What's new

Samsung BD6500 BluRay player analog sound issue. (1 Viewer)

Phototone

Auditioning
Real Name
Gene McCluney
I have a Samsung "Smart" BluRay player BD-D6500. I have an HDMI cable to my video projector, and use the stereo analog audio outputs from the player to my stereo system. I have the sound set to mix-down to "Normal Stereo". All streaming content and 99% of my BluRay discs play fine, However, I just got a new BluRay disc of the Studio Ghibli animated film "From Up On Poppy Hill", and I can't hear dialog that would (in a multi-channel set up) come from a center speaker. In other words if a voice is to come from left or right side of the screen I hear it, if it should be from center, I don't hear it. The packaging says the sound is Dolby Digital 5.0 Surround. Is this a style of soundtrack that can't be mixed down by the BluRay player? I have checked the set-up menu on the disc, and I can only choose a Japanese or English soundtrack. No other options. Is there a disc defect? I can't afford to buy a new home theater audio system, and I have very very fine analog Stereo gear (McIntosh). What can I do? Throw away the disc? I have checked for software update for the player, and it says I have most current software.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
From the manual:

This Digital Output setup does not effect the analog (L/R) audio or HDMI audio output to your TV.

I don't think there are any settings that affect the analog output. It should always provide a stereo mix. I think the Normal Stereo is for running digital to devices that can't handle multi-channel sound.

It might be worth scanning the BD-6500 thread at AVS Forum. These owner threads generally have tons of player specific information. If it's not addressed in there, you can always post your question in the thread.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What I'll suggest here...Sounds like a player problem. Ability to properly downmix is getting lost as BD players get newer.Why?More TVs are able to accept DD and downmix on their own.Try the disc with the audio from the TV. If the TV doesn't have an analog out...get a digital/analog converter.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
He has a projector
schan1269 said:
What I'll suggest here... Sounds like a player problem. Ability to properly downmix is getting lost as BD players get newer. Why? More TVs are able to accept DD and downmix on their own. Try the disc with the audio from the TV. If the TV doesn't have an analog out...get a digital/analog converter.
OP has a projector, so I don't think that's going to work.

What are your other options for downmix? I believe Brian is correct in stating that using the stereo outs, you should only get stereo output. It is likely a DECODER issue that it will not properly downmix the 5.0 dtsHD track to stereo.

Side note, I have that movie and quite enjoyed it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, forgot the PJ bit.But, if it has audio out...might work. But hardly ideal.But as more stuff is dumbed down for "BD to TV to soundbar"...

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is digital output set to PCM . ? Setting to PCM means you get sound through the left and right speakers only.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
FoxyMulder said:
Is digital output set to PCM . ? Setting to PCM means you get sound through the left and right speakers only.
Since when?On that player?(maybe)Setting PCM only means the player itself is decoding. However, the stereo analog should already be mixed(Unless the BD player simply can't).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
schan1269 said:
Since when? On that player?(maybe) Setting PCM only means the player itself is decoding. However, the stereo analog should already be mixed(Unless the BD player simply can't).
According to the instruction manual for the Samsung player that i just read, they are using the optical output, they could also try setting the PCM mix downsampling to off. If none of this helps then i don't know.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He's using analog stereo. Technically, you should not need to do any set up for that.But...This is a new BD player.And it is a Samsung.Who knows what "it can't do".

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
schan1269 said:
He's using analog stereo. Technically, you should not need to do any set up for that. But... This is a new BD player. And it is a Samsung. Who knows what "it can't do".
I'd sell it and get a cheap Panasonic. Not that this advice helps the original poster, but i would do that over selling any discs in my collection if the issue cannot be resolved.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FoxyMulder said:
I'd sell it and get a cheap Panasonic. Not that this advice helps the original poster, but i would do that over selling any discs in my collection if the issue cannot be resolved.
Panasonic makes the best inexpensive players on the market right now IMO and has for a while. Sony went downhill for a while and they're back now with some good budget ones too. Samsung really doesn't make great players.

Phototone

Auditioning
Real Name
Gene McCluney
Unfortunately, there are NO current popular priced BluRay players that have any sort of analog audio output. My projector is picture only, it does not have any audio outputs. I can't afford a pricey Oppo player at this time in my life. The analog audio I am using comes directly from the Samsung bluray player, and this model is a couple years old. It seems to work with all my discs-UP TO NOW, except this disc. The audio on this disc says Dolby Digital 5.0 surround. Most other discs I have indicate some form of "DTS" sound.

On a curious note, I have an older budget entry-level WalMart special Magnavox (made in 2009) and it mixes down and plays this disc just fine. The Samsung is supposed to mix-down multi-channel tracks, and it does-ON ALL DISCS BUT THIS ONE.....But the old Magnavox won't stream, so the Samsung is what I need to use for my Netflix, etc. Someone suggested a Panasonic, fine, but show me one Panasonic model I can go out and buy today, here and now, that has analog audio outputs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Can you just connect both BD players? I'm used to "player overkill" though.My main theatre has...CDDVD universal (SACD/ DVD- A)DVD region freeBD

Phototone

Auditioning
Real Name
Gene McCluney
FoxyMulder said:
Is it 2 channel analog output you need or 7.1. ?
2-channel analog output is what I need, and have from all discs I have played up to this one, "From Up On Poppy Hill".

Phototone

Auditioning
Real Name
Gene McCluney
schan1269 said:
Can you just connect both BD players? I'm used to "player overkill" though. My main theatre has... CD DVD universal (SACD/ DVD- A) DVD region free BD
Well, with the long HDMI run I have, I must have a very fat, expensive HDMI cable, or I get signal degradation. I have ONE of these cables. I also have no extra free analog audio inputs available at this time on my preamp.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Get an HDMI switch.(I wouldn't expect you to run two long HDMI, two short to a switch) Same with the analog audio. If worried about signal degradation, buy a component video switch and use two of the video connects.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
schan1269 said:
He doesn't need MCH output.
That player also has 2 channel analog output.

pioneerbdp51fdinputs2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks