What's new

Samsung connections to Sony STR-DE705 (1 Viewer)

Carl Noe

Auditioning
Hello audiophiles. I need some help with connecting a new Samsung TV model # UN60F7500 with my Sony FM Stereo model STR-705. The stereo only has RCA type connectors and s-link.
The TV has one small audio out receptacle and an optical out? What are my options here?
How can I connect to get the best function from my stereo with on air antenna broadcast and streaming movie apps like Amazon instant video? Thanks.
Oh. I do not have cable or dish tv.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Carl Noe said:
Hello audiophiles. I need some help with connecting a new Samsung TV model # UN60F7500 with my Sony FM Stereo model STR-705. The stereo only has RCA type connectors and s-link.
The TV has one small audio out receptacle and an optical out? What are my options here?
How can I connect to get the best function from my stereo with on air antenna broadcast and streaming movie apps like Amazon instant video? Thanks.
Oh. I do not have cable or dish tv.
http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-AGPtek-Digital-Optical-Converter/dp/B005DIRI6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396058744&sr=8-1&keywords=optical+rca

Carl Noe

Auditioning
Thanks for the link. Will I also need a "tios" cable to make this connection?What type of signal comes from the audio out mini jack and the ex-link? Which one should I use for a line out? Could either port be used with a unpowered mini jack to RCA cable ?As you can tell from the questions, my understanding of digital sound is somewhat lacking.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The TV is not intended to be the hub in the first place.What sources are you using? Do those not have analog?What mini-Jack are you talking about? Your TV only has an optical output. "What comes out of signal comes out?" If it were the internal tuner, 5.1...which you can't use.If apps, what does the manual say?If HDMI inputs, you get 2.0 PCM.All this is in the manual of the TV.

Carl Noe

Auditioning
The TV is not intended to be the hub in the first place. What sources are you using? Do those not have analog? What mini-Jack are you talking about? Your TV only has an optical output. "What comes out of signal comes out?" If it were the internal tuner, 5.1...which you can't use. If apps, what does the manual say? If HDMI inputs, you get 2.0 PCM. All this is in the manual of the TV.
"What sources are you using" My only source is antenna coax. I do not have a set top box or other source."What mini-Jack are you talking about?" The one that is labeled AUDIO OUT."If apps, what does the manual say?" The user manual contains no useful information. The E-manual ditto. It speaks of HDMI sources but the Sony has no HDMI ports.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
According to Samsung's (totally worthless) website...The TV has a mini-Jack for PC input(It you have an older than dirt computer) .The only audio output is optical(which is Toslink).Look again at that mini-Jack.There are three possibilities here...1. It is an input and you misread it.2. It is a headphone jack just like every portable device has had for close to 40 years(like cassette walkman from the 80s to iPhones, iPods, BlackBerry, android).3. It is a combi-Jack. Mini-toslink and headphone. If you have to...take a picture and we'll tell you your options. And yes, Samsung product info flat out sucks ass.

Carl Noe

Auditioning
100_0413.JPG

Sorry for the bad photo. This port is labeled "AUDIO OUT". I think it is a headphone mini-jack? In the TV specs it is called a "ANALOG AUDIO OUT".
I guess to enable the best sound I should get your recommended optical out converter and cable.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is a trrs mini-jack?Does it really send video with audio?If that is what it says...get a trrs 1/8 to composite video/audio.What do you have plugged in now?

Carl Noe

Auditioning
I have an older Sanyo VHS/DVD player plugged in there and the audio and video both work from the Sanyo. But I want to leave it as is and be able to set sound levels for the Sony receiver without going through the VHS/DVD. The photo shows the AUDIO OUT jack below the cables in the picture. It also has the optical outlet higher up and out of the photo.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Carl Noe said:
The photo shows the AUDIO OUT jack below the cables in the picture. It also has the optical outlet higher up and out of the photo.
That picture sucks.What you describe means...You have that trrs.You already have RCA analog.It has a third optical.

Carl Noe

Auditioning
attachicon.gif
100_0413.JPG

Sorry for the bad photo. This port is labeled "AUDIO OUT". I think it is a headphone mini-jack? In the TV specs it is called a "ANALOG AUDIO OUT".
I guess to enable the best sound I should get your recommended optical out converter and cable.
Sorry for the bad photo. This port is labeled "AUDIO OUT".
Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread