Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Americanization of Emily -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray MGM Warner A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 09:31 PM

POPULAR

Arthur Hiller's 1964 The Americanization of Emily has always been a special film to me.  Released in 1964, and in black & white, it captured an era when Hollywood was beginning to change.

Led by James Garner, an actor whose work I always enjoy seeing, and Julie Andrews -- released between two musicals in which she had starred.

Representing the older generation, the incomparable Melvyn Douglas.

I believe I mentioned black & white.  Beautifully photographed by Philip Lathrop.

What's important is that that beautiful black & white photography has been rendered, well.

Beautifully.

A terrific Blu-ray and a film that stands the test of time magnificently.

Did I mention a screenplay by Paddy Chayefsky?

Working from a prime visual element, dupes and field enlargements are obvious.  Original photography - gorgeous.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

• MatthewA, Conrad_SSS, JoHud and 1 other like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 09:46 PM

I have yet to see the blu-ray, and haven't seen the movie in ages, but I can always remember Melvyn Douglas's admiral character demanding ""The first dead man on Omaha Beach must be a sailor!"  I really need to put the blu-ray on my schedule.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 06:17 AM

Just realized Judy Carne has a small role.  Knew I knew the face.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,262 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 27 2014 - 06:41 AM

I sometimes hate to admit to how many great films I have allowed to pass me by.  This is another one.

SOLD.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 10:19 AM

Only James Garner could deliver those diatribes, and not annoy.  Interestingly, Julie got the role, because the original director of THE SOUND OF MUSIC (William Wyler) wanted Audrey Hepburn for Maria (while Ernest Lehman wanted Julie Andrews), and to placate Lehman (and possibly make Andrews unavailable for TSOM), Wyler suggested Andrews to Marty Ransohoff for 'Emily'.  Of course, Wyler was replaced by Robert Wise, who also wanted Julie Andrews, and the shooting schedule of MARY POPPINS was such that due to special effects and animation, principal photography was finished earlier, making Andrews available for both THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY and THE SOUND OF MUSIC.   

• davidHartzog likes this

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 481 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted March 27 2014 - 10:27 AM

Great film I saw at the time, definite BD purchase.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,337 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted March 27 2014 - 01:08 PM

I don't suppose this film is included in the latest 5 for 50 WB Archive sale?

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted March 27 2014 - 01:19 PM

I don't suppose this film is included in the latest 5 for 50 WB Archive sale?

It is not, sadly.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?

• 1,337 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted March 27 2014 - 03:27 PM

Gotta have it anyway. If I order from Amazon instead of WB Archive, will I get a pressed copy? Or does it matter.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 542 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted March 27 2014 - 03:37 PM

I had never seen this until Warner released their terrific "Controversial Classics" box. "The Americanization Of Emily" was its crown jewel, I thought, and after this review the Blu-Ray is a must.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,851 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 27 2014 - 03:40 PM

Gotta have it anyway. If I order from Amazon instead of WB Archive, will I get a pressed copy? Or does it matter.

All Blu-rays released by Warner
Archive are pressed.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Flashgear

Flashgear

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted March 27 2014 - 07:11 PM

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive...this is truly a great film and essential for James Garner fans, of which I am one...I also really love Julie Andrews of course...and here they are with their also great co-stars Melvyn Douglas and James Coburn...and the still resonant and relevant Chayevsky screenplay... I also appreciate the subtle irony that director Arthur Hiller  (a Canadian) in directing his wonderful British and American leads  thus represented the three great nations that landed their armies on the Normandy beaches of Operation Overlord's D-Day landings...

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,112 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted March 29 2014 - 07:28 PM

James Garner says that it is his favorite of all the movies he has made. The chemistry between Garner and Julie Andrews is genuine - they have been good friends ever since, and she wrote the forward to his autobiography.

Rich Gallagher

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 05:49 AM

This is a great film and a must see. I can understand why Garner loves it so much. I have not ordered it yet but I will soon. I'm a fan of Chayefsky and I hope his other work makes it to blu-ray as well. Would love to see The Hospital make it to blu.

• Richard Gallagher likes this

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,132 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted March 30 2014 - 12:25 PM

Wow....just WOW! I had not seen this before but just watched the new BD. It immediately goes into my personal Top 25. The writing, acting, everything is impeccable. Not a false note to be found. As for the "speeches", I never found them unrealistic....this is movie-making before everything had be encompassed in a catchphrase or a sound bite. When real thoughts could be fully expressed without worrying that your audience lacked the sophistication to understand their meaning.

As for the transfer, I can't imagine it looking any better.

I'll be thinking about how much I enjoyed this one for days....and kicking myself for not having seen it before.

Bravo
  • davidHartzog likes this

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,228 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 03:53 PM

Garner, Andrews, and Coburn all called Emily their favorite movie.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, MGM, Warner, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users