What's new

The year is almost a third over and what has Warner given us? (1 Viewer)

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
This is beginning to look just like last year. Big promises from Warner "we will be pleased with all kinds of releases for all tastes"And- Paramount releases where??? I give up.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Technically were only about a quarter over (not quite).But your point is valid about the lack of announcements. And last year's fourth quarter was sparse as well.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
In terms of classics we have "The Women" and "The Time Machine" to look forward to, but I know where you are coming from Trajan.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Im sorry but announcements for discs from others have been made already well into the year.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
lukejosephchung said:
Trajan, according to the calendar, we're still FOUR DAYS from ending 2014's FIRST QUARTER...not even 3 MONTHS into the year, and already you're bellyaching about this!!! :thumbsdown:
Go ahead and defend them, but let time prove me wrong.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
TravisR said:
^ You may well be right but can't you use one of the other multiple threads that you've started on the same basic topic?
This is the year almost over[not quite] 2014 edtion thread.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Every year the first quarter is always the slowest, every year this conversation happens...

For the record, Jan-Mar '14 WB distributed new-to-Blu catalog releases:

The Americanization of Emily (1964)
Boiler Room (2000)
City of Angels (1998)
Death Wish (1974) (Paramount)
El Dorado (1966) (Paramount)
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957) (Paramount)
Hairspray (1988)
Hatari! (1962) (Paramount)
The Killing Fields (1984)
Performance (1970)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981)
Stop-Loss (2008) (Paramount)
Tequila Sunrise (1988)
Two Weeks Notice (2002)

And what did we get from Disney and Lionsgate combined in that time?

The Jungle Book (1967)
The Jungle Book 2 (2003) (Yes, this was a theatrical release)

Buffalo '66 (1998)
The Wicker Man (1973)

Where are the every-other-day threads yelling at them?

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Yes, it might be a bit early,but I don't have a good feeling about the rest of the year.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Well let's seeGunfight at OK CorralHATARIEl DoradoFunny FaceThe WomenThe Time MachineSabrinaTightropeSorcerer The Big Red OnePerformanceThe Americanization of Emily Point BlankEtc, etc.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Brandon Conway said:
Every year the first quarter is always the slowest, every year this conversation happens...

For the record, Jan-Mar '14 WB distributed new-to-Blu catalog releases:

The Americanization of Emily (1964)
Boiler Room (2000)
City of Angels (1998)
Death Wish (1974) (Paramount)
El Dorado (1966) (Paramount)
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957) (Paramount)
Hairspray (1988)
Hatari! (1962) (Paramount)
The Killing Fields (1984)
Performance (1970)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981)
Stop-Loss (2008) (Paramount)
Tequila Sunrise (1988)
Two Weeks Notice (2002)

And what did we get from Disney and Lionsgate combined in that time?

The Jungle Book (1967)
The Jungle Book 2 (2003) (Yes, this was a theatrical release)

Buffalo '66 (1998)
The Wicker Man (1973)

Because, Warner ownes 90 % of the movies I would like. Its just a personal thing.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I can understand the frustration.Yes, the first quarter is usually light on releases, but where are the announcements?And from the list above, only one from the 50s. Where are the 30s, 40s, 50s titles? The 'studio system' essentially ended in the mid60s/early 70s. Apart from The Women, where is the studio output from RKO, MGM, and Warner Brothers?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
David Weicker said:
And from the list above, only one from the 50s. Where are the 30s, 40s, 50s titles? The 'studio system' essentially ended in the mid60s/early 70s.
A fair point, but how much are the rival studio companies delivering of that same era? Fox is obviously the exception and clear blu-ray champ of 2014, but who else is even bothering with those era outside of a few token standouts (i.e Universal)? The 50s+ has always been the preferable back catalog on blu-ray. Even Twilight Time very rarely releases 40s or 30s titles.

While WB has the largest classic library, do they also have the largest budget to release them all on blu-ray? They're doing as well or better then their contemporaries.
Brandon Conway said:
They really are piling up. There must be 10 threads made in the past 2 months relating to WB that are basically: "Why haven't they updated every DVD they ever released on blu-ray by now?" as if the classic home video market is really strong enough these days to even make 50% a reality in the near future.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I agree with trajan it has been a slow start to the year. I am very pleased to have received Gunfight but there doesn't seem to be much more in the pipeline to satisfy my interests, which are: MGM musicals, RKO film noir, Paramount VistaVision, Bogart and many others. I would have thought High Society would be a good seller and better than The Women.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Didier R said:
You don't make any sense. But we're used to it.
Was that last addition necessary?
Don't think so.

Please refrain from person-aimed unpleasantries.
Thanks.

Cees

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
JoHud said:
While WB has the largest classic library, do they also have the largest budget to release them all on blu-ray? They're doing as well or better then their contemporaries.
Warner has BY FAR the largest classic library, and not only that, they have probably 75-80 percent of all the best movies from the pre-1960 era. I agree with the OP and their lack of activity in that regard is alarming. Blu-ray is not getting any more viable for classics, and the Warner Archive for Blu-ray is practically a non-starter (don't think they've released a single movie from the Hollywoods Golden Age.)

Universal hasn't released much from that era because the overall quality of their movies from that time is not very good. They're known for their horror films, serials and B-movies, but not much else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks