What's new

3D THANK YOU, TWILIGHT TIME, FOR A MAN IN THE DARK (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
What a terrific example of early 3-D (so early that it is the only one of 65 3-D Blu's I own with a 1.33:1 ratio), on an exemplary disc!

Sharp, generally great contrast (except for some unfortunate rear-projection shots, such as the roller coaster chase), and with almost ghost-free viewing on my Panasonic.

Only caveat: Freeze-framing a few of the cooler 3-D pop-out shots, I was disappointed to see that non-removable time line rear its ugly head again. My understanding was that all releases as of January would not longer support this. In fairness, non of the other titles that came with that one did have a time line, so I assume this title was authored and replicated just before that new policy went into effect.

Other than that, Brave, Mr. Redman and Co.!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
bgart13 said:
Too bad the movie itself is a stinker...
Yeah, well... can't have everything.

I thought it was okay. But as a part of my 3-D library, it's a keeper!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Bob Furmanek said:
You don't own HOUSE OF WAX???
Well, Bob, don't know how I could have overlooked it... yes! I own HOUSE OF WAX, and it looks pretty decent on my Panny, but not quite as good as MAN IN THE DARK does. Probably the color vs. bw element. CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON looks great for me, too.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm very happy to have Man In The Dark - I preordered it as soon as it was available to do so, and it was a lot of fun to watch the day it showed up at my doorstep. I've said it before, but any classic 3D releases are instant buys for me!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
Sony has finished 3-D masters of MISS SADIE THOMPSON and THE MAD MAGICIAN ready to go...
To be released by Sony or Twilight Time?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
So far as I know, there are no plans for release at this time. The masters have been done for a few years now. They're both available theatrically in DCP.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Dick said:
Well, Bob, don't know how I could have overlooked it... yes! I own HOUSE OF WAX, and it looks pretty decent on my Panny, but not quite as good as MAN IN THE DARK does. Probably the color vs. bw element. CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON looks great for me, too.
Oh wow. IMHO, HOW is far better 3D than MITD. And it's a far better film. I was very disappointed with MITD. Creature is also far better, 3D and film-wise. If the current 3D films were as dimensional as HOW, we might not be worrying about the success of 3D.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bob Furmanek said:
Sony has finished 3-D masters of MISS SADIE THOMPSON and THE MAD MAGICIAN ready to go...
Now wouldn't that be something? I saw The Mad Magician projected in dual-strip 35mm back in 2011, the print looked new, and it made for a really fun double-bill with "House of Wax" (with the Three Stooges short "Spooks" playing between the features).

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Johnny Angell said:
Oh wow. IMHO, HOW is far better 3D than MITD. And it's a far better film. I was very disappointed with MITD. Creature is also far better, 3D and film-wise.If the current 3D films were as dimensional as HOW, we might not be worrying about the success of 3D.
Odd how the fifties classics, made without the aid of video assist, CGI or post production conversion, still manage to be better than most modern efforts.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
It would be interesting to know how fast Man in the Dark is selling. I haven't bought it as I didn't like the film when I saw it some time ago. The Mad Magician is much better and would be a pre-order for me. Not sure about Miss Sadie Thompson though.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Miss Sadie Thompson is a very good movie. IMHO, it's the best of the three versions of Somerset Maugham's Rain. Rita Hayworth really nails it as Sadie. They play a few things a little safe--it's never really clear she's a prostitute and Davidson is not a Reverand like he is in the story--but otherwise it's well worth getting. I would welcome a 3D Blu Ray of it.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Keith Cobby said:
It would be interesting to know how fast Man in the Dark is selling. I haven't bought it as I didn't like the film when I saw it some time ago. The Mad Magician is much better and would be a pre-order for me. Not sure about Miss Sadie Thompson though.
Both would be a buy for me. I love the 50's 3D films. There is just something about them that thrills me.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Todd J Moore said:
Miss Sadie Thompson is a very good movie. IMHO, it's the best of the three versions of Somerset Maugham's Rain. Rita Hayworth really nails it as Sadie. They play a few things a little safe--it's never really clear she's a prostitute and Davidson is not a Reverand like he is in the story--but otherwise it's well worth getting. I would welcome a 3D Blu Ray of it.
Todd,
I agree that Hayworth got the "good-time gal" vibe right. Crawford played it tough as nails. However, I think Swanson got it just right. Not hampered by the Code, she was able to play the prostitute who actually enjoyed having a good time with her "buddies," and director/actor got a lot of mileage out of that. This also makes Reverend Davidson's hypocrisy and fate more powerful than in Hayworth's version.
Too bad the final reel had disintegrated by the time I saw it in 35mm at MoMA during the Walsh retrospective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks