Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2014 MLB Regular Season & Post Season too!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#161 of 336 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,531 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted June 30 2014 - 08:09 PM

Tony such sad news.  I'll bet they loved each other very much.

Be sure to report back on your Marlins' experience when you can find the time. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#162 of 336 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,677 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 01 2014 - 06:21 AM

Sorry to hear about your grandparents, Tony. Sounds like they had long and fulfilling lives.

And welcome to South Florida! :)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#163 of 336 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 01 2014 - 06:53 AM

What a game between the Athletics and Tigers last night. The Athletics were leading 4-1 in the bottom of the ninth with one out, and then the Tigers' R. Davis came to the plate with the bases loaded. :)

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=340630106

#164 of 336 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,279 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 01 2014 - 08:11 PM

Just got back to the hotel from the game in Miami. Love Marlins Park. Great looking stadium. Of the 10k that were there clearly more then half were Phillies fans. Did a little sightseeing before. Saw a couple of relatively famous movie hotels. One is sadly unrecognizable now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140701_171741_Collins Ave.jpg
  • 20140701_163128_Ocean Dr.jpg
  • 20140701_171838_Pine Tree Dr.jpg
  • 20140701_163044_Miami Beach.jpg

facebook.com/whotony

#165 of 336 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,531 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 03 2014 - 06:46 PM

THIS is a very short, funny clip that just goes to prove Joe Maddon is one "happening" dude.  :biggrin:

=====================================

THIS is something else entirely.  Talk about something you've never seen before...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#166 of 336 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 04 2014 - 01:27 PM

Thanks Mike.  As you know, I really wish there were no replay at all.

#167 of 336 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,677 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 07 2014 - 10:30 AM

Gee MLB, I love sitting through a 15-second ad to watch a 30-second clip. :P

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#168 of 336 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 04:18 PM

There are some interesting rules changes for the home run derby this year.  They are listed about 1:00 into the video.

http://scores.espn.g.../mlb/scoreboard

#169 of 336 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,677 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 15 2014 - 11:40 AM

Call me when the rules changes include a 90-minute time limit. ;) 

#170 of 336 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,531 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 15 2014 - 11:42 AM

Somewhere last night the MLB brain trust was huddled around a table--with only the glow of the Replay monitors providing ambient lighting--plotting that we can never have another HR Derby or All-Star Game at an outdoor venue. 

#171 of 336 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 11:53 AM

Somewhere last night the MLB brain trust was huddled around a table--with only the glow of the Replay monitors providing ambient lighting--plotting that we can never have another HR Derby or All-Star Game at an outdoor venue. 

The top priority - which may have already been done - would be the plotting to make sure that the game itself can never end in a tie, again.

#172 of 336 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 02:01 PM

Dave,I wouldn't have a problem with any All-Star game ending in a tie if the game didn't decide home-field advantage for the World Series.  I wish that the team with the best record had home-field advantage in MLB (similar to how it is done in the NBA).

#173 of 336 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 02:32 PM

^ I've read enough of your posts to know that you are a *serious* fan. As such, I'm sure you are fully aware that the All-Star game is a glorified exhibition game.Perhaps counter-intuitively, I think the casual fan was offended by the tie; the casual fans probably felt that any/every game should produce a result.Who's right - who's wrong ... might be another debate; however, I have read articles (possibly an over-reaction shortly after the tie) that suggested the outcome was a stain on Selig's record/legacy. Remember how the fans were booing at the time? Some, maybe most, of those fans were directing their boos at Selig. Ironically, if I remember correctly, the game was in Milwaukee, where Selig was supposed to be loved, or at least more loved than in other MLB cities.I would be just as happy if they did away with the All-Star game completely. I prefer regular-season competition. This four-night stretch without any (real) games seems endless. I think this is only the second year that every MLB team also has Thursday off. Previously, a handful of teams played on Thursday, but I think those teams complained (loudly).

#174 of 336 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 03:20 PM

Dave,

Agreed.  I had not really thought of what the casual fan felt about the tie.  That's a very good point.  And the booing that night was not at all good for the game.

I was just thinking this morning how there is a relative lull in sports right now.  Just a short time ago we had so much in full-swing (MLB, NBA and NHL playoffs, and the start of the World Cup).  Now that the playoffs and World Cup are over, their absence (at least for me) does have a way of making this current four-day stretch seem quite long!

Side note: I wish there had been more home-run hitters in last night's Derby.  It seems like many of those whom I would want there were absent.  One of the pre-game commentators was suggesting that it ought to be mandatory for players to participate (assuming they are chosen).  I think it was Mike Scioscia who strongly suggested that Trout not take part in the Derby.

#175 of 336 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,968 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 10:20 PM

Doesn't the home run derby mess with players' swings for the remainder of the season?  :D

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#176 of 336 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,531 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 16 2014 - 09:37 AM

I have a lot of thoughts on last night's All-Star Game.

But the overriding one is:  why, oh why did we have Idina Menzel sing Bob Dylan's Forever Young to a bunch of teachers in-between the opening lineups and national anthem?

Teachers?

#177 of 336 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,279 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 16 2014 - 10:20 AM

Fox is just as bad or worse than ESPN with all the over the top nonsense. You would have thought Jeter solved world peace or cured ALS the way the game went last night. Would have been nice to show a little Gwynn Re2pect.Did they mention Tony Gwynn at all?
facebook.com/whotony

#178 of 336 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,531 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 16 2014 - 10:32 AM

Not that I saw.

But Rod Carew threw a strike of an opening pitch (with some heat on it as well!).  Too bad it was relegated to a five second clip after the first NL out.  :thumbsdown:

I'm sure the teacher thing was some deal struck with Target (the game played at Target field and I think the teachers had won a Target-sponsored contest or something).

But, c'mon people.  How about if we saw the ceremonial first pitch LIVE...and relegated the teacher's to a five-second clip in-between at-bats? 

Not only did Menzel murder Forever Young...but it went on forever!  And they even showed faces of the teachers (who were still on the field) during the National Anthem (rather than the ballplayers!).  Say whaaaaaaaat?

And don't get me going as to why Orioles players are wearing Tom Clancy's name on their jerseys.  This stuff is getting absolutely ridiculous to the point of incredulity.

#179 of 336 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 10:54 AM

Not that I saw.

But Rod Carew threw a strike of an opening pitch (with some heat on it as well!).  Too bad it was relegated to a five second clip after the first NL out.  :thumbsdown:

I'm sure the teacher thing was some deal struck with Target (the game played at Target field and I think the teachers had won a Target-sponsored contest or something).

But, c'mon people.  How about if we saw the ceremonial first pitch LIVE...and relegated the teacher's to a five-second clip in-between at-bats? 

Not only did Menzel murder Forever Young...but it went on forever!  And they even showed faces of the teachers (who were still on the field) during the National Anthem (rather than the ballplayers!).  Say whaaaaaaaat?

And don't get me going as to why Orioles players are wearing Tom Clancy's name on their jerseys.  This stuff is getting absolutely ridiculous to the point of incredulity.

After Menzel was murdered by Travolta, maybe it is only fitting that Menzel got to murder Forever Young.

#180 of 336 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,711 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 16 2014 - 11:42 AM

Tom Clancy was part owner of the Orioles and passed away, so the patches are their tribute to him. They shouldn't recognize the passing of an owner?

The NE Patriots wore a patch on their uniforms for a whole season to honor the passing of Myra Kraft, the owner's wife.

Joe Buck loved every second of the Idina "Adele Dazeem" Menzel performance. He gushed again about her national anthem. I think Joe has a crush. :D

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users