-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

My Friend Irma (1949) would like a Blu...along with Martin & Lewis

Paramount Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Second Unit

• 355 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island, Florida

Posted March 19 2014 - 02:03 AM

Now here's one from a corner of movie history that has its roots in the Golden Age of Radio.  Having SiriusXM satellite radio, I can listen to the Radio Classics channel where I have caught some of the My Friend Irma radio shows.   I for one, being a guy, would love to see the gorgeous blonde Marie Wilson on blu.

Most notable about this film though is the introduction of Jerry Lewis & Dean Martin to the world of Hollywood movies.  In fact many who saw this film believe that the now-legendary Martin & Lewis duo overshadowed the main stars in this film.  You be the judge. 

Oh and this week we are celebrating Jerry Lewis's 88th Birthday and he's still going strong.

My Friend Irma has seen a couple of DVD releases, most notably as a part of the  eight-film DVD set, the Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis Collection: Volume One.  If they ever re-release this set on blu, I hope they include My Friend Irma (and it's sequel, My Friend Irma Goes West).

MyFriendIrma_Movie.jpg

Paramount currently holds the right.  Someone please enlighten me as who which studio Paramount farms out their catalog titles to most of the time.

Wiki Article on My Friend Irma

IMDB Movie Info

"My Friend Irma was supposed to be a straightforward adaptation of the popular radio sitcom of the same name. The film's focus therefore was supposed to be on air-headed Irma Peterson (Marie Wilson), her levelheaded roommate, Jane Stacy (Diana Lynn, taking over from the radio series' Cathy Lewis), and their various romantic misadventures. But the audience tended to ignore Irma, Jane, and the others in favor of two movie newcomers: Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, cast respectively as would-be singer Steve Laird and dumb-dumb restaurant employee Seymour."

#2 of 7 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,213 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 03:16 AM

Jerry Lewis is my all-time favorite comic.

Would love to see a bulk of Jerry's films make it to Blu-ray.

I am not too optimistic that will happen given the current state of 

affair with the format, but anything can happen.

The Nutty Professor was farmed out to Warner Bros.  Not sure

how many other Dean Martin and/or Jerry Lewis films are being

farmed out (if at all).

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 7 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 817 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted March 19 2014 - 06:12 AM

Presumably most of them including all their VistaVision films. Hopefully Artists & Models and Pardners will be released before the agreement with Warners expires.

#4 of 7 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 19 2014 - 05:06 PM

"Artists and Models" would be the first candidate for Blu in my book.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#5 of 7 Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 06:24 PM

"Artists and Models" would be the first candidate for Blu in my book.

Haven't seen it yet but if its what I think it is, I'll second that.

Along with  Way Way Out (1966)

#6 of 7 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 19 2014 - 11:59 PM

"Artists and Models" was built for Blu-ray.  A glorious VistaVision production, eye popping colours.  Great musical numbers and a young Shirley MacLaine as the 'Bat-Lady'.

• Walsh61 likes this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#7 of 7 Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 08:30 PM

Jerry Lewis is my all-time favorite comic.

Would love to see a bulk of Jerry's films make it to Blu-ray.

I am not too optimistic that will happen given the current state of 

affair with the format, but anything can happen.

The Nutty Professor was farmed out to Warner Bros.  Not sure

how many other Dean Martin and/or Jerry Lewis films are being

farmed out (if at all).

You did mention the format which I assume is blu-ray.

If the blu-ray sales results (read stampede) for Frozen are any indication,  Blu-ray is here to stay (hey, I rhymed it) for quite a while.  Released on March 18th, I hit up a Punta Gorda, FL Wal-Mart on the 19th.  Blu-rays were sold out!!

Which greatly increases the odds we'll see a lot more of Jerry Lewis on blu-ray.

Now if they'd only get the blus out for Way Way Out (1966)  and Artist & Models (1955)...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users