Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Hatari! -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray A Few Words About Warner Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,610 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 08:53 PM

Howard Hawks' Hatari!, a trifle of a film from the great Howard Hawks, has arrived from Paramount via WB.

It appears to be derived from separation masters, and appears to be relatively clean.

Love the belt buckle.

Image - 2

Audio - 4

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,373 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 23 2014 - 09:26 PM

Certainly one of the five worst Blu-ray transfers ever.  I give it a minus 5 :)  I'm assuming this is the same as the overseas release, at least that's what I read.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,610 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 09:41 PM

Certainly one of the five worst Blu-ray transfers ever.  I give it a minus 5 :)  I'm assuming this is the same as the overseas release, at least that's what I read.

Maybe I'm feeling generous with a solid 2.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted March 23 2014 - 09:51 PM

Maybe I'm feeling generous with a solid 2.

RAH

I have the British release, which I assume is the same.  I think  a "2" is about correct.  I was disappointed more than anything, but it doesn't look that bad.  Is the OCN in such a state (for a 1962 film) that they would have to use the separations?

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,919 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 09:17 AM

I have the British release, which I assume is the same.  I think  a "2" is about correct.  I was disappointed more than anything, but it doesn't look that bad.  Is the OCN in such a state (for a 1962 film) that they would have to use the separations?

I quite like this film. Is it worth upgrading from the DVD?

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted March 24 2014 - 10:59 AM

To me, while it's a long way from where I'd like it to look, it's certainly better than the old DVD.

• Robin9 and ahollis like this

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,270 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 24 2014 - 11:58 AM

I have no choice but to tell myself it's watchable for a one-time viewing, since (1) I've never seen it, and (2) while in Costco yesterday snatching up El Dorado et al, I completely blanked out on haineshisway's prior warnings about this transfer, and plunked down the additional $12.99.  Oy!

But I do have to see it once.  Right? 

After which, I'll send it back out into the world.

• Adam Gregorich and ahollis like this

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 03:42 PM

Still, this not-too-great BD makes Universal's SPARTACUS (a minus 1000?) look like Fox's THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY.  I bought it and although it could be much, much better, ANY classic film that get a release in this day and age is a miracle and is a must buy for me.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,373 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 24 2014 - 05:41 PM

I just see nothing that's miraculous about a horrible transfer for a beautifully photographed film like Hatari, which could look amazing.  It's ugly, verges on being out of focus, and looks nothing like this film should look.  Otherwise, I suppose it's lovely.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   verneaux

verneaux

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 05:22 AM

There is way too much sharpness enhancement. Hatari is short on story and character. What it has going for it are the adventure and the photography (plus a decent Mancini score). This is on the verge of unwatchable.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 07:07 AM

If you're willing to wait, I imagine that eventually it will be packaged together with other John Wayne titles and you can get it then.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,919 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 09:15 AM

If you're willing to wait, I imagine that eventually it will be packaged together with other John Wayne titles and you can get it then.

A good point. Thank you. Trouble is: I'll probably by then already have all the other John Wayne movies on Blu-ray!  :)

• Adam Gregorich likes this

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Randal Gist

Randal Gist

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 02:59 PM

I'm a huge fan of Howard Hawks fan and find Hatari! great fun & highly enjoyable; but unless I can catch this blu at a real bargain rate, I'll stick with the DVD for now. Too bad so little care is taken with many catalog titles.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, A Few Words About, Warner, Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users