What's new

Apple kills the iPad2, replaces with iPad4 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
So, the iPad4 goes back into production to replace the iPad2 which is now going out of production. The iPad4 now becomes the 'entry' iPad, selling at $399.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/18/apple-ipad-2-retina-fourth-gen/
When Apple launched the iPad Air, it swiftly kicked the fourth-generation iPad to the curb, but kept the iPad 2 around as an "entry level" option. At the same time as the company has tweaked the iPhone lineup, it's also pulling a switcheroo in the tablet space -- dumping the iPad 2 and replacing it with the Retina-and-Lightning model. The unit is back on the Apple store for the same price as the Retina iPad Mini, so now it's just a decision as to what size slab your hands can carry.
This is really about setting a low end model that isn't completely overshadowed by Amazon, Samsung, etc. units. The iPad2 was pretty long in tooth at this point and needed to be kicked.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
mattCR said:
So, the iPad4 goes back into production to replace the iPad2 which is now going out of production. The iPad4 now becomes the 'entry' iPad, selling at $399.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/18/apple-ipad-2-retina-fourth-gen/

This is really about setting a low end model that isn't completely overshadowed by Amazon, Samsung, etc. units. The iPad2 was pretty long in tooth at this point and needed to be kicked.
Recently bought a 4 for Christmas, and my reaction looking at the iPad 2 was just to use it as an archive reference to compare it to all the new features on the 4 and Air. 720p video, 30 pin connection--"Okay, I get the idea, I should get the new one! :blink: "

It's like watching Amazon sell the Paperwhite Kindle as a new "cool" alternative, but Apple isn't fooled as easily about how much the people want "cheaper" lower-tech models just to keep from retiring the old model off shelves.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Man...I just bought an Air yesterday as a gift because the recipient wanted a Retina display. If I waited a day I could have saved 100 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread