What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hatari! -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Howard Hawks' Hatari!, a trifle of a film from the great Howard Hawks, has arrived from Paramount via WB.

It appears to be derived from separation masters, and appears to be relatively clean.

Love the belt buckle.

Image - 2

Audio - 4

RAH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Certainly one of the five worst Blu-ray transfers ever. I give it a minus 5 :) I'm assuming this is the same as the overseas release, at least that's what I read.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
haineshisway said:
Certainly one of the five worst Blu-ray transfers ever. I give it a minus 5 :) I'm assuming this is the same as the overseas release, at least that's what I read.
Maybe I'm feeling generous with a solid 2.

RAH

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Robert Harris said:
Maybe I'm feeling generous with a solid 2.

RAH
I have the British release, which I assume is the same. I think a "2" is about correct. I was disappointed more than anything, but it doesn't look that bad. Is the OCN in such a state (for a 1962 film) that they would have to use the separations?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
John Hermes said:
I have the British release, which I assume is the same. I think a "2" is about correct. I was disappointed more than anything, but it doesn't look that bad. Is the OCN in such a state (for a 1962 film) that they would have to use the separations?
I quite like this film. Is it worth upgrading from the DVD?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I have no choice but to tell myself it's watchable for a one-time viewing, since (1) I've never seen it, and (2) while in Costco yesterday snatching up El Dorado et al, I completely blanked out on haineshisway's prior warnings about this transfer, and plunked down the additional $12.99. Oy!

But I do have to see it once. Right?

After which, I'll send it back out into the world.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Still, this not-too-great BD makes Universal's SPARTACUS (a minus 1000?) look like Fox's THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY. I bought it and although it could be much, much better, ANY classic film that get a release in this day and age is a miracle and is a must buy for me.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I just see nothing that's miraculous about a horrible transfer for a beautifully photographed film like Hatari, which could look amazing. It's ugly, verges on being out of focus, and looks nothing like this film should look. Otherwise, I suppose it's lovely.

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
There is way too much sharpness enhancement. Hatari is short on story and character. What it has going for it are the adventure and the photography (plus a decent Mancini score). This is on the verge of unwatchable.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Robin9 said:
I quite like this film. Is it worth upgrading from the DVD?
If you're willing to wait, I imagine that eventually it will be packaged together with other John Wayne titles and you can get it then.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JoeDoakes said:
If you're willing to wait, I imagine that eventually it will be packaged together with other John Wayne titles and you can get it then.
A good point. Thank you. Trouble is: I'll probably by then already have all the other John Wayne movies on Blu-ray! :)

Randal Gist

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Randal Gist
I'm a huge fan of Howard Hawks fan and find Hatari! great fun & highly enjoyable; but unless I can catch this blu at a real bargain rate, I'll stick with the DVD for now. Too bad so little care is taken with many catalog titles.

ArnoldLayne

Premium
Real Name
Chris
RAH, I wonder if you have or could gather any insight into the future prospects for this film? I sure would like to see an impressive reissue! Thanks

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I was 12 when I first saw this theatrically, and returned to see it a second time. It's not a great John Wayne or Howard Hawks film, and it falters in its last half-hour (which is overlong and anti-climactic), but it has atmosphere and a great sense of adventure. These days the capture of animals in the wild for transport to zoos can be viewed several ways: as either an egregious dislocation of animals from their natural habitat for the edification of zoo patrons, or as a means of protecting certain species from extinction (which, at the time of its release, in 1962, was not an especially vibrant issue).

In any case, I have always been fond of the film, and the prior video incarnations (VHS, laser, DVD) did not satisfy me. But, then, lo and behold, the Blu-ray looks worse than any of them!! What the hell, Paramount/Batjac?? This is a major property for you. Why can't you at least do a new scan of the elements and give us this generally wonderful adventure in a new, corrected Blu-ray?

Last edited:

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I love the film. When I was growing up, shows like Wild Kingdom and a competing show narrated by William Conrad (something like Wild World of Animals) were on every week, and I've always had a fondness for the safari and animal capture adventures. Mogambu also comes to mind (with Clark Gable, Grace Kelly, and Ava Gardner also comes to mind).

The only thing I don't care for is the Duke's fascination with Red Buttons.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I love the film. When I was growing up, shows like Wild Kingdom and a competing show narrated by William Conrad (something like Wild World of Animals) were on every week, and I've always had a fondness for the safari and animal capture adventures. Mogambu also comes to mind (with Clark Gable, Grace Kelly, and Ava Gardner also comes to mind).
Oh yes, the Wild, Wild World of Animals.I had forgotten about that show, thanks for the reminder. I would love to see it again.
I have some episodes of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom on DVD, and it is great to watch Marlen Perkins and Jim Fowler.

And to get back on topic, I also would like a new transfer of this film.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
For me Hatari! is one of my all-time favorites.
But that is probably because I have fond memories from my childhood. ;)

It has it flaws, but I don't mind them. :)
I can still remember seeing Hatari and Big Red on the same bill (two first run movies!) back in 1962. The good old days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks