Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Anthem...worth it, if you got it...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,449 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 22 2014 - 11:49 AM

http://www.anthemav....0/page=overview

All Anthem AVR this year incorporate digital audio inputs into Zone 2(not the HDMI as it is video...)

Room EQ enhancement/improvements.

4K pass-through and scaling...but no info(yet) on 60fps.

Joining the app remote arena on Apple/Android(no mention, yet...if that includes music over net)

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 799 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted March 22 2014 - 04:35 PM

I like em,  always wanted to try ARC.  Faster HDMI switching, dual speaker configs,  20 input configs, ARC 1M. Definitely interesting, will be watching reviews on these.  Prices even seem more reasonable than normal for Anthem....

JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,732 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 23 2014 - 11:36 AM

I'vr always wanted to try a "higher end" avr - Anthem, Arcam, NAD, Rotel, etc - but never pulled the trigger. Just don't have any need/reason to replace my little Pioneer VSX-23 (same as the 1018) in my family room and a Marantz 7005 is working out O.K. (I guess) in the livingroom.

They seem to hold their value a bit better as well. Not as many great deals to be found on used models. I could have bought an  Anthem 700 a few months ago for $1000 but...

I did have an old (2005?) Adcom GFR700 a while back. Outstanding sound quality and power but a nightmare to use, at least compared to newer avr's. I think I should have kept it but I guess I sold it for a reason. Probably frustration.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   jamweiser

jamweiser

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted March 31 2014 - 05:18 AM

After researching a new avr for last year or less, i decided to listen to the receiver of choices at worst buy, and a local stereo shop, recently.  I narrowed my choices down to the yamaha 2030, denon x4000, marantz 7008, and the anthem mrx 510.  I wanted a receiver that sounded good in 2 channel, and figured any choice will sound good in 5.1.  I upgraded from an onkyo 606, that was suffering from hdmi issues.

Was blown away by the sound of the 310 and the 510, when initially listened at local shop.  yamaha was bright sounding, but detailed.  denon came off as too harsh, on two separate times listening to it.  On paper, i wanted to go with the denon, but couldn't get past the harsh sound.  the marantz sound great, so the choice came down to marantz or anthem.

I decided to purchase an anthem mrx 510 last week, and been playing with since thursday nite.  I'm really digging the dual speaker configuration, the faster & silent hdmi switching, customization of inputs.  Messed around with the manual level calibration, for the 1st few days.  Got time to run arc yesterday afternoon, and is quite a simple task, although i did screw up, and will need to rerun sometime (forgot to locate speakers from mlp, prior to running arc)... 

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 896 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted March 31 2014 - 05:30 AM

I find the Anthem processors (on the high end) really expensive, but they're good units. Still very happy with my Marantz AV8801 after all, and like it much better than the Anthem AVM 50V 3D

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 799 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted March 31 2014 - 05:38 PM

After researching a new avr for last year or less, i decided to listen to the receiver of choices at worst buy, and a local stereo shop, recently. I narrowed my choices down to the yamaha 2030, denon x4000, marantz 7008, and the anthem mrx 510. I wanted a receiver that sounded good in 2 channel, and figured any choice will sound good in 5.1. I upgraded from an onkyo 606, that was suffering from hdmi issues.

Was blown away by the sound of the 310 and the 510, when initially listened at local shop. yamaha was bright sounding, but detailed. denon came off as too harsh, on two separate times listening to it. On paper, i wanted to go with the denon, but couldn't get past the harsh sound. the marantz sound great, so the choice came down to marantz or anthem.

I decided to purchase an anthem mrx 510 last week, and been playing with since thursday nite. I'm really digging the dual speaker configuration, the faster & silent hdmi switching, customization of inputs. Messed around with the manual level calibration, for the 1st few days. Got time to run arc yesterday afternoon, and is quite a simple task, although i did screw up, and will need to rerun sometime (forgot to locate speakers from mlp, prior to running arc)...

Cant say that Im surprised with your results, at all. To this day I miss the Marantz sound with only a Emotiva preamp rivalling what I heard from Marantz. The Yamaha I run now was a steal, and usability and flexibility is off the hook, but it just cant touch my former Marantz or Emotiva in the sound quality department.
JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,449 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 31 2014 - 11:12 PM

If Anthem offered...

Height or
DTS Neo X

I'd be all over one. The dual speaker set up would be great.

I have the room tuned for "screen down" and back the center off 2db when the plasma is in use.
  • Stephen_J_H likes this

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   jamweiser

jamweiser

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted April 01 2014 - 02:57 AM

If Anthem offered...

Height or
DTS Neo X

I'd be all over one. The dual speaker set up would be great.

That was a slight concern/worry, only due to the fact we are looking at upgrading/moving to a bigger house, and not knowing what living/family/great room layout may be...  Would like a dedicated theater room, but not a priority on the wish list... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users