Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

[ask] camera for my sister

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Gaptek Edan

Gaptek Edan

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 08:41 AM

next month I plan to buy camera for my sister's birthday, what is the appropriate camera for her as a beginner, whether DSLR or mirrorles,Posted Image my budget maximum of $ 600 US, please help recommendation type camera, thanks for your advise

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,234 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 29 2014 - 09:18 AM

For both threads...same answer.I've never bought a camera for somebody without them present.Cameras vary in button placement and onboard features. I have large hands. Ergo...I hate tiny buttons.My first camera was my father's hand me down Canon ftb. My first new camera(when I went off to film study as a hs summer program) was a Pentax.Why?It felt great in my hands.It doesn't matter how great a camera is if it doesn't fit your use.Give them both a gift card...and go with them.

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Gaptek Edan

Gaptek Edan

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 10:41 AM

ok thanks i will give her, thanks

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,715 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 01:39 PM

The reply Sam is giving you implies that you take your sister to the shop. That may involve giving her a "note" as the actual present on her birthday.

If for any reason you cannot do that, you will have to make a decision yourself.

If you can you may still want to know which cameras to have her look at first in that shop, even if she would eventually choose another one.

It makes a lot of difference whether you (and your sister) choose a DSLR or not. For a starter (and pretty long to be used after that start), I myself would think about the Nikon D3100/3200/3300 (the first one is still available in shops and a fine camera, the last one has been announced shortly ago).

If you choose a compact, or a "system camera", other posters may have suggestions, I don't feel confident enough to advise you about those.

Cees

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Gaptek Edan

Gaptek Edan

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 09:32 AM

The reply Sam is giving you implies that you take your sister to the shop. That may involve giving her a "note" as the actual present on her birthday. If for any reason you cannot do that, you will have to make a decision yourself.If you can you may still want to know which cameras to have her look at first in that shop, even if she would eventually choose another one. It makes a lot of difference whether you (and your sister) choose a DSLR or not. For a starter (and pretty long to be used after that start), I myself would think about the Nikon D3100/3200/3300 (the first one is still available in shops and a fine camera, the last one has been announced shortly ago). If you choose a compact, or a "system camera", other posters may have suggestions, I don't feel confident enough to advise you about those. Cees

i dont have enough money for d3300, i think d3100/d3200 best choise, thanks for your advise

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,715 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 02:05 PM

The D3100 is considered an excellent DSLR camera, especially for a beginner, and in most countries at a very attractive price.

But... she may like a compact better. Or an iPad.

Cees

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   jrdnlc

jrdnlc

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 03:00 PM

Get her a Fujifilm x100S.

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted March 31 2014 - 08:35 PM

D3100...excellent entry-level DSLR.

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Gaptek Edan

Gaptek Edan

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 06:38 AM

The D3100 is considered an excellent DSLR camera, especially for a beginner, and in most countries at a very attractive price.

But... she may like a compact better. Or an iPad.

Cees

Get her a Fujifilm x100S.

D3100...excellent entry-level DSLR.Posted Image

She want a camera with lens can be replace or change

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,715 posts

Posted April 02 2014 - 01:00 PM

She want a camera with lens can be replace or change

That's a DSLR.

(Or a "system camera", which is also called a mirrorless camera. But I really cannot bring myself to advise you to buy that for her. Someone else may, however.)

Cees

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Gaptek Edan

Gaptek Edan

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 08:50 AM

d3100.jpg Posted Image

Finally i was buy nikon d3100 for my sister thanks, tomorrow i will give this camera to my sister

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,715 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 09:37 AM

Congratulations.

A little beauty. If she doesn't have much practice yet, she would probably be best served setting the dial on top right, to the green "Auto" position.

(Then read some about photography, practice a lot and set it to "P(rogram)". Then: even more sophisticated.)

And perhaps one day then, we read about her as a celebrated professional photographer. :)

Cees

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,481 posts

Posted April 12 2014 - 06:25 AM

Good choice

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (256 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,690 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 14 2014 - 09:29 AM

Good choice

Maybe.  The more I think on it the more I come to believe that buying anything more advanced than a digicam for an aspiring photographer as a gift is a bad idea.  At best you will do what happened here, get them a mass market 'safe' choice that may or may not meet their actual needs.  Worse you could buy them something that they have no interest in actually learning how to use.

If you are lucky you will get them something that inspires them, but that comes at untold costs that they are now resposible for, not you.  The 'box' of the camera is just the tip of the spear.  To make it sing you need:  Knowledge, experience, talent, time spent becoming familiar with it.  And then the software:  Editing, backing up and printing.  And then the anciliary hardware:  printer, editing computer, backup gear, calibration tools, monitors, bags, lenses, toys and accessories.  And then hundreds of dollars a year in prints.

For a lifetime.

=)

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,715 posts

Posted April 14 2014 - 12:12 PM

Sam,

Very true in general, I think.

But in this case she specifically asked for an interchangeable-lens camera, apparently, so probably she knew what she was asking for. Or willing to take the next step.

Cees

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,690 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 06:07 AM

True.  One thing I forgot to mention about DSLRs is they are a -commitment-.  What do I mean by that?  They are like carrying around a brick.  A anchor with a diaper around it to use Gallager's imagery.  It's way more convenient to have a phone in your pocket, a digicam on a rope or even a mirrorless in a small bag than it is to lug a DSLR around all the time.

#17 of 25 ONLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,022 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 11:04 AM

It's weird, I take a ton of photos each year, but I seldom print many of them out. :D

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,715 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 12:50 PM

Neither did I.

But ever since I have a granddaughter, it appears to be necessary, once more. The other grandparents wanting a little album devoted to her. A niece making something nice for the parents, etc.

Almost as if a photo not printed isn't a real photo.  :)

(And using digital printing services, I let it print slightly bigger than I used to in the old days.)

Cees

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,690 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 01:46 PM

Costco for the win.

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,770 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 15 2014 - 02:43 PM

It's weird, I take a ton of photos each year, but I seldom print many of them out. :D

Me either. Any prints I order are usually enlargements to hang on the wall framed. I never print 4x6 photos like in my film days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users