Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Yamaha...committing blasphemy?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,931 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 20 2014 - 11:37 AM

Yamaha has leaked the new 377.

Apart from this one new feature(mention later...as the blasphemy) that is creating "buzz"...YPAO and subwoofer trim are now on board. Think last years 575, minus networking...

The new blasphemy...

Virtual Cinema Front.

Essentially(limited info at the moment) Yamaha's exclusive YSP technology inserted into an AVR...allowing you to place all 5 surround speakers...in the front of the room...

Blasphemy...or progress?

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 20 2014 - 11:59 AM

SOUNDBAR :)  Not exactly blasphemy, but why would I really want to do this?

HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,422 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 20 2014 - 12:00 PM

Here's the thing. Even if it works great, it's a gimmick. People will decide for themselves if they think the gimmick is worth the tradeoffs. People who know better will avoid it and talk others out of it, but you'll never stop it cause really at this point in the development of integrated receivers (60+ year old tech) all we have left is gimmicks and not much true innovation.After discrete full bandwith channel based surround really what else is there?

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,422 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 12:01 PM

SOUNDBAR :)  Not exactly blasphemy, but why would I really want to do this?

People who don't want to run wires through walls or floors to put speakers in the rear.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,931 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 12:10 PM

What I'm waiting for...

The uber-genius out there that buys a passive soundbar(like the Atlantic Tech) that is already phased to create this effect...and buys a Yamaha AVR with this(pretty sure Yammy will incorporate this into 7 channel at some point)...

Do two phase shifts make it right?

(and yes...that is a joke about two wrongs...)

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 20 2014 - 01:34 PM

People who don't want to run wires through walls or floors to put speakers in the rear.

I realize this is the reason, but being lazy is just another one of those things we don't need more of.  Apartment and rental dwellers have a different reason, and my solution was to just tuck the wires up close to the mouldings and they're visible but not obtrusive in the apartment.  At the house I can do whatever I want.

HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,422 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 05:02 PM

I have a single family home and I can tell you I am stymied by how I'm going to get the wires fished for my side speakers down the road. It's not laziness but technical hurdles. And I consider myself both a HT enthusiast and generally handy. The layperson is going to be stuck in MANY situations.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,931 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 05:18 PM

Hey, other Sam...You could do "round the room" recessed light tracks for ambient lighting. That would be extra work...But hiding your speaker wire would be simple.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,578 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 20 2014 - 05:36 PM

I have a single family home and I can tell you I am stymied by how I'm going to get the wires fished for my side speakers down the road. It's not laziness but technical hurdles. And I consider myself both a HT enthusiast and generally handy. The layperson is going to be stuck in MANY situations.

Yep. Add in open floor plan. Maybe a spouse. A finished basement. And difficulty goes up an order of magnitude. If I hadn't pre-wired at construction, I wouldn't have rear speakers in my living room.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted March 20 2014 - 05:42 PM

Yamaha is pretty talented with their DSPs so if anyone can pull it off, its them. That having been said I seriously doubt its effectiveness. Reminds me when I doubted the power of Trinnov room correction (and its amazing ability to steer channels). The Sherwood Newcastle R-972 made me eat my words, if it hadnt been so dysfunctional in every other way that AVR would still be in my rack.

JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 21 2014 - 08:35 AM

Hey, other Sam... You could do "round the room" recessed light tracks for ambient lighting. That would be extra work...But hiding your speaker wire would be simple.

There are also a couple of companies that make already routed baseboards and crown mouldings for wire concealment that looks perfectly at home.  They're a little thicker to allow this, but a lot less noticeable than wire or even wire track.  My last house was concrete slab and cathedral ceiling in the HT room and one wall was only partial, so no other way to do it.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 21 2014 - 08:51 AM

Yamaha has leaked the new 377.

Apart from this one new feature(mention later...as the blasphemy) that is creating "buzz"...YPAO and subwoofer trim are now on board. Think last years 575, minus networking...

The new blasphemy...

Virtual Cinema Front.

Essentially(limited info at the moment) Yamaha's exclusive YSP technology inserted into an AVR...allowing you to place all 5 surround speakers...in the front of the room...

Blasphemy...or progress?

5 surround speakers. ?   Do you mean 4. ?

These things never work very well, i'll stick with my Yamaha AV Receiver and conventional 7.1 channel setup until something like Auro 3D comes along.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,931 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 08:52 AM

5 surround speakers. ? Do you mean 4. ?These things never work very well, i'll stick with my Yamaha AV Receiver and conventional 7.1 channel setup until something like Auro 3D comes along.

Nope. It is 5.RL, center and both surround speakers up front.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 21 2014 - 09:11 AM

Nope. It is 5. RL, center and both surround speakers up front.

Okay got it, i thought you meant 5 surround speakers, i guess you meant two and the three front channels, my mistake.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,931 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 09:26 AM

Okay got it, i thought you meant 5 surround speakers, i guess you meant two and the three front channels, my mistake.

The 377 is only 5 channel...;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users