Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Apple kills the iPad2, replaces with iPad4

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted March 18 2014 - 06:07 AM

So, the iPad4 goes back into production to replace the iPad2 which is now going out of production.   The iPad4 now becomes the 'entry' iPad, selling at $399.

http://www.engadget....ina-fourth-gen/

When Apple launched the iPad Air, it swiftly kicked the fourth-generation iPad to the curb, but kept the iPad 2 around as an "entry level" option. At the same time as the company has tweaked the iPhone lineup, it's also pulling a switcheroo in the tablet space -- dumping the iPad 2 and replacing it with the Retina-and-Lightning model. The unit is back on the Apple store for the same price as the Retina iPad Mini, so now it's just a decision as to what size slab your hands can carry.

This is really about setting a low end model that isn't completely overshadowed by Amazon, Samsung, etc. units.   The iPad2 was pretty long in tooth at this point and needed to be kicked.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 3 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,301 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 06:13 AM

So, the iPad4 goes back into production to replace the iPad2 which is now going out of production.   The iPad4 now becomes the 'entry' iPad, selling at $399.

http://www.engadget....ina-fourth-gen/

This is really about setting a low end model that isn't completely overshadowed by Amazon, Samsung, etc. units.   The iPad2 was pretty long in tooth at this point and needed to be kicked.

Recently bought a 4 for Christmas, and my reaction looking at the iPad 2 was just to use it as an archive reference to compare it to all the new features on the 4 and Air.  720p video, 30 pin connection--"Okay, I get the idea, I should get the new one! :blink:   "  

It's like watching Amazon sell the Paperwhite Kindle as a new "cool" alternative, but Apple isn't fooled as easily about how much the people want "cheaper" lower-tech models just to keep from retiring the old model off shelves.

#3 of 3 Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,336 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted March 18 2014 - 11:28 AM

Man...I just bought an Air yesterday as a gift because the recipient wanted a Retina display. If I waited a day I could have saved 100 bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users