What's new

Help making decision on speakers (1 Viewer)

josh.imhoff

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
I'm new to this, so here goes:
My room: 15' x 20' with 9' ceilings
80" TV

I'm looking to purchase the Denon AVR-X3000 receiver.

There are so many choices regarding what speakers I should get. I'm looking for nice sounding 5.1 speakers including a sub that will be clear, with good mid range and solid base. My price cap for the speakers + sub is $1000. All of the speakers need to be wall mountable (I have kids that will destroy floor standing speakers). I've looked at reviews of Polk, Mirage, Harman Kardan, Energy, Bose and Definitive Technology speaker systems. I was going to get a Bose system but I keep reading that they are over priced and I could do much better with putting a system together myself. I really have no idea which ones to purchase as there are good and bad reviews of each. Since my room is large, I need a system that is loud enough to fill the room. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
KEF KHT.Or the the E series.$1000 is tight as most subs are $200 at least.Most if the time, you are doing it wrong if your speakers aren't at least the same cost as everything else.My opinion...Buy less AVR to have more speaker budget.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You might put up some narrow but stout shelves instead of wall mounting, at least in the front.

GregC

Stunt Coordinator
josh.imhoff said:
I'm new to this, so here goes:
My room: 15' x 20' with 9' ceilings
80" TV

I'm looking to purchase the Denon AVR-X3000 receiver.

There are so many choices regarding what speakers I should get. I'm looking for nice sounding 5.1 speakers including a sub that will be clear, with good mid range and solid base. My price cap for the speakers + sub is $1000. All of the speakers need to be wall mountable (I have kids that will destroy floor standing speakers). I've looked at reviews of Polk, Mirage, Harman Kardan, Energy, Bose and Definitive Technology speaker systems. I was going to get a Bose system but I keep reading that they are over priced and I could do much better with putting a system together myself. I really have no idea which ones to purchase as there are good and bad reviews of each. Since my room is large, I need a system that is loud enough to fill the room. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Thanks!
If it were me, I'd spend less on the Receiver and more on the speakers. $500 on the Receiver, $500 on the Sub and $1000 on the speakers. The more you can spend on the speakers, the better sound you will get.

Don't rely on reviews .. get out there and listen. Speakers are very different (even if they measure similarly) and what one person likes, the other doesn't. Once you get a feel for what you like, the odds of being satisfied with your purchase will be much greater. If you just buy something you haven't heard, odds are you will be trading up in a year or two.

Bottom line, let your ears decide.

Audio14

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
The Def Tech 1000s or you can also consider the MartinLogan Motion 4s along with the Dynamo 500. Keep the receiver as is, just in case you decide to add more speakers or do towers in the future perhaps as the children get older.

josh.imhoff

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
I went to Best Buy and listened to what they had. I decided on the Denon AVR-X4000 and the Def Tech 600s. The x4000 appears to be a very nice receiver. I got them to price match the lowest price I could find online for the receiver (which was a very good price). The speakers came in a package deal for a reasonable price as well. I'm probably going to upgrade the front speakers to the 1000s and might use the 600 fronts for the sides for a 7.1 config. I was very pleased with the sound quality of the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks