What's new

Help with an HDTV for consoles and general use, please. (1 Viewer)

testudoaubreii

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Hello,

As you can probably tell, I am a brand spanking new member here, so I say hello!

I am looking for an HDTV that is great for playing PS3, PS4, just a little bit of PC gaming and, of course, movies. What I mean is that 95% of the TV's use will be for consoles. I am stuck on make, model and size. I have been messing around with PC monitors so long that I am totally out of the loop when it comes to good TVs.

I was hoping to get some help from all of you knowledgeable folks over here. My budget is around $300-400. I will not be needing any sort of Smart TV with internet capabilities or 120 Hz. I think that I just need a good, quality HDTV with 60 Hz and that is it. If I had to choose size, I guess I would say anywhere between 32"-47". Actually, I think I am pretty much open when it comes to size. I know that is a big window, but I really do not know. I will be sitting about 3-6 feet away, for now, but we are moving soon and it will have its own place off of my desk, where it will be further away.

I hope that made some sort of sense. Thank you in advance for all help.

Testudo

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Buy a 42" plasma. At your budget you'd get 720p. But every plasma is faster than every LCD. If you move to $500, you can get a 1080p plasma.

testudoaubreii

Auditioning
Real Name
John
schan1269 said:
Buy a 42" plasma. At your budget you'd get 720p. But every plasma is faster than every LCD. If you move to $500, you can get a 1080p plasma.
Thank you very much for your response!

I can move to $500. Can you offer any suggestions on brand and model for me, please?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Panny if you can find one. LG owns Zenith. Sears sells Zenith...soBut, between Samsung and LG/ Zenith...A $500-ish 1080p plasma is a wash.Try and look at both and pick the one that, for you, has the easiest menu and better remote.If you were at the "other end" buying a $2000+ 60"...Samsung.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum John :)

Just be mindful that burn-in is still a reality for plasma, moreso than any other technology. Put some hours on the TV before any gaming marathons that display static images like HUDs and status bars and such. Enable the pixel orbiter feature if available.

testudoaubreii

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Type A said:
Welcome to the forum John :)

Just be mindful that burn-in is still a reality for plasma, moreso than any other technology. Put some hours on the TV before any gaming marathons that display static images like HUDs and status bars and such. Enable the pixel orbiter feature if available.
Thank you!

Thank you everyone for the responses. I really appreciate it.

I have a change in budget. I am going to sell my 47" LG 3D SmartTV. It is a really nice TV, but I think that I need to go bigger for the room that I am in. I can bump my budget up to $800-1000. Again, I don't need it to be 3D, SmartTV or internet ready. I am thinking about maybe a 50-55" LED. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Testudo

testudoaubreii

Auditioning
Real Name
John
schan1269 said:
Thank you!

What about LG plasmas? This one, LG 60" 60PN5000 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV, is $598.00. Is that a good deal, good brand and a good picture?

I am also looking at the new Vizio E- line that was introduced not too long ago.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E550i-B2-55-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00GKKI4JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395940342&sr=8-1&keywords=55%22+led

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Buy a Vizio if you want a door stop in 13 months.

Where are you finding the 60PN5000 for $598?

I would run to wherever that is.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just Googled it...

Walmart has it for $598?

Apparently WalMart has a great price on the Samsung 60F5300 as well(have to sign and and "checkout" just to see the price)

testudoaubreii

Auditioning
Real Name
John
schan1269 said:
I just Googled it...

Walmart has it for $598?

Apparently WalMart has a great price on the Samsung 60F5300 as well(have to sign and and "checkout" just to see the price)
Yeah, and they have it at the store that I live by. I have been reading some pretty nasty things about it breaking down pretty quickly.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you use/have a warranty doubling credit card, don't worry about it.

Or their 2yr is decently cheap($65??). Once a TV makes it to month 18...they tend to live a while. And every manufacturer has its lemons. I still prefer LG over Samsung...except for where LG no longer competes(IE, the high end F8500...which you aren't buying)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks