Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Ghost and Mrs Muir - coming to DVD in Australia

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,008 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 25 2014 - 08:15 PM

The first 2 seasons of "The Ghost and Mrs Muir" have been announced for 16th April.  Very exciting news for fans of this fondly-regarded sitcom.  

More info here:

http://www.madman.co...ries/home/17824

And the cover art:

Posted ImagePosted Image

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 08:38 PM

Day one, both volumes -- if it doesn't sell out.

That show played for years down here, especially in the early years of color television after it was introduced in 1975, playing on the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Commission) channels.

Also, pretty funny show, making a star out of Charles Nelson Reilly, among others.

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   stuartfanning

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted March 26 2014 - 01:46 AM

Day one, both volumes -- if it doesn't sell out.

That show played for years down here, especially in the early years of color television after it was introduced in 1975, playing on the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Commission) channels.

Also, pretty funny show, making a star out of Charles Nelson Reilly, among others.

Bit of a bizarre release though as it only lasted 2 seasons as it never really caught on in the US. Cancelled in the US after one season by one network (NBC), came back on another network (ABC) for a second season and then was cancelled again. Sounds like it was more popular outside the US, from what you said about its airing in Australia, and from what I can remember it was the same in the UK.

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 331 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 10:53 AM

I remember this occasionally in syndication in the 80s.  Hope Lange is very pleasant, and the last episode of season one has Harry Nilsson in a guest appearance, singing two songs (presumably uncut on the DVDs).

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green

Supporting Actor

• 616 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 11:35 AM

What are the chances that it will be released here in the USA?

I would hate to buy this PAL version, and then have it released here a year later.

Incidentally, Hope Lange won two emmy awards for best actress for this show--beating out Elizabeth Montgomery for Bewitched.

"Congratulations. You're still in the running towards becoming America's Next Top Model."

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,851 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 26 2014 - 12:52 PM

As I remember, it came on Saturday nights, and I never missed it. I loved this show.

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   DaveHof2

DaveHof2

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 12:53 PM

I would hate to buy this PAL version, and then have it released here a year later.

Incidentally, Hope Lange won two emmy awards for best actress for this show--beating out Elizabeth Montgomery for Bewitched.

which, with all due respect to Ms. Lange, is pretty astonishing. She won her 2nd Emmy over not just Elizabeth Montgomery but also Marlo Thomas for 'That Girl.'

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   stuartfanning

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted March 26 2014 - 07:11 PM

I think US release unlikely. Hope Lange also was nominated for a Golden Globe for this too.

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,008 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 26 2014 - 07:19 PM

In hindsight the notion that Ms Lange beat out Montgomery for "Bewitched" is ludicrous.  Maybe the fact that Lange was a movie star tilted the voters in her favour??

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   dhammer

dhammer

Second Unit

• 311 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 03:03 AM

I don't know if I would say it is an unlikely release here in the USA unless someone has some inside knowlege about this issue. I have a ridiculously large dvd collection. However, I would buy this release. I really liked the show and found it very entertainning and charmng. I have a multi-region dvd player but I really would prefer to have a US release so I think I will wait a while.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 05:46 AM

I hope that if this series is popular then Madman night consider releasing Nanny and the Professor too. 

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,412 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 06:53 AM

The show's writing enabled Miss Lange to turn in some fine acting. I don't think Liz ever had much of a chance because Bewitched was far sillier than Ghost. Liz remains the most popular, but Ghost was definitely a wonderful showcase for Hope's range.

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,558 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted March 28 2014 - 07:04 AM

POPULAR

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR and NANNY AND THE PROFESSOR both had a charm that was increasingly rare by the late sixties.  And season one of MRS. MUIR was especially refreshing because the emphasis was more on the relationship between the two leads and less on the two kids.  When it moved over to ABC for season two, it's obvious that the new network ordered them to place more emphasis on the children in order to attract a younger audience.  As a result, just as with later seasons of BEWITCHED and season two of HERE COME THE BRIDES, the uniqueness and romance of the original premise was de-emphasized in an attempt to turn the show into something more familiar and juvenile.

However, I don't mean to knock MRS. MUIR as a TV series in any way.  I wish television today offered up things that are as innocent and happy as THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR.

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 09:09 PM

Hope Lange was pretty popular and coming off a decent run in films, and while my memories of TGAMM are dim, I recall it as a pleasant, light entertainment that took a more adult, gentler comedic take on another spiritual sitcom premise. Bewitched, not to offend the faithful, had veered further into the wacky in its later years, stretching the premise to its limits with four seasons already behind it. Not to take anything away from Ms. Montgomery, but sometimes the show would sink to trying to surf Gilligan's Island-like stories (and i like both GI and Bewitched, so don't him me too hard!;^)

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,008 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 28 2014 - 09:16 PM

Many (if not all) of the episodes from "Ghost and Mrs Muir" are currently on the 'Tube...

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   cwilli

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted March 28 2014 - 11:33 PM

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   MBrousseau

MBrousseau

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts
  • LocationQuebec City, Canada

Posted April 22 2014 - 05:30 PM

Yesterday, I ordered season 1 and 2 from an australian DVD store on the net.  Since there is no plan to get them here in Canada (or US) in NTSC, let it be  PAL! Though I hate PAL speedup, I can't wait any longer for watching this very special TV show, close to my heart. I'll let you know about the quality of the masters taken for these releases, if you are interested.

Girl power rules: Samantha, Jeannie, Jaime 
Come visit my You Tube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/ez2me2009

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   bluelaughaminute

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted April 26 2014 - 01:18 PM

I don't know if I would say it is an unlikely release here in the USA unless someone has some inside knowlege about this issue. I have a ridiculously large dvd collection. However, I would buy this release. I really liked the show and found it very entertainning and charmng. I have a multi-region dvd player but I really would prefer to have a US release so I think I will wait a while.

You don't usually need to be multi region for Madman releases as their dvd's  are often region free 

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,288 posts

Posted April 26 2014 - 03:24 PM

Not in my experience.   I've ordered only twice from them but they have always been R4 sets.

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   bluelaughaminute

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted April 27 2014 - 01:53 PM

Equally , the Madman releases I have are region free.

Depends who the copyright holder is I expect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users