Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Whole Home Chromecast / HDMI from single source

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Myke500

Myke500

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 04:31 PM

Greetings,

I am sure there is a somewhat simple answer for this but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Q: What would I need to get the HDMI signal converted to a cable 'channel' BUT ALSO keep the signal inside the home?  Not sure if my neighbors would enjoy this as much as I will.

Situation:

I have 5 rooms that will one day all have TVs.  For now only 3.

I would like to have a channel that will play the Chromecast HDMI signal so that at any time one or more TVs can watch what is playing, but also retain the capability of watching other cable channels by just flipping the channel.

All rooms have cable coax and WiFi access (although I would like to avoid streaming over the WiFi if possible to avoid bandwidth problems)

I would like to avoid coax switches, and running multiple coax to each room.

I have a basic RF Modulator with RCA input, and a HDMI to RCA converter.   (I know this will loose quality, it is just what I have available)

Equipment:

1x Sony Home Theater (Surround) -> Vivitek Projector

2x Emerson TVs (780p & 1080p)

1x Nyrius NRFM-100 RF Modulator with channels 14 through 69 and RCA input

1x HDMI IN to RCA OUT converter box

1x Chromecast Dongle

2x 5mhz-1ghz Dual Pass splitters/plexers connecting all the rooms with coax

1x $100.00 to complete the project

Thanks for any help and ideas

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson

Screenwriter

• 1,951 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 07:57 PM

So you want to convert the HDMI out on Chromecast to a cable television channel and use coax cable to send the image to every tv in the house? I couldn't begin to give you any advice on how to do it, but I am curious about if it could be done.
  • Audio14 likes this

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Audio14

Audio14

Agent

• 36 posts
  • LocationTri-State

Posted March 18 2014 - 09:10 PM

If you would like to stream chromecast contents to multiple TV via HDMI cable, buy a HDMI splitter with one in and multiple outs. However, you will be playing the SAME content on both TVs

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,458 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 18 2014 - 09:21 PM

Why not get 5 Chromecast? One phone(or tablet/computer) can send content to as many ChromeCasts as there are... You just have to have as many Windows open as you have feeds to Individual ChromeCasts.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Myke500

Myke500

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 09:22 PM

I want the same content across the channel.

I would prefer to keep it across the coax for budget reasons. Several 50ft HDMI cables can be pricey. But I have not ruled that out as a last resort.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Myke500

Myke500

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 09:30 PM

@schan1269
Synchronization and ease of operating.

If chromcast allowed one to cast to all of them at once then great (although each would pull a lot of WiFi bandwidth simultaneously)

Even if it was not chromcast and instead is HDMI from the Blu-Ray. The goal remains the same. One Stream to multiple TVs simultaneously over Cable coax.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,458 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 09:34 PM

Sure, It you can live with the barely viewable picture. Your 5 Windows open can't be the same content...5 times? Even decent 5.8 wireless senders(1 transmitting to 4) would have been under $250. You are spending more than that trying to be cheap.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 19 2014 - 05:51 AM

I want the same content across the channel.

I would prefer to keep it across the coax for budget reasons. Several 50ft HDMI cables can be pricey. But I have not ruled that out as a last resort.

Do you want it in HD?  If you want to keep it analog and standard def, that's easy.  You convert the Chromcast HDMI to standard video and run it through a ChannelPlus frequency agile channel modulator.  It will be about $50 for the modulator and another $50 for the hardware to convert HDMI to standard video.

If you want it in HD then what's your budget?  Here's a nice modulator for a little under $1,700 - http://www.contempor...CFWXl7Aod7T8Ajg and you would still have to convert HDMI to component video before feeding it into this box.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,458 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 06:14 AM

Robert, question for you(or anybody that might know)... Converting to Cat5/6. Can that be ran through a Netgear FS605? Will HD video work...or will that corrupt it? I don't even know if ChromeCast is HDCP.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 20 2014 - 05:15 AM

The last time I looked, HDMI to CAT5 baluns required 2 runs of cable.  There is no way it would properly work with a router.

I also don't have any idea about ChromeCast and HDCP either.  All of my suggestions assume there is no copy protection.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,458 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 06:18 AM

There is single run balun now for HDMI TrippLit has them for $30 each. I should look to see if somebody has come up with a "HDMI over cat splitter".

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 20 2014 - 06:54 AM

I learned something new.  But the HDMI data would need to be sent via Internet Protocol before it can go through a router.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,458 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 07:05 AM

This "wonderful new single run cat" has another standard as well... HDBaseT The cable we should have had from the beginning.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,458 posts

Posted March 20 2014 - 07:10 AM

By the way, I Sat in on the introduction of HDMI itself as part of a wholesaler show(think CEDIA for wholesalers). During the Q&A, I asked... "So this is twin Ethernet with a proprietary plug..." Well over half the audience looked over with a :-{} ... The panel (which included one of the brains...) promptly went..."next question"

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   wizwor

wizwor

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 31 2014 - 11:55 PM

Do you want it in HD?  If you want to keep it analog and standard def, that's easy.  You convert the Chromcast HDMI to standard video and run it through a ChannelPlus frequency agile channel modulator.  It will be about $50 for the modulator and another $50 for the hardware to convert HDMI to standard video.

If you want it in HD then what's your budget?  Here's a nice modulator for a little under $1,700 - http://www.contempor...CFWXl7Aod7T8Ajg and you would still have to convert HDMI to component video before feeding it into this box.

I hope you guys are still following this thread.  I stumbled across the thread searching for 'chromecast rf modulator' and joined the forum to participate in the discussion.  I used to inject my satellite out to a RF channel to feed TVs otherwise connected to an antenna.  I used agile modulators and tuned unused channels.

Time marches on.  TV is digital, the satellite dish is gone, and everything is hdmi, but I would still like to inject a few of my own channels and would like to learn what people know about modern, inexpensive rf modulators.  Initially, I was thinking for streaming a news channel with continuous programming as a channel.  Then I thought about adding a chromecast channel that could be watched on any tv and controlled by any tablet or phone.

I'm bumping this hoping someone has discovered an inexpensive agile rf modulator. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users