Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Draft Day

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Freddie Z

Freddie Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 12:24 AM

Had the opportunity to watch an advanced screening of Draft Day starring Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner. It was quite enjoyable as it deals with the NFL football draft and the wheelings and dealings that occur during draft day. As a sports fan I am quite familiar with what usually happens on draft day so the ending was somewhat predictable to me. However, non-sports fans may find the situations leading up to the draft intriguing and maybe even thrilling. When it dealt with aspects of the draft, the movie worked. What I didn't really like was the romantic relationship between Sonny (Costner) and Ali (Garner). It just didn't feel necessary to the story and I thought their reveal to Sonny's mother (played by Ellen Burstyn) came out of nowhere. What I would have liked was more screen time on the players integral to the draft. That said, I still would recommend this movie as it is entertaining and I enjoyed it despite its shortcomings.

#2 of 7 Mike Ouellet

Mike Ouellet

Agent

• 36 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC

Posted April 11 2014 - 10:10 AM

It looks good.

There were reviews saying it was as good as Bull Durham and Field of Dreams. I highly doubt that but I still wanna see it.

As long as Kevin Costner stays out of the director chair and sticks to acting I'm usually in.

#3 of 7 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,628 posts

Posted April 13 2014 - 08:55 AM

"Draft Day" is somewhat a fairy tale told with the backdrop of the story being the NFL's draft day with a running time that's probably a little too short to rightfully invest in the main characters, starting with Sonny Weaver Jr. (Kevin Costner) on the day of the 2014 NFL draft, as he's the general manager of the Cleveland Browns.  In his position Sonny's in charge of making deals and drafting new talent with the draft pick positions at hand, and a lot of wheeling-and-dealing amongst other general managers around the league. 

The other main subplot deals with Sonny's romantic life, where he's been seeing, on the sly, Allie (Jennifer Garner), who handles the team's salary cap/legal department with it comes to payroll for the team.  I think had the relationship had more screen time to grow organically, it might have paid off a little better at the end, along with Sonny's other family issues.

The fairy tale aspect, for me, is how the actual draft unfolds, borders on entertainingly ridiculous, but still fun if you're rooting for Sonny to get stuff done and not get fired by the end of draft day.

What struck me funny was that unlikely pairing, on-screen, of Pa Kent from "Man of Steel" (Costner), and Clark Kent from "Smallville" (Tom Welling) in the film, as Welling plays the team's veteran quarterback whose position is threatened when it seems like Sonny has the draft pick to select a "can't-miss" quarterback in the draft.  Anyhow, like I said, it was an odd moment if you follow the Superman films and TV show.

I give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 7 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,170 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 13 2014 - 10:46 AM

I liked the film well enough, but as somebody that has watched the NFL draft every year since ESPN started broadcasting it, I had a problem with some of those draft trades.  Particularly, the trade for the number six pick in the first round just ahead of Seattle.  I thought it was silly.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#5 of 7 Nigel P

Nigel P

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts

Posted April 13 2014 - 02:32 PM

I am interested in seeing this as I love the NFL draft. I just don't know when I will get the opportunity as the following although dedicated is still pretty small over here. 

#6 of 7 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 13 2014 - 02:47 PM

It was OK.   I love the NFL draft, and we mock draft all the time in my groups... but we got into ridiculous territory at the end

Spoiler

I thought it would have been better if they would have not went quite so far and

Spoiler

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#7 of 7 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 05:45 PM

I liked the film well enough, but as somebody that has watched the NFL draft every year since ESPN started broadcasting it, I had a problem with some of those draft trades.  Particularly, the trade for the number six pick in the first round just ahead of Seattle.  I thought it was silly.

The biggest problem is that as depicted in the film, Sonny is the worst GM in the history of the NFL until he manages to redeem himself at the end.  He makes bad decision after bad decision but then manages a miracle at the last minute.

It's ridiculous.  I liked that it depicted the multiple pressures on a GM - owner, coach, fans, other players, etc. - but it was patently absurd too much of the time...

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users