What's new

Prometheus 2 begins filming in the fall (1 Viewer)

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
"Prometheus" -- how can you get a sequel out of that picture?

It left the barest elements of story/plot to work with -- it would be like making a sequel to "The Black Hole" if you remember how that picture ended: what were they going to do, start again on another planet?

Besides all the interesting characters had been killed off in both movies, who cared about who was left to carry on? Would there be a rescue team sent to find them, to be used as cannon fodder again?

I think all the experts on this board can take it from there -- if they made it as a direct prequel to "Alien" (no more of this yes/no routine that it is/isn't a prequel like last time), if they did this, they might get away with it at the box office. If not, forget it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think all the experts on this board can take it from there -- if they made it as a direct prequel to "Alien" (no more of this yes/no routine that it is/isn't a prequel like last time), if they did this, they might get away with it at the box office. If not, forget it.

That was my problem with the film.

The hype led everyone to believe it would be an Alien prequel.

I believe that Ridley Scott denied that it was....

....but it was.....in a rather strange, off kind of way. I mean, the
same Space Jockey and ship were used in the film.

If he had done a true Alien prequel that everyone could relate to
better (rather than being vague as to just what he hell was going on),
it may have been a better film.

...then there are the characters. Many people I have discussed this
film with hated the creepy, female lead (Noomie Replace) and the
supporting cast that acted like a bunch of irresponsible fools while in
the alien vessel.

It was just a horrible picture that I could not believe someone like
Ridley Scott was tied to.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought Prometheus was easily the third best movie that Ridley Scott ever made. Though that says way more about what I think of Scott's work than any love of Prometheus. He did two great movies over 30 years ago and everything else he's done has ranged from 'just' good all the way down to garbage so I'm confused as to why people had such high hopes for Prometheus. I'll have the same low expectations for Prometheus 2 (if it happens).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Gotta agree with what's being said here. As far as I'm concerned, the only two Ridley Scott films worth watching are Alien and Blade Runner. My reaction to this news is "who cares?"

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was watching a episode of Space Rangers yesterday, thank you thank you mill creek thank you, and just having a ball. I have 2 DVDs of Ice Pirates (one for backup). I...well should I keep on...?

Let there be Prometheus 2! The first was fun on a different level than the first 2 Alien movies. If they want to really do a Alien 5 it should be called Alien 5.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'd add Thelma & Louise to a list of Ridley Scott's essential movies. After that, he has made other good films, like Black Hawk Down. I was not a fan of Gladiator, which is a good film. I also thought Legend and American Gangster were good films.

I'm optimistic about Prometheus 2 - they're bringing in a new writer for one thing, and Fassbender is good in everything. AND the next film will have to bridge the gap with the first Alien.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
IMO Prometheus was silly, poorly written, poorly acted for the most part, and a narrative disaster. I cared not one whit for any of the characters. Supposedly professional scientists sent to a distant, unknown world on a massively expensive mission, they acted like stupid schoolchildren squabbling on the playground. The motiviations of the "engineers" made no sense whatsoever and the surviving alien discovered by the crew behaved like the Frankenstein monster. The film was a hot sloppy mess, and is one of the worst pieces of work Ridley Scott has ever done as far as I'm concerned. It sure did LOOK wonderful though.

I can only hope that the sequel makes up for the mistakes of the first movie and delivers what Prometheus should have delivered - smart, engaging, thoughtful, thrilling science fiction from one of the most masterful filmmakers working today.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I personally loved Prometheus. It had a few minor flaws, namely too many characters. It would have been better if they cut a few out who were there JUST to get killed before the halfway point. Overall, though, it was just the kind of sci-fi film I wished there were more of. I had always heard that Scott wanted to make more than one movie of this, so it didn't surprise me at all when there were a few un-answered questions at the end of the film. My only concern was that a sequel wasn't going to be made, so this is GREAT news to me.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This is great news because I absolutely loved PROMETHEUS. The hatred toward the film is something which I found truly baffling. It totally divided audiences but I still don't understand why. To me, most of the complaints were nit-picking irrelevancies compared with the overall spectacular style and theme of the film.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Click here for the article

This makes me sad.

I realize my opinion may not be of the majority, but Prometheus was
a total disappointment.

In fact, I found it to be a rather awful film.
I agree with you Ron. A wasted opportunity. I'm sure they can't salvage a workable good story from what they have. Most likely will be worse than the first one.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Sam Favate said:
I'd add Thelma & Louise to a list of Ridley Scott's essential movies. After that, he has made other good films, like Black Hawk Down. I was not a fan of Gladiator, which is a good film. I also thought Legend and American Gangster were good films.

I'm optimistic about Prometheus 2 - they're bringing in a new writer for one thing, and Fassbender is good in everything. AND the next film will have to bridge the gap with the first Alien.

I think the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven is a very good movie and should be on list.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Douglas R said:
This is great news because I absolutely loved PROMETHEUS. The hatred toward the film is something which I found truly baffling. It totally divided audiences but I still don't understand why. To me, most of the complaints were nit-picking irrelevancies compared with the overall spectacular style and theme of the film.
This.

Had some issues with the film, but think the main reason some nerds rage out against it is because of its ties to the Alien universe, overlooking the fact that it was a far more intelligent picture than most of the other movies released in 2012. Anyone going into Prometheus two years ago expecting another Alien deserved to be disappointed.

There was a ton of potential in Prometheus that's not beyond reach yet. Prometheus's main problem is that it wants to be too many things at once. Alien prequel, hard-SF metaphysical exploration of the secret origin of human life, creepy Lovecraftian horror-story, evil corporate-agency story. Too many ingredients to be serviced in the finished film.

If they can dial it back a bit, and just focus on telling a good story about the Engineers without feeling the need to shoehorn in Alien references left and right, it could actually be decent. Plus, Fassbender was the best thing in the original, and having him play a disembodied head for the entire film would be amazing.

(Also, it was one of the most gorgeous films I've seen in a while. I hope Dariusz Wolski is returning.)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I thought Prometheus was easily the third best movie that Ridley Scott ever made. Though that says way more about what I think of Scott's work than any love of Prometheus. He did two great movies over 30 years ago and everything else he's done has ranged from 'just' good all the way down to garbage so I'm confused as to why people had such high hopes for Prometheus. I'll have the same low expectations for Prometheus 2 (if it happens).
Travis I think there were many people that saw Ridley Scott's name linked with movie in the "alien" universe there were thoughts it would be the proper film to get franchise back on track. Prometheus looks great, however I hated the story so much it doesn't even count for me. Looking at the reviews at Amazon, I don't think I've ever seen people so divided on a movie. If ever there was a movie that deserves the quote "either you love it or you hate it" it would be this movie.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I going to defend Scott's filmography a little bit here. Judging the man for only directing TWO all-timers (and we can actually argue that number) seems pretty specious to me.

First things first, the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven was an exceptionally mature work. Epic in the David Lean sense, relevant, visually stunning. I consider that one of his best films.

Perhaps Gladiator hasn't aged well, but it was a welcome return to old-school Hollywood swords-and-sandals epics, with a ferocious lead performance and modern (post-Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan) versimilitude. It didn't accidentally win Best Picture.

American Gangster and Body of Lies may not be Alien or Blade Runner, but they were exquisitely crafted films, with great direction and performances, telling interesting stories.

Ridley Scott makes movies, and he moves around the genres almost as much as Spielberg. A Good Year, Hannibal, Matchstick Men, etc. The guy pumps them out, and they are always on the right side of the bell curve for quality direction and visual acumen. I haven't even mentioned Legend, or Black Rain, or Black Hawk Down.

They haven't all been great, but I'll even take his Robin Hood over the dogshit being pumped out by Len Wiseman, Brett Ratner, or McG any day of the week.

When Michael Mann calls you one of the best shooters in the business, that probably counts for something. I'm not terribly excited about the prospect of another Prometheus, but the fundamental failure of that film was its script. Scott shares in that blame, for certain. I'm not thrilled the guy tapped to fix it is known for Green Lantern, either.

But I'll defend Ridley Scott all day, and I'm thrilled he is still pumping out films. Even if it is a sequel to Prometheus.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
joshEH said:
This.

Had some issues with the film, but think the main reason some nerds rage out against it is because of its ties to the Alien universe, overlooking the fact that it was a far more intelligent picture than most of the other movies released in 2012. Anyone going into Prometheus two years ago expecting another Alien deserved to be disappointed.
I wasn't disappointed with Prometheus because it didn't turn out to be a direct prequel to Alien. I was disappointed because I thought it was a bad film, period, particularly considering the talent involved. There just wasn't much intelligence on display anywhere in the story, even though Scott tried to set it up as such right from the get-go by ripping off the opening scene from 2001. As far as I'm concerned this is its main flaw.

Again, just my opinions and to each their own. I can only hope that Ridley and company get their act together with #2.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Chuck Mayer said:
I going to defend Scott's filmography a little bit here. Judging the man for only directing TWO all-timers (and we can actually argue that number) seems pretty specious to me.
I did sell Ridley Scott short in my previous post because the man is a visual genius and nearly without peer in terms of creating an image. However, his visuals alone don't save his movies for me.

As for him being than guys like Len Weisman or McG, I agree but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks