What's new

Does any one still put line outs on receivers? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beatdr

Grip
Real Name
Dustin Ruffner
Hi, I just got an Onkyo HT-S5600 after what I thought was enough research but I guess I was wrong. I am trying to hook up a theater to my pa system and I just need a stereo out. The zone 2 only plays analog signals but the reason I got it was to be able to use hdmi. I jus twant an out that puts out a stereo signal to a line out the same as the amp is playing. I looked a several and alot don't even have a line out and ones that do don't play hdmi. It didn't say for this so I went for it thinking I could probaly use the yrw rca component out if I had to but that won't work either. Every old receiver Ive had would work fine. Is there a receiver that still does that? Any help would be great, thanks.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Line-outs are usually found on mid- to high-end receivers. What you want is the old-school A/B switching capability. I don't know of any receivers that have A/B offhand, but using the term might help your search.

I never understood the move to the zone feature. I must be a very vanilla person because I don't see why people find themselves wanting to play a different source in a different part of their house at the same time they are using zone-1. And even presuming they do, since the zone-2 is stereo, they can't want a very high-end signal in there. So why not just drop another inexpensive receiver in the other location, and get the added convenience of having the controls local? Now having a B-channel playing the same thing, THAT makes sense to me - parties, decks, that sort of thing.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Al.Anderson said:
Line-outs are usually found on mid- to high-end receivers. What you want is the old-school A/B switching capability. I don't know of any receivers that have A/B offhand, but using the term might help your search.

I never understood the move to the zone feature. I must be a very vanilla person because I don't see why people find themselves wanting to play a different source in a different part of their house at the same time they are using zone-1. And even presuming they do, since the zone-2 is stereo, they can't want a very high-end signal in there. So why not just drop another inexpensive receiver in the other location, and get the added convenience of having the controls local? Now having a B-channel playing the same thing, THAT makes sense to me - parties, decks, that sort of thing.
Agreed. The benefit of other zones is the addition of separate source for them and separate volume control. Other than that, it basically IS the same as "B" speaker terminal; just a fancier one IMO, since you are still limited to no bass management for those zones and in nearly all cases analog only.

As mentioned, all you really need to look for in the specs (or pics of the back) are full preamp outputs and you won't get that until the mid-level receivers. Pretty much all of the decent brands on the market have models that have them.

beatdr

Grip
Real Name
Dustin Ruffner
Ok thanks. I don't really need to have an "on off / ab" or volume or eq control for the line out I can do all that on the pa system mixer. I just want to use the reciever as a mixer of sorts for the hdmi and what not signals. I will use the surround sound speakers for movies/games but to really "rock out" I can use the 4 15" with horn 1000w JBL speakers witch will blow out most any home theatre set up, volume wise. I've seen the preamp outs but looks like they are for each channel not just a stero out. Anyway thanks again looks like I'll be sending it back. Damn. Any recomendations on a reciver and spaekers set for under $1000 ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
beatdr said:
Ok thanks. I don't really need to have an "on off / ab" or volume or eq control for the line out I can do all that on the pa system mixer. I just want to use the reciever as a mixer of sorts for the hdmi and what not signals. I will use the surround sound speakers for movies/games but to really "rock out" I can use the 4 15" with horn 1000w JBL speakers witch will blow out most any home theatre set up, volume wise. I've seen the preamp outs but looks like they are for each channel not just a stero out. Anyway thanks again looks like I'll be sending it back. Damn. Any recomendations on a reciver and spaekers set for under $1000 ?
Look for an Onkyo 605 or Integra DTR 5.8. On Ebay. To hit $1000, New, you have to buy an Onkyo 717...find one, buy it...tell us what you paid.

beatdr

Grip
Real Name
Dustin Ruffner
Ok. But the $1000 thing I meant speakers also. If I had about $400 to spend on speakers after about $600 on the reciever what would you recomend? I have an old set of walmart special philips suround sound 5.1 but want to upgrade. Ok I guess I need to jump to a speaker thread now huh?

beatdr

Grip
Real Name
Dustin Ruffner
What is a good reciever that would have a line out or I mean a pre amp out? How much should I save for speakers or reciever? I mean with $1000 (not set in stone) what is going to be the $$$? I did look and it looks like the Onkyo TX-NR828B would be a nice upgade but only if I don't have to send the whole thing back or if I could get some money for the stock one.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
beatdr said:
What is a good reciever that would have a line out or I mean a pre amp out? How much should I save for speakers or reciever? I mean with $1000 (not set in stone) what is going to be the $$$? I did look and it looks like the Onkyo TX-NR828B would be a nice upgade but only if I don't have to send the whole thing back or if I could get some money for the stock one.
You found it. The 828 is the cheapest, period, new AVR with pre-outs. The next cheapest is the X4000 Denon. Cheaper, as an open box, is the Pioneer 1523(those were $780 Amazon Warehouse Deal)...

Those are your choices, period.

If you go older...to save money...

Onkyo 705/706/707/708/709/717
Integra DTR 5.8/5.9

Denon, anything 3000(3310/3311) or 9xx(990/991)

Yamaha 6XX(665/667/671)

Those are the easiest ones to figure out. Used Elite tend to cost more than your budget makes worth it.

beatdr

Grip
Real Name
Dustin Ruffner
Ok I looked at those, thanks. That seems like it would work but then I need speakers. I think I like the onkyo because I've herd the mane before. never herd of integra other then the acura.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks