Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What would you like to see from Twilight Time next?

Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#81 of 202 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,615 posts

Posted April 07 2014 - 04:16 PM

Feelarama? Now we know what inspired the "Feel A Round" sketch in Kentucky Fried Movie! :lol:

#82 of 202 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,259 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hmmm...maybe TT is taking the month of July off to celebrate their birthday. :)

I'm just being ansy. Why should TT have to adhere to a first-week-of-every-other-month announcement for new titles? I kinda wish they did it month to month, as Criteria does. Then, though the number of titles listed is shorter, one doesn't have to wait for such a long time for the next batch to be announced.

No intent to criticize... this just shows you how eager I (and many of us, surely) are for news of more upcoming TT releases!

#83 of 202 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted April 08 2014 - 05:20 PM

Well Rick, I still have two yet to be watched TT titles from last month (Conrack and Fever Pitch...the former possibly tomorrow night, and the latter this weekend), with a fresh lot of 5 on the way from this month. Plus there are still 2 more months of pre-orders (10 titles) before summer even hits. By that point in mid-2014, TT will have already released the same number of Blu-rays they did during all of 2013. And these recent babies aren't light on features either...The Blue Max and Alfredo Garcia required almost a week apiece to assimilate the isolated scores and multiple commentaries. Heck, Equus included another full 2 hour feature on Burton which I just finished, expanding that disc's play into a 3 or 4 day festival!

I guess what I'm saying is that apart from enjoying those little quarterly surprises whenever TT's new announcements do go up, it's not like I have a dearth of movies to watch or ways to watch them in the meantime (BTW, the Equus commentary was yet another trove of fascinating background detail thanks to M. Redman and M. Kirgo).

So as far as TT's summer batch goes..."What the hey Mae"...they get to them when they get to them. I mean, it's not like I've had any shortage of great viewing lately. :drum:

#84 of 202 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,259 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 10:32 AM

Well Rick, I still have two yet to be watched TT titles from last month (Conrack and Fever Pitch...the former possibly tomorrow night, and the latter this weekend), with a fresh lot of 5 on the way from this month. Plus there are still 2 more months of pre-orders (10 titles) before summer even hits. By that point in mid-2014, TT will have already released the same number of Blu-rays they did during all of 2013. And these recent babies aren't light on features either...The Blue Max and Alfredo Garcia required almost a week apiece to assimilate the isolated scores and multiple commentaries. Heck, Equus included another full 2 hour feature on Burton which I just finished, expanding that disc's play into a 3 or 4 day festival!

I guess what I'm saying is that apart from enjoying those little quarterly surprises whenever TT's new announcements do go up, it's not like I have a dearth of movies to watch or ways to watch them in the meantime (BTW, the Equus commentary was yet another trove of fascinating background detail thanks to M. Redman and M. Kirgo).

So as far as TT's summer batch goes..."What the hey Mae"...they get to them when they get to them. I mean, it's not like I've had any shortage of great viewing lately. :drum:

All true, and as I said, not a criticism.

#85 of 202 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 12:32 PM

I know, I know Rick. I was just a little surprised that anyone was even thinking about TT's summer/fall slate yet. For me, part of it is not really wanting to know that far ahead anyway. I mean, it seems like the board talk about a particular title goes on for half a year before we even get to the pre-order date, and then it's another month or so after that.

This is equally true for every label's announcements...more than 2-3 months ahead of release, and it might as well be coming next year...at least for me. My Blu-ray dance card these days is already full. ;)

#86 of 202 ONLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 483 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted April 09 2014 - 12:46 PM

Well, my BD dance card is full as well, but, as I am not getting any younger, like the song says, more, more, more.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#87 of 202 OFFLINE   RBlenheim

RBlenheim

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 08:44 AM

THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL, BOUND FOR GLORY, WOMEN IN LOVE.

#88 of 202 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 325 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted April 10 2014 - 08:56 AM

Honestly? Nothing. They are taking stuff out of the market for no good reason. I can't afford $30 a disc on a very regular basis, and they are issuing catalogue titles, essentially, which, in some cases, would sell more than 3000 copies if released into the regular market. But releasing into a niche they benenfit some collectors, but really only those who have secure incomes, i.e., middle-class boomers. But there are others, myself included, who don't have access to unlimited funds, and simply can't afford to lay out several hundred dollars a month just to acquire titles they have loved for years. And if you look at Screen Archives shopping pages, they too are selling-on budget discs just like Amazon and everybody else. The TT titles are only a part of their business. As far as I can see, they do very little more than make it impossible for collectors on a budget to get some of the nicer catalogue titles. It's a flawed business model that belongs back in the laser-disc age. The only TT I'm going to buy this year is Frankenheimer's The Train, because I loved the film since I first saw it on release, and it won't be released by anybody else in BR anytime soon. For the other TT titles, often one can sidestep them by getting European versions, but that's a chancey business. I don't think TT really is a benefit to collectors considered as a whole, only to a select, relatively well-off few. 'Twas ever thus, I guess.

#89 of 202 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 09:08 AM

POPULAR

Honestly? Nothing. They are taking stuff out of the market for no good reason. I can't afford $30 a disc on a very regular basis, and they are issuing catalogue titles, essentially, which, in some cases, would sell more than 3000 copies if released into the regular market. But releasing into a niche they benenfit some collectors, but really only those who have secure incomes, i.e., middle-class boomers. But there are others, myself included, who don't have access to unlimited funds, and simply can't afford to lay out several hundred dollars a month just to acquire titles they have loved for years. And if you look at Screen Archives shopping pages, they too are selling-on budget discs just like Amazon and everybody else. The TT titles are only a part of their business. As far as I can see, they do very little more than make it impossible for collectors on a budget to get some of the nicer catalogue titles. It's a flawed business model that belongs back in the laser-disc age. The only TT I'm going to buy this year is Frankenheimer's The Train, because I loved the film since I first saw it on release, and it won't be released by anybody else in BR anytime soon. For the other TT titles, often one can sidestep them by getting European versions, but that's a chancey business. I don't think TT really is a benefit to collectors considered as a whole, only to a select, relatively well-off few. 'Twas ever thus, I guess.

You know, I swear I've heard this line of argument before! In fact, it was right here in this forum! Isn't that strange? :)

• Craig S, Brandon Conway, ahollis and 3 others like this

#90 of 202 OFFLINE   larryKR

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 06:43 PM

I don't know if the Columbia TriStar (Sony) release " Devil In A Blue Dress " (1995) would be available to Twilight Time, but it would please me if they released a HD version.

• davidmatychuk likes this

#91 of 202 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,059 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted April 10 2014 - 06:56 PM

Still waiting for Twilight Time to release The Offence. I will be offended if they don't :)

• ROclockCK likes this

#92 of 202 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,853 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted April 10 2014 - 07:13 PM

Yawn!!
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#93 of 202 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 10:54 PM

Still waiting for Twilight Time to release The Offence. I will be offended if they don't :)

You would! :rolleyes:

#94 of 202 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,059 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 11:38 PM

The best defense for TT is a good The Offence I always say. I'm just waiting for Mr Redman to respond to my request with a witty quip, like "No Offence intended."

#95 of 202 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 05:15 AM

I confess, I've never seen The Offence, unless it was exhibited in N.A. under a different title.

Great cast though. Venerable director. And it is United Artists, sooo...

#96 of 202 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,059 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:55 AM

It definitely lives up to the capabilities of the talent involved. I'd describe it as a very unsettling movie that stays with you for days after you've seen it. Not the type of film I usually go in for, but after seeing it for the first time on DVD a few years ago, I promised myself I'd wait until a Blu-ray release before watching it again.

#97 of 202 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 942 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted April 11 2014 - 09:27 AM

I would like something in b & w.

#98 of 202 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 09:49 AM

I would like them to release more 30s and silent-era films, particularly the latter in regards to the Fox library.  Niche titles like silents are very well suited to the TT model.  Not saying they should go all out on obscurities, but maybe at least throw a bone once or twice, even if it's just an upgrade of Fox's Ford or Borzage DVDs.

#99 of 202 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,673 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 11:17 AM

I wouldn't mind the Astaire-Hayworth musicals (You'll Never Get Rich / You Were Never Lovelier)

#100 of 202 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 01:47 AM

Way Way Out is a Paramount production, so it would be released under their current distribution agreement with Warner, like "The Nutty Professor" in a few months...

Are you sure? WAY WAY OUT was a Fox production, so unless Jerry had ownership in it (like Paramount gave him with his prime movies), it should still be at Fox and within TT's grasp.

Perhaps you're thinking of the Hal Wallis-produced VISIT TO A SMALL PLANET? That one is a Paramount property, or at least they got it back after merging with Viacom.

"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users