Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Judex (Dual-Format)

Criterion BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 08:14 PM

judetfront.jpg

judetback.jpg

JUDEX (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY/DVD Edition & Stand Alone DVD Edition) 
This effortlessly cool crime caper, directed by Georges Franju (Eyes Without a Face), is a marvel of dexterous plotting and visual invention. Conceived as an homage to Louis Feuillade’s 1916 cult silent serial of the same name, Judex kicks off with the mysterious kidnapping of a corrupt banker by a shadowy crime fighter (American magician Channing Pollock) and spins out into a thrillingly complex web of deceptions. Combining stylish sixties modernism with silent-cinema touches and even a few unexpected sci-fi accents, Judex is a delightful bit of pulp fiction and a testament to the art of illusion.

1963 • 97 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • 1.66:1 aspect ratio

DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES 
• New 2K digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray 
• Interview from 2007 with the film’s cowriter Jacques Champreux, the grandson of Louis Feuillade, cocreator of the silent serial Judex
• Interview from 2012 with actor Francine Bergé
• Franju le visionnaire, a fifty-minute program from 1998 on the director’s career and imagination
• New English subtitle translation
• One Blu-ray and one DVD, with all content available in both formats
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Geoffrey O’Brien, along with reprinted writings by and excerpted interviews with Franju

TITLE: JUDEX (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD EDITION)                          
CAT. NO: CC2365BDDVD
UPC: 7-15515-11761-6
ISBN: 978-1-60465-847-7
SRP: $39.95                                                
PREBOOK: 5/20/14
STREET: 6/17/14

TITLE: JUDEX (DVD-ONLY EDITION)
CAT. NO. CC2373DDVD
UPC 7-15515-11861-3
ISBN 978-1-60465-855-2
SRP $24.95
PREBOOK 5/20/14
STREET 6/17/14 

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 17 2014 - 09:06 PM

Let me be the first to say that this is great news - one of my favorite  films.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted March 18 2014 - 12:03 AM

Haven't seen this one since it flickered on our common room screen during my first year at university. Whoa, where did those 40+ years go?  

BTW, why a DVD-only edition? I thought the whole point of these new Combo Blu-ray/DVD Criterions was to eliminate the need for a separate run? :wacko:

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 02:25 AM

Now Available for Preorder

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,320 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 18 2014 - 08:06 AM

BTW, why a DVD-only edition? I thought the whole point of these new Combo Blu-ray/DVD Criterions was to eliminate the need for a separate run? :wacko:

My guess is that, now that they've got real sales data on their Blu-ray/DVD combos, they're trying to confirm if there is or isn't still a market for DVD-only releases.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 09:49 AM

But doesn't Criterion already have gobs of such data...basically, ever since the introduction of their Blu-ray line 5 years ago? Although some of their upgrades were Blu-ray only because they still had adequate DVD stock (e.g. Robinson Crusoe on Mars), IIRC the majority of their new spines were released in both Blu-ray and DVD editions. So what's left to confirm via this DVD-only release of Judex (apparently A Hard Days Night will be getting one too)???

I don't have Criterion's original announcement handy about their switch to Combo Blu-ray/DVD editions, but I do recall that their major rationale was efficiency in terms of production and packaging...to reduce waste via one run that can serve both markets. So at this late date, so soon after their introduction of Blu-ray/DVD Combos, offering a DVD-only version just seems to be self-defeating...going in the opposite direction! :unsure:

I mean, it's 2014, not 2004.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted March 18 2014 - 09:53 AM

Others have theorised that libraries and other educational institutions have not taken to the idea of having to purchase Blu-rays and that these single DVD releases are primarily aimed at them.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 10:01 AM

Seems kinda sketchy to me... <_<

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 10:43 AM

... IIRC the majority of their new spines were released in both Blu-ray and DVD editions.

Yes, I was thinking that Judex might be getting a separate DVD-only release because Judex is a completely new offering (never before available on DVD <or Blu>).

But King of the Hill shoots down that idea - King of the Hill was also completely new, and did not get a separate DVD-only release.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,320 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 18 2014 - 11:03 AM

But doesn't Criterion already have gobs of such data...basically, ever since the introduction of their Blu-ray line 5 years ago?

But that data would be from separate Blu-ray and DVD sales and not combo pack sales. If you only want the DVD, the combo packs have effectively upped the price by $10 on all of their titles and that could have negatively impacted sales to the point that they're re-evaluating their position. That's not to say that that's definitely why but I think it's a possibility.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 18 2014 - 11:29 AM

But that data would be from separate Blu-ray and DVD sales and not combo pack sales. If you only want the DVD, the combo packs have effectively upped the price by $10 on all of their titles and that could have negatively impacted sales to the point that they're re-evaluating their position. That's not to say that that's definitely why but I think it's a possibility.

It should also be noted that they've dropped the 2nd DVD of bonus content (when applicable) for the DVD-only releases of Dual Format titles, which definitely suggests the library angle holds water.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 12:21 PM

But how is this any kind of progress for the adoption and standardization of high def for world cinema? I mean, if a label with the mantle of Criterion - as in criterium folks - can somehow still justify DVD as a viable standalone disc option, and yet not Blu-ray, then what are they saying to the market? The rising tide of high definition was *supposed* to eventually float all boats...so do they now consider an SD DVD "good enough"? Apart from being an uncharacteristically retrograde move, this would seem to fly in the face of everything Criterion has stood for since its inception. 

Besides, I thought I read somewhere that most libraries are increasingly getting behind the Blu-ray format, not only because of its leg-up in quality, but because the glass-composite coating makes discs more impervious to user damage (read: longer lending life).

Just don't get it... :huh:

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 18 2014 - 01:38 PM

They're saying that it's cheap and financially viable to make a run of plain packaged, no-booklet 1-disc DVDs of select titles. I don't think reading more into it than that will reveal any grand design. These are basically Essential Art House-like releases. Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk
  • Moe Dickstein likes this

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 05:26 PM

They're saying that it's cheap and financially viable to make a run of plain packaged, no-booklet 1-disc DVDs of select titles. I don't think reading more into it than that will reveal any grand design. These are basically Essential Art House-like releases.

...with spine numbers? Well that's...uhm...having it both ways. ;)

Anyway, Judex is still an interesting, obscure, and decidedly strange-beautiful French art film, whatever form it takes. Glad Criterion is releasing it despite their rather schizo, retrogarde marketing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users