Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: THE HTF ADDICT 3D REVIEW

Warner 3D Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,576 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 05:58 AM

post-269895-0-91416800-1364832359.jpeg

What can I say?  I love 3D!  From the moment I began watching 3D content in my home I quickly discovered that I needed more content.  I suspect that those of you just purchasing your first 3D hardware will acquire the same ferocious appetite.  That's why I became the HTF 3D ADDICT.  I personally love images that pop off the screen and come inches away from your face without becoming overly gimmicky.  However, I certainly appreciate the nature documentaries that offer beautiful depth and separation.  These are not necessarily reviews of the film themselves.  I am not going to concentrate on story or supplements -- you can find the 2D reviews elsewhere on this forum.  My job is to let you know exactly what kind of 3D experience to expect from the titles that are being released.   As I will be receiving a handful of new product from the studios expect to see more title coverage.

post-269895-0-63787200-1396175540.jpeg

The Hobbit:

The Desolation of Smaug

Studio: Warner Bros.

Product Release: April 8, 2014

Ratio: 2.4:1

Audio: DTS-HD MA 7.1
Running Time: 161 minutes

Rating: PG-13

post-269895-0-13032800-1364832432.jpg

On A Scale 0-5

Overall 3D Presentation Rating: 5

3D Separation: 5

3D In Yo' Face Factor: 2

"I am fire! I am death!"

-Smaug

Since this is my first review of any of the films within The Hobbit series, I am

going to spend just a little bit of time talking about my personal feelings towards

the original Lord of the Rings trilogy as well as what Peter Jackson has done with

these new Hobbit installments.

As a teenager, I was very much absorbed in the novels written by author J.R.R.

Tolkien.  I clearly remember the day I bought the first book, The Hobbit, and how

I spent the next several weeks engrossed in its story, slowly making my way to its

conclusion.   Of course, that was followed up by the purchase of the three book  

Lord of the Rings trilogy which included The Fellowship of The Ring, The Two Towers

and Return of the King.

Anyone who has read these books in their youth or as adults have these adventures

clearly burned within their memories.  They were meticulously well-crafted stories 

that inspired a wealth of imagination.  Clearly, these are the best fantasy novels 

ever written whose popularity have stood the test of time.

I mention all of this because I want to establish that I have a clear understanding

of the novels and how well the films represent the original material.  I have always

felt that Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy was an amazing cinematic 

accomplishment given the complexity of adapting those stories for the screen and

making Middle Earth a convincingly real world, thanks to the film's groundbreaking

CGI visual effects.  To date and perhaps forever more, the trilogy will stand as the

best fantasy film series of all time.  

When Peter Jackson announced he was finally moving forward with his plans to

return to the series and make two films based on the original novel, The Hobbit

fans were overjoyed by the news.  However, excitement soon turned to concern

when Warner Bros. announced that the planned 2-part film would now become

a three-parter.  

I think the fears of fans were somewhat realized in The Hobbit: An unexpected

Journey, a film whose storyline was overstretched, that for many, it became a

laborsome watch.  I know of die-hard Lord of the Rings fans who either fell

asleep or walked out of the theater from boredom.  There are others, like myself,

who have expressed a desire never to watch the original Hobbit film again.  Personally,

I feel Peter Jackson and the studio made a very poor choice to expand the storyline

to the point where pacing was adversely affected.

post-269895-0-00563100-1396186676.jpg

Fortunately, it seems like The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is not the same

weighted anchor that the first film became.  In fact, it's a rather exhilarating journey

that is more tightly edited, contains some solid action sequences, and some of the

most groundbreaking visuals that have ever been seen on screen thanks to the

efforts of Weta Digital.

Picking up immediately after An unexpected Journey, we find Bilbo Baggins (expertly

played by Martin Freeman) and his company of dwarves led by Thorin (Richard Armitage)

and Gandalf the Grey (Ian McKellen) continuing their quest to retake Lonely Mountain, a

kingdom of treasure that has been invaded by a rather nasty dragon named Smaug (voiced

by Benedict Cumberbatch).   In the original Hobbit film, we only saw quick glimpses of the

monstrous creature.  However, as the title suggests, this film belongs almost entirely to

Smaug, as he is finally revealed with eye-popping results.

To watch this film on 3D Blu-ray is a sight to behold.  Perhaps the reason for this is that

the film is presented across two discs, allowing for more bandwidth to be utilized for both

video and audio.  There is an unprecedented level of clarity that had my eyes squarely

glued to the screen in complete awe as I soaked in the fine details within the film's

massive set pieces.  The bar has certainly been raised with this transfer that offers

exceptional imagery, perfect color grading, and noticeable detail -- even within the film's

darker regions.  Rarely do I see picture quality of this magnitude when wearing 3D eyewear.

post-269895-0-17291900-1396186702.jpg

So, let's take things up a notch as I talk about the 3D presentation which serves to

make The Desolation of Smaug an even more exciting and emotional experience.  

For anyone hoping for any kind of pop-out gimmickry, there is none to be seen here

except for a rather grand (but brief) moment in the film (which I will talk about momentarily).

This presentation all about depth and the manner in which it effectively expands upon

the enormous set pieces which look larger than life.  There are some stunning 3D moments

to behold here as the camera swoops above then directly through various sets and scenery.  

One of my favorite moments is when the camera dives into the Mirkwood forest with its layers

of cloth spider webbing that seems real enough to touch.  As our group of travelers race into

the the home of Beorn, there are bumble bees that fly in and out of frame -- giving a distinct

"oh wow" impression that anyone watching the film in 2D would clearly miss.  At the beginning

of the second disc, falling snow (most of it digitized) within LakeTown gives a rather satisfying 

effect.  Film turns to thrill ride during the barrel escape scene which will ultimately stand as one

of the most breathtaking sequences ever filmed for the entire series. 

post-269895-0-74474600-1396186731.jpg

Another way in which this 3D offering really shines is how it brings out the massive 

scale and grandeur of the beast known as Smaug.  The only pop-out that exists in this

presentation occurs as he first awakens, his head rises, and snout protrudes forward.

It's not necessarily, "in yo' face," but a point is definitely being made in having the snout

extend itself directly into the audience.  This is the only moment in the entire film where

the slightest hint of ghosting is introduced.  Other than that, there absolutely no crosstalk

or any kind of abnormality that mars the absolute perfect image presentation.

post-269895-0-90877600-1396186753.jpg

This is the point in the review where I can proudly say that I no longer have to talk about

how 7.1 audio has been downconverted to 5.1 on my system.  As of last month I have

expanded my audio system to support 7.1 channels.  For me, this is an entirely new

in-home audo experience which will most likely explain why I am about to gush all over it.

For anyone whose home system supports 7.1 (and 5.1), I am assuming this is probably

the most immersive audio experience that could be had until Warner does a proper home

release of Gravity.   This is one hell of an active audio experience with rears working at 

full force to provide ambient effects which include several moments of sinister voices that

move fluently around the room and clearly into the two back rear channels (which resulted

in a huge smile on my face).  One of my favorite audio moments happens within the Mirkwood

forrest as the hissing sounds of spiders and their ghoulish dialogue surround and envelope

the listener.  It's here that you can sense the level of sonic detail within the mix, as you

clearly making out the individual steps of crawling spider legs.  Another terrific sonic moment

takes place at Dol Guldor, were Sauron is revealed to Gandalf.  The twisted, creaking sounds

of the fortress engulfs the listener.  Another memorable moment comes when we first meet

Legolas and his band of elves.  As they surround the dwarves, you can hear the sounds of

individual bows being drawn through every single channel.  This is a mix puts the listener

directly in the middle of the action while being swept off their feet by Howard Shore's 

beautifully epic score.  The presence of LFE is unmistakable, but yet never overpowering.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug arrives as a 5-disc 3D combo package.  As 

mentioned previously, the film is spread across two Blu-ray discs with a sort of abrupt

cutting point.  Two additional blu-rays make up the 2D version and Special Features.

The fifth disc is the DVD.  A Digital HD Ultraviolet presentation is also included. The Blu-ray

packaging is encased in a cardboard lenticular sleeve.

I will let other reviewers go into the special features included on these discs.  My reviews

are more about the presentation.

CONCLUSION

post-269895-0-95789300-1396186783.jpg

Prior to this review, Warner's Blu-ray release of Gravity held the top spot on my Top 30

most recommended 3D release list.  Amazingly, that top spot was given to a film that 

was not natively shot in 3D, but unconverted in post production.  With absolutely none 

of the pop-out that I personally prefer, I gave Gravity its award based upon is overall

immersive experience both visually and sonically.

However, Warner's neglect in providing a 7.1 track for Gravity is the reason why it has

now become unseated.

In short, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is an incredible, cinematic achievement 

that has been given a grand treatment on Blu-ray.  It's image quality is so exceptional 

that even 3D eyewear cannot diminish its level of detail.  The 7.1 mix serves as the icing

on the cake in making this the most immersive 3D experience to be had in the home.  For

that, it now ranks as what I feel, at the moment to be, the best 3D Blu-ray disc you can buy.

Images are for illustrative purpose only and not representative of the picture quality of this disc. 

Equipment

Samsung PN64F8500 display professionally calibrated by Gregg Loewen, Lion AV
Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu-ray Player

Denon 3311CI Receiver

Atlantic Technology H-PAS AT-1 fronts, 4400 center; 4200 rear side and back speakers

SV Sound Subwoofer

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 60 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 30 2014 - 06:54 AM

Day one at store opening for me. I Didn't make it to a theater for this one, first time in this series.

I am probably going to put these at the top of the list for my favorite ongoing series.

facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 60 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,576 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 06:58 AM

Tony,

I am surprised you have yet to watch this film.

What did you think of The Hobbit?  Did you dislike it as I did?

This second film really brought back the thrill of watching

The Lord of The Rings films.  I am so impressed by Peter Jackson

and his way of telling a story.  The action sequences in this film are

executed in the most amazing manner.

"Epic" is the only word I have to describe this film. 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 60 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 08:15 AM

I get the criticisms of the first one but I still enjoy it a lot.

Watched it at the theater several times.
That was a perk of being a manager at an Imax theater before we moved to FLa.

Then i watched it on 3D at home twice now.

Will Watch the extended first movie then Smaug next week.

As long as all these movies are (all the extended Rings and Hobbit movies) I may have watched them more then anything else in my collection over the last ten years.

The timing just wasn't good for us to get to see Smaug at a theater.

Edited by TonyD, March 30 2014 - 08:16 AM.

• Randy Korstick likes this
facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 60 OFFLINE   Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 636 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for your review.  I will probably be getting the theatrical release in 2D however and get the 3D for the extended cut.

#6 of 60 ONLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 937 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted March 30 2014 - 10:01 AM

I look forward to seeing a 3 hour movie extracted from the 9 hours telling the story of this superb book - probably a very long wait?

#7 of 60 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,279 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted March 30 2014 - 10:04 AM

Looking forward to receiving this one. My wife pre-ordered it for my birthday, which should arrive on street date, and we will finally get to see it all the way through in 3D this time. When we saw it in IMAX 3D last December, the right projector failed during the spider attack sequence (of all places), and the theater decided to screen the remainder in HFR 2D (but with only one projector, so it wasn't really a digital IMAX presentation). It was an overall bad experience that ruined the flow of the film.

#8 of 60 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,240 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 10:40 AM

I look forward to seeing a 3 hour movie extracted from the 9 hours telling the story of this superb book - probably a very long wait?

larrydavid.gif

facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 60 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 12:47 PM

"Epic" is the only word I have to describe this film."

I agree, great film. And Smaug is THE greatest CGI character of all times. So far, at least.

#10 of 60 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,717 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 06:42 PM

When we saw it in IMAX 3D last December, the right projector failed during the spider attack sequence (of all places), and the theater decided to screen the remainder in HFR 2D (but with only one projector, so it wasn't really a digital IMAX presentation). It was an overall bad experience that ruined the flow of the film.

That sucks!  However, I would have been really curious to see a portion of the movie in HFR 2D, as I don't think the HFR version was generally offered in 2D.  (I tried both IMAX HFR 3D and IMAX 3D on 15/70 film at 24fps.)

Had a similar experience - saw the midnight opening in IMAX 3D (15/70 film) at Lincoln Square in NYC.  Ian McKellen made a surprise appearance to introduce the film and started watching it with us -- about ten minutes in, the projector died and it took them an hour to fix.  An hour delay before a three hour movie that already was starting at midnight, not ideal.

#11 of 60 OFFLINE   Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit

• 356 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted March 30 2014 - 07:52 PM

I loved An Unexpected Journey. It's absolutely gorgeous to look at, and it's probably the most "peaceful" look at Middle Earth we'll ever see. It's a terrific introduction to world with just a hint of darkness starting to creep in. Slow? Perhaps, but after three LOTR movies of endless chases and battles it was nice just to spend some quiet time in this world. I do love Desolation as well, although the constant physics-defying action does stretch a bit thin after a while. (Apparently heat does not transfer in Middle Earth....being completely surrounded by fire or molten metal is perfectly OK as long as it doesn't touch you directly). Smaug more than makes up for any shortcomings the movie has, though.
  • cafink likes this
IMPERIAL OFFICER: Lord Vader, I can't find the Central Navigational Network!

VADER (points to control panel): This......is CNN.

#12 of 60 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 09:07 AM

Does anyone know if Family Video generally carry 3D bds? I'll rent this, but will wait to purchase the extended release later in the year. I really enjoyed the first part and didn't get the criticisms of it. I ended up missing this theatrically, too, as I did the first one.

#13 of 60 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 31 2014 - 01:48 PM

I feel like any review of this film should mention that, unlike the first movie, it has fart-all to do with the book. Which is not to say that I didn't enjoy it, but anyone expecting an actual adaptation of the middle part of the original story is going to be disappointed. At best, it's a "reimagining."

Fun movie, though.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#14 of 60 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,612 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 06:48 PM

Does anyone know if Family Video generally carry 3D bds? I'll rent this, but will wait to purchase the extended release later in the year. I really enjoyed the first part and didn't get the criticisms of it. I ended up missing this theatrically, too, as I did the first one.

Ours do. 

#15 of 60 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 10:54 AM

Thanks, DavidJ. I haven't been to a Family Video in years and it's the only place to rent from where I moved to.

#16 of 60 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,397 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted April 01 2014 - 11:56 AM

Has an extended version been announced?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#17 of 60 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,318 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 01 2014 - 12:46 PM

No but it's a very safe bet that it'll be out in November before the third movie is released theatrically.

• Dougofthenorth likes this

#18 of 60 OFFLINE   Dougofthenorth

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 04:25 AM

No but it's a very safe bet that it'll be out in November before the third movie is released theatrically.

So we can expect a later Extended version of this series, following the marketing ploy done for the LOTR 

series?? & then the boxed  "Mega" multi-disc set when all are done

For me this is a rent & watch - as they come out & buy the extended box set when all is done

Regards,

Doug

Save turtles: http://www.turtleshelltortue.org

#19 of 60 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 04 2014 - 11:02 AM

That's been my plan all along!

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#20 of 60 OFFLINE   EdReedFan20

EdReedFan20

Stunt Coordinator

• 76 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 02:11 PM

So we can expect a later Extended version of this series, following the marketing ploy done for the LOTR 

series?? & then the boxed  "Mega" multi-disc set when all are done

For me this is a rent & watch - as they come out & buy the extended box set when all is done

I personally hope that when disks are large enough, we will get a mega edit of LOTR which would make it a 12 hour epic (and do the same with the Hobbit Trilogy). And then, to go all out, they could combine both trilogies into one truly massive move to have a Middle-Earth Epic 20 hour-ish saga.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner, 3D Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users