What's new

Weekly RoundUp 3-25-2014 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Posted Image

The Features

Posted Image

– Jonah Hill& Leonardo DiCaprio(The Wolf od Wall Street – 2013)

Posted Image

– Jerry Lewis& Robert DeNiro(The King of Comedy – 1982)

Posted Image

– Cast(Little House on the Prairie– 1974)

Posted Image

–DeliveryMan –2013

Posted Image

– Harold Lloyd(The Freshman – 1925)

The Prices

Posted Image

Click on theAmazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!
Any clickablelink on a title listedbelow will take you to our own HTF review!

VHS Amazon BestBuy Target
Disco Exorcist $19.95
Driller $19.95
Mold! $19.95
Posted Image

Clickon the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!
Any clickablelinkon a title listedbelow will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs Amazon BestBuy Target
Avengers Confidential: Black Widow& Punisher $14.96
Beast of the Bering Sea $14.96
Beneath $13.44
Californication: The Sixth Season $29.99 $19.99
Continuum: Season Two $32.99 $26.99
Delivery Man $14.99 $14.99 $17.99
Dragons: Defenders of Berk, Part 1 $14.99
The Great Beauty [Criterion Collection] $15.99
Home $12.73
Little House on the Prairie: Season One $16.96
Monster High: Frights, Camera, Action! $14.96 $12.99
Mystery Science Theater 3000: XXIX $49.99
The Truth About Emanuel $9.96
Veep: The Complete Second Season $26.99
Walking With Dinosaurs $16.99 $16.99 $14.99
Welcome to the Jungle $16.98
The Wolf of Wall Street $16.99 $16.99 $16.99

Posted Image
Click on theAmazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!
Any clickablelink on a title listedbelow will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays Amazon BestBuy Target
Avengers Confidential: Black Widow& Punisher $17.99
Beneath $16.98
The Best of Bogart Collection $34.96
Continuum: Season Two $39.99 $29.99
DeliveryMan $22.96 $17.99 $22.99
The Freshman [Dual Format CriterionCollection] $34.99
The Great Beauty [Dual Format CriterionCollection] $24.99
Key and Peele: Seasons 1 and 2 $22.49
The King Of Comedy [30th AnniversaryEdition] $16.19
LittleHouse on the Prairie: Season One $18.96
Monster High: Frights, Camera, Action![Combo Pack] $17.99 $17.99
Persona [Dual Format Criterion Collection] $34.99
The Truth About Emanuel $9.96
Veep: The Complete Second Season $32.99
Walking with Dinosaurs [ComboPack] $24.99 $19.99 $19.99
Walking With Dinosaurs [3D Combo Pack] $27.99 $27.99
Welcome to the Jungle $24.28
TheWolf of Wall Street [ComboPack] $19.96 $19.99 $19.99
Zodiac: Director’s Cut $22.98
IndividualTitles in the CollectionsListed Above:

MysteryScience Theater: Volume XXIX (DVD): Untamed Youth,Hercules and the Captive Women, The Thing That Couldn't Die, ThePumaman.

The Humphrey Bogart Collection (Blu-ray):The African Queen, The Maltese Falcon, Treasure of the Sierra Madre,Casablanca.

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer:All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from theirprinted Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by eachchain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the websiteprice.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week inthe RoundUp.The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well asthose which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers(and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this,and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don'tcomplain! If there is a title not includedin the RoundUp that youwant to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough topost and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp.They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, sothere is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR localWal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still outof business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their pricesanyway).

The Specials

--BestBuy, this week, has an EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC with its copies of The Wolfof Wall Street. Includes more than 20 minutes of exclusivecontent featuring DiCaprio and Scorcese on the making of thefilm.

--And,save $3 at Best Buy is you purchase Dragons: Defenders of Berk Part Ialong with EITHER Riders of Berk Part I or Part II. Each ofthese three titles is listed for $9.99 this week. .

--The following recentreleases are on sale this week at Best Buy:

Gatsby: DVD$11.99/Blu $19.99

DjangoUnchained: DVD $11.99/Blu $14.99

Frozen: Blu $22.99

12Years a Slave: DVD $14.99/Blu $19.99

Fast& Furious 6: DVD $14.99/Blu $19.99

Ender'sGame: DVD $14.99/Blu $19.99

DespicableMe: DVD $14.99/Blu $19.99

BaggageClaim: DVD $14.99/Blu $19.99

Manof Steel: DVD $9.99/Blu $14.99

We'rethe Millers: DVD $9.99/Blu $14.99

--Thefollowing Blu-rays are on sale this week at Best Buy:

$7.99: X-Men: First Class, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, LOTR: TTT,LOTR: ROTK, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Twilight, Alien, GreenLantern.

$11.99: Expendables 2, Red Dawn, The Bourne Legacy, Raiders of theLost Ark, Fast and the Furious, GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra, Bullet tothe Head, Jack Reacher

--BBhas the following TV on DVD (unless noted as Blu-ray)titles on sale this week:

$9.99: Friends: Season 10, Fresh Prince of Bel Air: S1, VentureBrothers: S4 Vol. 1, Weeds: S1 (Blu)

$14.99: ER: S1, New Girl: S2, Orphan Black: S1, Archer: S3, NCIS: LosAngeles: S2, Breaking Bad: S1, Justified: S3, Frozen Planet: CompleteSeries (Blu)

$24.99: Life (Oprah narration), Big Bang Theory: S4, Person ofInterest: S1, Dawson's Creek: Complete Series, Walking Dead: S2 (Blu),Winged Planet (2D & 3D Blu)

--BestBuy Odds and Ends: A list of DVDs for $4.99 apiece.

--Targetthis week has anEXCLUSIVE STEELBOOK PACKAGING of The Wolf of Wall Street.

--Also,save $5, instantly, when you buy this week's Monster High release AND aselect Monster High doll. Dollassortments vary bystore. Shown in the flyer is the Hauntlywood doll ($18.99).

--Get 50% off any Disney Infinity Character when you buy Frozen on Blu($19.99) at Target this week. DisneyInfinity singlecharacter on sale for $12.99. Quantities limited. No raincheck.

--Targethas these recent releases on DVD on sale this week:

$12.99: Despicable Me 2 (Free Minion toy when you buy ANYDespicable Me movie)
$13.00: Prisoners
$14.99: Dallas Buyers Club

$16.99: TheHunger Games: Catching Fire, Captain Phillips

$17.99: Rush

--Target is advertising a special on Scooby-Doo!: Wrestlemania Mystery(released this week). DVD $12.99/Blu $17.99. AND,buy the title and get a FREE WWE action figure ($4.99 value). Assortment of WWE figures varies by store.

--Target Odds and Ends: A number of DVD titles for little kids in the$7.99 - $9.99 range.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be picking up The Wolf Of Wall Street (my favorite movie of last year) and the Mystery Science Theater 3000 set. I'll eventually get The King Of Comedy and the very funny Veep: Season Two.

Thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks, Mike, for the usual great job.

I'm working on Little House on the Prairie in between the catch-up reviews I'm doing with Twilight Time's releases from a couple of weeks ago, two more Fox releases from earlier this month, and this week's upcoming Delivery Man and The King of Comedy, neither of which have arrived.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Nothing this week. I kinda bought way too much last week, so it's time to buckle down a bit (last week was Frozen, Jungle Book 2, Savings Mr. Banks, Phiadelphia and Steel Magnolias).

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's epic that you included VHS releases!

Wolf of Wall Street for sure, though I'm also tempted to buy King of Comedy sight-unseen. One amazon review says the Zodiac is just a repackage of the original BD Director's Cut release, so phew I don't think I'll have to buy that one again! :D

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The King of Comedy, without delay, for me.

And all the Criterions will be mine, come July at B&N or sooner if another great sale comes along.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Mike, excuse my ignorance, and my failure to think to ask this before now, but what's the source of the "Weekly RoundUp" picture? Looks like a great store. Did you take it? Or should I be recognizing it as a scene from something?

Joe Isham

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon has lowered the prices of Continuum Season 2 on DVD to $26.99 and on Blu-ray to $29.99 to match Best Buy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Charles Smith said:
Mike, excuse my ignorance, and my failure to think to ask this before now, but what's the source of the "Weekly RoundUp" picture? Looks like a great store. Did you take it? Or should I be recognizing it as a scene from something?
Interesting, Charles. No on HAS ever asked me that before.

I "stole" the original picture many years ago off the internet as I was looking for a masthead of sorts. I don't have ANY idea where that store was located (or if it still exists). If you look closely, you'll notice that the discs on the shelves are DVDs. Once we moved into the HD world, I crudely photoshopped in the Blu-rays of Shawshank and Band of Brothers (two of my personal favorites!).

I have then added--over the years--various elements to the picture. This year, for example, I added the two signs "Celebrating 10 Years" and "Established in 2004."

I have added four other images to that original picture: at the top is my avatar, of course, a scene from Toy Story 2. And then (from left to right) are three of my dogs: Brooks (Golden Retriever), Hudson (Yellow Lab), and Schuyler (Dalmatian). And then there is the big orange tabby "Fluffy Pumpkin" who belonged to HTF member Dennis Nichols.

Two notes of interest (at least to me) is that it ain't easy to find pictures of "DVD stores" any more. There just aren't that many around. I considered an entirely new picture for the tenth anniversary and couldn't find anything nearly as nice.

And, this always surprises people...but my avatar from Toy Story 2 is from when Woody was discovering (with Jessie and Bullseye's help) that he had been a character on a kids TV show called "Woody's Roundup." Well, I've had that avatar since 2001 (I am just a big fan of the TS movies!)...which is three years before I even thought of taking over the Weekly RoundUp (which had already existed under a prior member). So there is no connection between my avatar and the fact that I compile the RoundUp each week.

That'll teach you to ask an innocent question! :laugh:

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
No kidding. :lol: :lol: But I happen to love a good answer to a simple question! That's a great history, so thanks for sharing it.

And I did consider that as I was asking -- how few such stores, period, there are anymore. It really is a sad thing, and I'm totally serious about that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Looks like a Borders to me. I already ordered Ki G of comedy from Foxconnect for about 8 bucks and BB has shipped my Wolf so I should get that Mon or Tues.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
Charles Smith said:
And I did consider that as I was asking -- how few such stores, period, there are anymore. It really is a sad thing, and I'm totally serious about that.
I completely agree. There's nothing quite like going to the store, often with a specific title in mind and finding something completely unexpected while browsing the shelves. These days about the only place that I can still do that is Barnes & Noble, since my interest is mainly classic films. They are strictly MSRP if it's not on sale, but they do offer some nice sales throughout the year. I have to make sure I've padded the budget when I do go, because I'm inclined to get in trouble there. There's something to be said about holding the product in your hand and reading the description and checking out the artwork. I miss that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh, Zodiac can still be found forundertenbucks, the old version same as the new.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Interesting. For some reason, I always thought the pic was of someone's home collection. It doesn't really look like a store (no advertising signs, no obvious price tags, etc.). Just someone with a large, well-organized collection and the space and shelving to display it properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks