What's new

Muppets Most Wanted Review (1 Viewer)

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
But like any good Muppets film, the real star is the music. Songwriter (and one-half of Flight of the Conchords) Bret McKenzie — who won an Oscar for his work on the previous Muppets film — has outdone himself this time, with a hilariously infectious line-up of songs that bests the previous film in every regard. Each of the three main human cast members also gets to belt it out in their own tune: Ricky Gervais bemoans how "life's gone to the dogs when your boss is a frog", in 'I'm Number One'; Tina Fey sings the praises of Gulag 38B, in 'The Big House'; and Ty Burrell probes the Muppets for the truth, in 'Interrogation Song'. There's even a collaboration between Miss Piggy and Céline Dion that has no right being as funny as it is; and McKenzie's Flight of the Conchords partner, Jemaine Clement, delivers a rousing rendition of 'Working in the Coal Mine'. And although the film's musical finale, 'Together Again', doesn't quite hit the high notes it should, the high-water mark set by Constantine's Flight of the Conchords-esqe dance ballad, 'I'll Get You What You Want (Cockatoo in Malibu)', makes it easily forgivable.
4 out of 5.

This is a great film to pick yourself up out of a bad mood. Just lots of silly fun and amazing songs, especially if you're a Flight of the Conchords fan. I thought it absolutely blew away the songs from the previous Muppets film. More in my full review.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I hope the trailer doesn't damage this films box office potential, because it came off rather flat in the preview that I saw in front of Peabody and Sherman.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Saw it today with my 3.5 year old. I liked it. I probably liked it a little more than the last one (probably because it was much less Walter focused.)I liked Constantine's attempts to impersonate Kermit ("I am keeerrmuit")Definitely owes a debt to "The Great Muppet Caper" (even to a shot or two that directly recalled that movie)Only thing that bothers me is that they never could quite get down the post Jim Henson Kermit voice. It seems like an unfair criticism, but the person who took over Fozzie and Miss Piggy is indistinguishable from Frank Oz.Apparently though it only made 16.5m this weekend according to IMDB.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It might have done better if there hadn't been a glut of family-oriented films in competition.

This one's a keeper. The songs are better here than in The Muppets (and this is the last time I'll point out that there was supposed to be a point to "Let's Talk About Me," but it ended up in the "deleted scenes" section of the Blu-Ray), and there are some technically impressive moments of puppetry in the Ricky Gervais/Gonzo duet. And there is a joke involving A Chorus Line that I absolutely went hog wild over. I loved the Celine Dion cameo, and I'm usually not a fan of hers. Jason Segel and Amy Adams' characters weren't really needed here. My only regret is that they didn't include more of the actual Muppet Show performances, considering this and its predecessor are "The Muppet Show Movie" in a way the Henson-era and subsequent theatrical films were not.

There is one song from an earlier Muppet movie, and I won't reveal which one it is. But it's not from The Great Muppet Caper.

4/5

Mike Ouellet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
MIke
Songs were good.
I'm a huge Kermit fan. The evil frog character was hilarious. These movies are always good. Muppets from space might still be one of my favourites though.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Enjoyed it more than the previous one. The Gulag prisoners were a hoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks