Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Criterion Press Release: A Hard Day's Night (Dual-Format)

Criterion BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,265 posts

Posted March 17 2014 - 08:10 PM

a hardfront.jpg

a hardback.jpg

A HARD DAY’S NIGHT (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY/DVD Edition & DVD Stand Alone Edition)
Meet the Beatles! Just one month after they exploded onto the U.S. scene with their Ed Sullivan Show appearance, John, Paul, George, and Ringo began working on a project that would bring their revolutionary talent to the big screen. A Hard Day’s Night, in which the bandmates play slapstick versions of themselves, captured the astonishing moment when they officially became the singular, irreverent idols of their generation and changed music forever. Directed with raucous, anything-goes verve by Richard Lester (Help!) and featuring a slew of iconic pop anthems, including the title track, “Can’t Buy Me Love,” “I Should Have Known Better,” and “If I Fell,” A Hard Day’s Night, which reconceived the movie musical and exerted an incalculable influence on the music video, is one of the most deliriously entertaining movies of all time.

1964 • 87 minutes • Black & White • Monaural/5.1 surround • 1.66:1 aspect ratio

DIRECTOR-APPROVED DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES 
• New 4K digital film restoration, approved by director Richard Lester, with two audio options—a monaural soundtrack and a new 5.1 surround soundtrack made by Apple Records—presented in uncompressed monaural and DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray 
• Audio commentary featuring various members of the film’s cast and crew
• In Their Own Voices, a new piece combining interviews with the Beatles from 1964 with behind-the-scenes footage and photos
• You Can’t Do That: The Making of “A Hard Day’s Night,” a 1994 documentary program by producer Walter Shenson
• Things They Said Today, a 2002 documentary about the film featuring Lester, music producer George Martin, writer Alun Owen, cinematographer Gilbert Taylor, 
and others
• New piece about Lester’s early work, featuring a new audio interview with the director
• The Running Jumping and Standing Still Film (1959), Lester’s Oscar-nominated short featuring Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan
• Anatomy of a Style, a new piece on Lester’s approach to editing
• New interview with Mark Lewisohn, author of Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years—Volume One
• Deleted scene
• Trailers
• One Blu-ray and two DVDs, with all content available in both formats
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Howard Hampton
• More!

TITLE: A HARD DAY’S NIGHT (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY/DVD EDITION)              
CAT. NO: CC2363BDDVD
UPC: 7-15515-11741-8
ISBN: 978-1-60465-845-3
SRP: $39.95                                                
PREBOOK: 5/27/14
STREET: 6/24/14

TITLE: A HARD DAY’S NIGHT (SINGLE-DVD EDITION)
CAT. NO. CC2372DDVD
UPC 7-15515-11851-4
ISBN 978-1-60465-854-5
SRP $19.95
PREBOOK 5/27/14
STREET 6/24/14 

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

• lukejosephchung likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,265 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 02:24 AM

Now Available for Preorder

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts
  • LocationFalls Church VA, USA

Posted March 19 2014 - 06:34 AM

Looking forward to this reissue.  Long overdue for a restoration and a version with the original mono audio included.

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 08:01 AM

Aspect ratio now says 1.75:1.

Even so, I think the best way to view it is in 1.37:1, the way it was shot.

http://forums.steveh...-am-png.340554/

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 898 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 09:09 AM

POPULAR

The way it was shot doesn't mean the way it was framed    The way it wasy projected in the Theatres is more important than some old Laser disc

• Scott Merryfield, TravisR, Matt Hough and 2 others like this

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,231 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted March 19 2014 - 10:21 AM

HTF member Bob Fermanek has documented proof on his Aspect Ratio Research thread that 1.75:1 is the way it was shown in theaters...Criterion is presenting this movie the correct way, thank goodness!!! Both OAR and original restored mono as an option!!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,231 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 09:38 AM

Review copies of this are now circulating from Criterion...has anybody at the Forum received theirs yet??? Inquiring home theater buffs wanna know!!! :P

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 10:22 AM

I hope the mono is not a downmix of the 5.1. That would be a travesty if it is. Is there any word that the mono track is the original that Ron Furmanek restored, or a better copy of it, or a downmix of the 5.1? 

And as Ron & Bob pointed out, the title track originally played complete with NO screaming heard until the fade out. Has Ron listened to the mono on the Blu-Ray yet?

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,231 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 10:44 AM

I hope the mono is not a downmix of the 5.1. That would be a travesty if it is. Is there any word that the mono track is the original that Ron Furmanek restored, or a better copy of it, or a downmix of the 5.1? 

And as Ron & Bob pointed out, the title track originally played complete with NO screaming heard until the fade out. Has Ron listened to the mono on the Blu-Ray yet?

According to the review, it's a restored ORIGINAL mono mix transfer...whether it's Ron's is still subject to conjecture.

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,353 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted June 02 2014 - 11:48 AM

Why would anyone want to listen to The Beatles in mono?* :D

*It's a joke folks, I know about the popularity of the White Box!

• JohnMor likes this

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,221 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 01:25 PM

"Aspect ratio now says 1.75:1."

So it has very very very minor black bars on the top and on the bottom? If not, it's just 1.78:1.

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 02 2014 - 01:41 PM

"Aspect ratio now says 1.75:1."

So it has very very very minor black bars on the top and on the bottom? If not, it's just 1.78:1.

On the sides, actually. http://www.blu-ray.c...82/#Screenshots

• AnthonyClarke likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,154 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 08:21 PM

1.75 is basically 1.78 for anal retentive people. There's barely any difference.

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 999 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted June 02 2014 - 09:21 PM

Yes, I know there's a big argument about screenshots, but I think they can serve as a reasonable general guide just to indicate whether an upgrade from DVD will be worthwhile.

So thanks Brandon for that link .. I've pre-ordered on the strength of those.

And generally, I find that screencaps may be unreliable, but they can at least indicate whether the colour values in a new transfer seem ok or not. Caps are a tool, nothing more. And good caps, of the sort which have been posted here in another thread for Oklahoma, can make for great wallpaper! I have Gordon and Shirley frozen in time right now on my screen, as they rhapsodise about that surrey with the fringe on the top....

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,422 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 02 2014 - 09:26 PM

It's weird, but some people are seeing a teal push:

A-Hard-Days-Night-16.jpg

:P  ;)

• moviebuff75 and AnthonyClarke like this

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted June 02 2014 - 09:33 PM

I know this is also being released beyond the US on bluray in the next couple of months -- will these editions have the same extras?

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   jacksparrow900

jacksparrow900

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 05:32 AM

They showed the new restoration on TCM last night. It was amazing :D

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted June 03 2014 - 12:00 PM

I know this is also being released beyond the US on bluray in the next couple of months -- will these editions have the same extras?

According to Second Sight Films' facebook page, their release will have the following special features:

‘In Their Own Voices’ - a new piece combining 1964 interviews with The Beatles with behind-the-scenes footage and photos

‘You Can’t Do That: The Making of A Hard Day’s Night’ - a documentary by producer Walter Shenson including an outtake performance by The Beatles

‘Things They Said Today’, a documentary about the film featuring director Richard Lester, music producer George Martin, screenwriter Alun Owen and cinematographer Gilbert Taylor

‘Picturewise’ - a new piece about Richard Lester‘s early work featuring a new audio interview with the director

‘Anatomy of a Style’ - a new piece on Richard Lester‘s methods
New interview with author Mark Lewisohn

#19 of 25 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,457 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 03 2014 - 12:41 PM

They showed the new restoration on TCM last night. It was amazing :D

I watched it last night. I think that's the first time I've seen the film since it came out in 1964. (Never bought it on tape or disc before).

I was struck by the song score for the film. Almost every one of those songs became standards. Did the soundtrack album for the movie move as many units as other Beatles albums of the time did?

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted June 14 2014 - 07:44 AM

Wonder if Ron Furmanek has listened to the mono mix on the new Blu-Ray? I'd like to hear his take on it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users