What's new

Any current blu-ray players with buttons on the actual device? (1 Viewer)

aughtomat

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
This may sound wildly stupid, but it's driving me nuts.

Does there exist, anywhere in the world, a Blu-Ray player at any price point (ideally a low one, this is for a bedroom TV + stereo that's never going to be anything fancy) that has Play/Stop/Back/Fwd buttons on the actual console itself? I want a single device to use as both my Blu-Ray player and CD player for the stereo, and frankly it drives me insane that if I want to put in a CD and play track 3, I can't just push the buttons on the unit itself like you used to be able to do with every DVD player on the planet several years ago.

Literally, I'll take just about anything if it has those dumb buttons. The only other deal breaker would be if the unit is especially slow to load discs... my father-in-law had a Blu-Ray player that literally took 15 seconds to start up when you inserted a disc. Madness, I tell you.

Thanks!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Aughtomat said:
my father-in-law had a Blu-Ray player that literally took 15 seconds to start up when you inserted a disc. Madness, I tell you.
Wow - I'd love to have a Blu-ray player that only takes 15 seconds to load... of course, most movies now are set up to load all the trailers and previews and such first, THEN after you skip through all of that it dumps you back into ANOTHER loading loop while it loads the REAL menu...

Finally, when you get to the main menu and select "Play" to begin the movie you realize that to your surprise, you somehow managed to skip all the disclaimers, anti-piracy notices, INTERPOL warnings, and other... OH WAIT! THERE they are! Another holding pattern...

Definitely NOT a hobby for the incessantly hurried... ;)

aughtomat

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Haha - yeah, that'd be nice too. I meant it took 15 seconds for *anything* to appear onscreen. The incessant menus, previews and other nonsense I've learned to accept. :)
Jason Charlton said:
Wow - I'd love to have a Blu-ray player that only takes 15 seconds to load... of course, most movies now are set up to load all the trailers and previews and such first, THEN after you skip through all of that it dumps you back into ANOTHER loading loop while it loads the REAL menu...

Finally, when you get to the main menu and select "Play" to begin the movie you realize that to your surprise, you somehow managed to skip all the disclaimers, anti-piracy notices, INTERPOL warnings, and other... OH WAIT! THERE they are! Another holding pattern...

Definitely NOT a hobby for the incessantly hurried... ;)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Aughtomat said:
This may sound wildly stupid, but it's driving me nuts.

Does there exist, anywhere in the world, a Blu-Ray player at any price point (ideally a low one, this is for a bedroom TV + stereo that's never going to be anything fancy) that has Play/Stop/Back/Fwd buttons on the actual console itself? I want a single device to use as both my Blu-Ray player and CD player for the stereo, and frankly it drives me insane that if I want to put in a CD and play track 3, I can't just push the buttons on the unit itself like you used to be able to do with every DVD player on the planet several years ago.

Literally, I'll take just about anything if it has those dumb buttons. The only other deal breaker would be if the unit is especially slow to load discs... my father-in-law had a Blu-Ray player that literally took 15 seconds to start up when you inserted a disc. Madness, I tell you.

Thanks!
I have a soniq bluray/ dvd player that plays ANY region/zone world wide as well as both NTSC and Pal formats.There isn't a bluray or dvd from anywhere in the world that I cannot play..All my friends have the same player.It cost me me less than $100.Maybe you cannot buy this player in your country? I live in Australia. On the actual player it has the following buttons: play; standby;search forward ; search backward and stop. My Panasonic bluray recorder player also has a record button as well as all the other buttons mentioned on my soniq.I have NEVER seen a player without buttons on the front of the player.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
71yedhSEecL._SL1500_.jpg

I have one of these and it works fine. Not the FRONT of the player, but it certainly has buttons, just no chapter skip > like most players these days. You might have to pick up an older player but then run the risk of it not working with newer discs...always a trade off.
cinerama10 said:
I have a soniq bluray/ dvd player that plays ANY region/zone world wide as well as both NTSC and Pal formats.There isn't a bluray or dvd from anywhere in the world that I cannot play..All my friends have the same player.It cost me me less than $100.Maybe you cannot buy this player in your country? I live in Australia. On the actual player it has the following buttons: play; standby;search forward ; search backward and stop. My Panasonic bluray recorder player also has a record button as well as all the other buttons mentioned on my soniq.I have NEVER seen a player without buttons on the front of the player.
Probably not legal in most countries...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What countries are region-free players illegal in?I know there are countries they can't be advertised, but possession is not illegal.

aughtomat

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
That looks like a good option... But as you suggested, I can't seem to find it for sale in the USA.
cinerama10 said:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
schan1269 said:
What countries are region-free players illegal in? I know there are countries they can't be advertised, but possession is not illegal.
Don't know all the legalities of it, but basically region code defeating is "frowned upon" because it affects sales in the region code. I would think it would increase sales, but I'd suspect it has more to do with pricing of media in said regions more than sales. Wiki also says it has to do with release dates and/or availability of media, for which again, I don't see the point of restricting. Oppo's older players used to have the ability to be switched to region free via firmware, but I believe they no longer do this.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
John Garcia said:
Don't know all the legalities of it, but basically region code defeating is "frowned upon" because it affects sales in the region code. I would think it would increase sales, but I'd suspect it has more to do with pricing of media in said regions more than sales. Wiki also says it has to do with release dates and/or availability of media, for which again, I don't see the point of restricting. Oppo's older players used to have the ability to be switched to region free via firmware, but I believe they no longer do this.
There are several bluray brands in Australia that play all zones/regions and also are NTSC and Pal compatible for dvds. All Australia dvd players will play both NTSC and Pal formats automatically.For bluray it is a simple matter to change the region/zone coding on most players. (LG brand excepted).Usually the shop will do it for you or the player's distributor will send you the code to use.i have had both of these done over the years..There are on line sites that will give you the code for your player.When I bought my bluray player it was already all zone compatible. My portable bluray is unable to be changed however. There are many blurays that are region free and more and more studios realise that the coding system never works as people are able to change them by entering a code and changing it back again when they want a different zone.My friend recently was able to change the code on his 3D bluray player merely by going to the menu and following the simple steps. It only takes a few seconds each time that you want to change the code (usually 4 numbers) .Several major Hollywood studios have all their blurays region free. (correct me if I am wrong): Disney,Warners,MGM and Universal. I buy blurays from around the world but rarely have to change the region zone.I recently bought (from the USA) a dvd of THE UNIVERSE tv series and it was not region free but the one bluray of the same show ,that I bought, was zone free.Now that was strange.Every Disney 3D bluray that I bought from the USA was region free.AMAZON (UK) generally state when their blurays are region free.If you don't have an all zone player in the USA then you are missing out on much of the finest in European and Asian cinema as the USA is generally devoid of World cinema.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks