Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ El Dorado -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray Paramount Warner A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 of 31 OFFLINE   Vegas 1

Vegas 1

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted March 24 2014 - 09:40 AM

Just saw Hatari, El Dorado and Gunfight at the OK Corral this weekend at Sam's Club for $8.95ea, so not to hard on the wallet to

upgrade.

#22 of 31 OFFLINE   JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 435 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted March 24 2014 - 01:30 PM

For whatever reason, this seems a somewhat common occurrence with older films.  I'd be curious why this is done but my guess is that it's done to prevent the loss of opening titles text due to overscan on some sets.

I've read (though I don't have a source, sorry), that studios are required to windowbox or squeeze opening titles if the text extends to the far edges, past the "TV safe" zone for overscan cropping. This is mandated so that credited actors don't get their names cut off.

Considering that modern HDTVs don't have the same sort of overscan problems that old CRT sets did, this is a very antiquated rule that needs to be revised.

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#23 of 31 OFFLINE   atcolomb

atcolomb

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted March 24 2014 - 05:39 PM

I saw this for the first time a few months ago on the HDNET movie channel and was impressed on how sharp the film was and it looked great to me...and a good movie too.  Can't wait to see Criterion's blu-ray release of Hawk's Red River coming soon.

#24 of 31 OFFLINE   ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 342 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted March 24 2014 - 08:15 PM

...and with a bit of digital work that doesn't appear to have been necessary...

So, would it be safe to assume this looks like something shot on film rather than on digital media?

---------------

#25 of 31 OFFLINE   Cineman

Cineman

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 11:22 PM

... To answer the query below, while I  have no real experience in the area of whorehouses being lit up like the 4th of July...

I have seen the entire run of Deadwood, and would use that as an example.

My intent was to signify a great deal of light, where one might not expect as much.

RAH

Well, as someone who has spent more time than I'd care to admit in whorehouses, I can assure everyone else that is one place you generally do not want a lot of light. However, never having been in one on the 4th of July as I recall, that might be the exception, assuming everyone in there, customers and staff alike, are wearing extra thick beer goggles on that particular holiday...

:blink:  :D

#26 of 31 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,732 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted March 24 2014 - 11:41 PM

El Dorado is good, but Rio Bravo is better.

#27 of 31 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,473 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 25 2014 - 01:15 AM

Since the former is basically a remake of the latter, that's not surprising. :)

#28 of 31 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 03:27 AM

For me, El Dorado is the better of the two. It could be because I prefer Mitchum and Caan or maybe it depends on which one is viewed first. Having viewed El Dorado first it makes it seem like Rio Bravo is the remake.

#29 of 31 OFFLINE   verneaux

verneaux

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 05:03 AM

I saw El Dorado first but I like Rio Bravo better. El Dorado treats the drunkeness of Mitchum as comedy (it's fun but I prefer Dean Martin's more realistic struggle).

#30 of 31 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,200 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 07:13 AM

Well, as someone who has spent more time than I'd care to admit in whorehouses, I can assure everyone else that is one place you generally do not want a lot of light. :blink:  :D

Someone I know went on a police raid of strip clubs.  The cops brought UV lights into the rooms used for private dances. Oh brother . . .

#31 of 31 OFFLINE   AshJW

AshJW

Second Unit

• 285 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted March 26 2014 - 12:12 AM

Rio Bravo or El Dorado? -> Both :)

I rated my films over the years, and both got a 100%-rate. Maybe it's because I watched them - I don't know how often - on TV when I was a kid.

I simply love them both, same with Hatari! or The Magnificent Seven (both also 100%). The majority of my eleven 100%-films * are older ones.

And because of this, it's just a shame with Hatari! At least El Dorado seems to look OK (didn't got it yet).

my 100%-films:BullittEl DoradoGarden StateHatari!Kill Bill Vol.1North By NorthwestOut of SightRio BravoStar WarsThe Magnificent SevenThe Maltese FalconInteresting: all U.S. films. Not a single European film in that list. :)

my BD's

Hollywood-Icons_HTF.jpg

Projector (Panasonic PT-AE2000) / "Amleto 160 90 Diamond"-Screen (73") / Receiver: Pio VSX-921 / BD-Player: Sony BDP-S5100 (code free)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users