Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Picnic at Hanging Rock (Dual Format)

Criterion BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,744 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 08:17 PM

picnicfront.jpg

picnicback.jpg

PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY/DVD EDITION)
This sensual and striking chronicle of a disappearance and its aftermath put director Peter Weir (The Truman Show) on the map and helped usher in a new era of Australian cinema. Set at the turn of the twentieth century, Picnic at Hanging Rock concerns a small group of students from an all-female college and a chaperone, who vanish while on a St. Valentine’s Day outing. Less a mystery than a journey into the mystic, as well as an inquiry into issues of class and sexual repression in Australian society, Weir’s gorgeous, disquieting film is a work of poetic horror whose secrets haunt viewers to this day.

1975 • 107 minutes • Color • Monaural • 1.77:1 aspect ratio

DIRECTOR-APPROVED DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
• Remastered high-definition digital film transfer, supervised and approved by director Peter Weir, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the
Blu-ray • Extended interview with Weir• New piece on the making of the film, featuring interviews from 2003 with executive producer Patricia Lovell, producers Hal McElroy and Jim McElroy, and cast members• New introduction by film scholar David Thomson, author of The New Biographical Dictionary of Film A Recollection . . . Hanging Rock 1900 (1975), an on-set documentary hosted by Lovell and featuring interviews with Weir, actor Rachel Roberts, and source novel author Joan Lindsay• Homesdale (1971), an award-winning black comedy by Weir• Trailer• One Blu-ray and two DVDs, with all content available in both formats• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by author Megan Abbott and an excerpt from film critic Marek Haltof’s 1996 book Peter Weir: When Cultures Collide; a new paperback edition of Lindsay’s original novel, previously out of print in the U.S.

TITLE: PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD EDITION)
CAT. NO: CC2360BDDVD
UPC: 7-15515-11711-1
ISBN: 978-1-60465-842-2
SRP: $39.95
PREBOOK: 5/20/14
STREET: 6/17/14

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,299 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 09:28 PM

And it only took them EIGHT YEARS to get it out... :P

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,036 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 17 2014 - 09:40 PM

And it only took them EIGHT YEARS to get it out... :P

Because stupid Americans don't appreciate great cinema........

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,744 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 02:26 AM

Now Available for Preorder

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,638 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 04:59 AM

I MUST get this movie.

So haunting and amazing.

preordered

all-banner.jpg

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,273 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 06:45 AM

Which version is included? UK BD has dir cut, I believe.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,063 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 18 2014 - 06:56 AM

Which version is included? UK BD has dir cut, I believe.

It has to be the directors cut because it's 107 minutes long, the original Australian theatrical is 115 minutes, i personally would love to see a dual release featuring the directors cut and original theatrical cut, i wonder if adding a DVD into the release adds anything to the price, i don't need a DVD.  Now i'm going to the aspect ratio thread to ask what it should be for this release.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,615 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 18 2014 - 07:10 AM

I have the UK DVD set that includes both cuts, and I believe the theatrical cut was from a video source.  It's been a long time since I've watched either one, so I don't now recall the various points, but my impression was that a lot of people really preferred the theatrical.  (I saw it when it came out but probably wouldn't have remembered enough to recognize the differences.)

#9 of 13 ONLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 10:15 AM

well it doesn't say 4k (?) why not ? is this that old (excellent) transfer Pal DVD has 113Min documentary and scenes deleted which I guess will

be on this new disc somewhere, and as someone said original longer version ,Directors cut is shorter ,there was a still gallery which I am sure won't

be included in this set

I guess it will come in one of those cardboard  cases

Still upset that Remains the Day got more votes

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,699 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 18 2014 - 10:51 AM

well it doesn't say 4k (?) why not ? is this that old (excellent) transfer Pal DVD has 113Min documentary and scenes deleted which I guess will

be on this new disc somewhere, and as someone said original longer version ,Directors cut is shorter ,there was a still gallery which I am sure won't

be included in this set

I guess it will come in one of those cardboard  cases

Still upset that Remains the Day got more votes

Howards End, actually. And it's a good thing, too, as its now OOP after the whole Merchant Ivory/Criterion dispute. Probably wouldn't be on Blu-ray at all without winning that poll.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 13 ONLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 03:00 PM

I always mix those two up still both don't add up to Picnic ,but it is strange about rights and release dates I am still waiting for The Comformist

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,699 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 18 2014 - 06:11 PM

I always mix those two up still both don't add up to Picnic ,but it is strange about rights and release dates I am still waiting for The Comformist

The Conformist is supposed to be coming from Raro sometime this year.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,299 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 06:28 PM

Yeah Conformist was debunked sometime last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users