What's new

When you were young, which films did your whole school or class went to see? (1 Viewer)

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
It can be old or new, depending. And it has to be a huge hollywood blockbuster theatrical release.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Charlottes Web. Where The Red Fern Grows. 1776. The Parent Trap (whole school gym rental). The others were theatrical.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I don't recall the names, but they all seemed to be 16mm films that starred Clifton Fadiman.

Bill Coolidge

Stunt Coordinator
My Junior High went to see 1776 once. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time but several years later i checked the Broadway Cast Album out of the library and fell in love with it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No blockbusters (although I know you want Blockbusters).

We saw the same 16mm science series films that were highlighted
in the movie GREMLINS.

Also, Winter of the Witch

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Bill Coolidge said:
My Junior High went to see 1776 once. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time but several years later i checked the Broadway Cast Album out of the library and fell in love with it.
Since our little upstate-NY small-town school was a three-block walk from the local theater (one screen), we got to see 1776 as a fifth-grade lesson too, and worked out so well, we went back a year later to see the Sherman Bros. "Huckleberry Finn". 1776 was better, though.

Ronald Epstein said:
We saw the same 16mm science series films that were highlighted
in the movie GREMLINS.
Oh, you mean http://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-Unchained-Goddess-Richard-Carlson/dp/B0000AKY5V/ ? :D

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
As a special treat, our choir group went to see "Toy Story" on a Friday arvo, just a few days after it first opened in Australia. Went back the next day with my younger brother.

And our entire Year 10 class went to see Baz Luhrmann's "Romeo + Juliet", because we were studying it. It was supposedly meant to be an exclusive-only screening but the cinema received complaints from a few regular patrons who somehow managed to get in as well, about the 'unruly behaviour' of several students. I recall there was a fair bit of popcorn throwing and wolf-whistling going on.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I saw the March Of The Penguins, it wasn't the film though, it was real penguins at Edinburgh Zoo. ( late seventies )

I don't recall ever getting taken to the cinema to see a film by the schools here.

I do remember going to the Edinburgh UCI cinema in 1997 and buying tickets for Romeo and Juliet and Star Wars Episode V - Special Edition, now i was booked to watch Romeo and Juliet first and then straight onto The Empire Strikes Back, unfortunately a school had booked for Romeo and Juliet and were running late to see it, the cinema delayed it, i basically missed the final ten minutes of Romeo and Juliet and the first fifteen minutes of The Empire Strikes Back thanks to that school delaying things, i was not a happy bunny but i was only 27 and didn't get into complaining about things until i reached my mid thirties.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
For some reason the only film I remember seeing on a school trip or at school was Andromeda Strain. Why this film was shown to us, I really don't know.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ejanss,

I owe you an apology.

It was Frank Capra's Wonders of Life.

Didn't recognize it from the box art, but when I referenced it
on YouTube, I immediately recognized the scientist in the film.

Thanks for obtaining the name of that title.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
Nope. See link in post #8
I'm confused, that link goes to some other films, also IMDB says Capra never made a film called that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay...

This was a Frank Capra produced education film. There are two
of them, to be exact.

Back in the 70s, they were shown in our classroom on a 16mm projector.

Seems like a lot of people saw those same films as teens in their school.
So much so, that Joe Dante used a clip from it in Gremlins.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ronald Epstein said:
Okay...

This was a Frank Capra produced education film. There are two
of them, to be exact.

Back in the 70s, they were shown in our classroom on a 16mm projector.

Seems like a lot of people saw those same films as teens in their school.
So much so, that Joe Dante used a clip from it in Gremlins.
Okay gotcha, i was thinking he directed it but couldn't find that info anywhere.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Our school never took us to a theater but we sure had a lot of 16mm films shown in the gym. I particularly remember "The Love Bug" and "The Jungle Book", and of course the Disney nature films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks