/Desi Comedy Hours, not the half-assed hackjob done for the DVDs.

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,088 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 08:45 PM

CBS has been doing a phenomenal job with Star Trek: TNG

However, I won't buy them at their initial street price.

I would love to own LUCY and THE HONEYMOONERS on 

Blu-ray, but like most of you, I think I will wait before these 

sets dip below the $50 mark.

I can wait 6 months to a year for a major price drop.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,317 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 02 2014 - 08:46 PM

I have 2 sets of "I Love Lucy" on DVD... the original slipcases/thinpacks and the budget re-releases... I'm not diving again.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 02 2014 - 10:54 PM

Often for impulse control I have to look away from what's new and hot and look at my own shelves, especially at the sets still in shrink wrap. I will get TAGS HD in the due course of evolution. Meantime I have more to watch than I could probably do in my lifetime. Cold hard truth from this DVD/BD addict.

books   

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,441 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 05:29 AM

I think the Little House people are doing it right. I hope they sell a million copies. But...

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,031 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 03 2014 - 07:13 AM

I think the Little House people are doing it right. I hope they sell a million copies. But...

If these shows were the price of Little House, I'd be buying them all on the first day. I'd even buy The Honeymooners which I'm more of a casual fan of.

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 07:15 AM

I am a huge Lucy fan but I just will not pay that kind of money.  I own all the DVDs and like I stated have boxes of tapes in my basement.  The price is right after they all get a release I then may purchase a box set but even then I do not know.  I did purchase this years Christmas episodes and have to say I was glad that I did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users