• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#61 of 279 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,570 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:25 AM

Jack,

You can get a Visa or MC debit card from PayPal which is attached to your PayPal account.  Basically, it allows access to any funds in the PayPal account.  I would think that would be the best way to access the funds anywhere you are at the moment.  It would take a week or so to receive and you need a mailing address for it to be sent to.  In fact, I'm not sure you even need a checking account, except to have the ability to move funds from it to the PayPal account or the other way.  I'm sure you can't get that until the PayPal account is active and funded.  I just know I used to have one.

• bryan4999 likes this

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#62 of 279 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:29 AM

Paypal, anymore, requires an actual bank account. You can't accept payments from PayPal otherwise.

Even Ebay is requiring a bank account anymore.

Been so long since I used Paypal...do they still have "no fee" gifts?

If not, those that can...could check their local BoA branch to make sure they'd have no problem receiving cash for somebody else's account. I've never had a problem doing that with Chase and Regions.

#63 of 279 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,515 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:30 AM

Just so you know Jack, your paypal account is referenced by your email address, not a number.

#64 of 279 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:36 AM

Just so you know Jack, your paypal account is referenced by your email address, not a number.

To clarify what I'm suggesting(for those that can and won't/can't use Paypal...and would rather not use WU)...

"We" don't need JB's acct number. And Jack...don't share it(other than adding it to PP).

"We" only need your name and the street/city...unless there is happenstance two JB's live on the same street with two different numbers. Then we'd need the street number.

#65 of 279 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:40 AM

Okay, folks, from these most recent posts, the three prior to this one, please verify that my own post earlier is correct (or if it isn't). My plan still is to get the routing number from BofA. I will use that as well as my e-mail account or whatever else I need in order to set up the Paypal account. I have only about twenty-eight minutes left on the computer presently. But, again, I see it as follows:

* Get routing number at BofA later today. With that and my account number and my e-mail address, I can set up a Paypal account tomorrow morning.

* I set up the Paypal account and then let Mike Frezon know the numbers.

* Then he lets all of you know said numbers. Afterward, I make my arrangements to return to Nashville.

I might mention, I had a PM from a person who is offering to purchase an airline ticket on his own. I just read it less than an hour ago. See what I mean about being overwhelmed -- but in a good way?

Please let me digest all this. But I will say it's the best "indigestion" I have ever had!

Your even humbler friend,

Jack Briggs

#66 of 279 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,567 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:46 AM

You know something, everyone? Home Theater Forum, for me, has put the emphasis on the first word in its name: "home." Right now, this is my home. These posts continue to astonish me. This is kindness that I thought was a past-tense kind of thing. Not so. Here is where kindness is. And this for me is, as I said, home.

Well said.  I hope it's okay to add only that I've felt the exact same about Home Theater Forum for a long time.  This is a special group of people on this forum, and I'm honored and grateful to be a part of it. 

If/when you're able to take John Rice up on his offer for some AV stuff, I'd like to get you your first new movie (or a copy of an old favorite - I believe we share at least one favorite in particular).

#67 of 279 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:47 AM

* I set up the Paypal account and then let Mike Frezon know the numbers.

Jack Briggs

There are no "numbers" to share. It is your email.

#68 of 279 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,570 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:48 AM

I believe both Steve and Sam are correct.  You probably need a checking account, as a security check, to have a PayPal account.  The PayPal account needs that checking account, the specifics of which don't need to and shouldn't be given away publicly, then funds can be sent to the PayPal account with only the registered email address, which is also required for a PayPal account.  The only public info needed is the email address registered to the PayPal account.

Jack, once the PayPal account has been set up (Usually done online by providing the checking account and routing # as well as your email address) then you "verify" the checking account.  PayPal will run a couple small transactions on the checking account, you verify the amounts with them, and then your PayPal account is active.  The checking account doesn't need to be a factor anymore, except that (according to Schan, and I suspect this is correct) that it must exist and be connected to your PayPal account.  BTW, I recommend AGAINST setting up any "auto funding" to the PayPal account from your checking account.  It's a safety thing in case the PayPal account is compromised.

As far as no fee gifts, the last I knew, which was about a year ago, you could still send money to another person and specify it as a gift so that there are no fees.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#69 of 279 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:53 AM

By the way...I'm one of the ones who "won't" use Paypal(haven't in 2 years).

I have a friend on Long Beech that would simply go to a local BoA for me and deposit some cash for you.

#70 of 279 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,570 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 10:57 AM

I suspect most people can use PayPal, but the BoA option would be a good alternative for those who don't use PayPal.

The Hybrid System

#71 of 279 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 21 2014 - 11:10 AM

Jack, and Scooter, and anyone else who is in dire straits, I wish you nothing but the best. (As for me, my job is being eliminated next month. . .last time that happened, in 2001, I had to sell my home, but I'm hoping to avoid that this time. Wish me luck! :) )

Jack, if you haven't already, you should talk to a customer service person at BoA. If you explain your situation, they very well might erase those overdraft fees. It sounds like they're due to account maintenance fees, as opposed to you bouncing checks or something. They also might be able to help out with some kind of account that would avoid them to begin with. No guarantee, of course, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

(On another note. . .I was assuming that Scooter had made a conscious decision to not live with one of his kids. . .not that it's any of my business, but I'm glad to know that's the case. :) )

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#72 of 279 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 11:30 AM

Jack, and Scooter, and anyone else who is in dire straits, I wish you nothing but the best. (As for me, my job is being eliminated next month. . .last time that happened, in 2001, I had to sell my home, but I'm hoping to avoid that this time. Wish me luck! :) )

Same thing happened to me when our office was closed...

Take a 18 months severance(at base pay...not commission added) or move to another city and hope the sinking ship righted itself. (perfect storm for the company, opened 9 offices...total of 55 from 46...and then...Pioneer drops display. Hitachi drops display...and they were the "entire" distribution of both...even to Best Buy, Amazon, HH Gregg, Ovation. Then Mits announces it is dropping LCD. Major distributor of that. Business shrunk 40% just from lost product)

Adding in Haier and Sharp "branded"(anything not Aquos) didn't stave the downturn. Also didn't help Fisher and Paykel wasn't the appliance boon hoped for. They even started talks with Samsung...who they laughed at 4 years prior. The company I worked for was Samsung's first choice, once they "became" tier 1, for distribution. Upper brass wouldn't give them the time of day...as "we" were in the throws of helping LG(which had the clout of Lucky behind it).

Lucked into a short sale(had 70% equity in the house)...uprooted...left. Once I got my side business(which I'd always had anyway) propped up...bought a house up here.

Tenuous 14 months.

• Aaron Silverman likes this

#73 of 279 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,567 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 12:12 PM

(As for me, my job is being eliminated next month. . .last time that happened, in 2001, I had to sell my home, but I'm hoping to avoid that this time. Wish me luck! :) )

Wishing you all the luck in the world!

Had a similar situation a few years ago in that my former job position was going to be eliminated, and the handwriting was on the wall for that, so I decided to move from Boston to NY (where I'm originally from and always kinda thought I'd end up)... and then as soon as I got to NY, the economy took a nose dive, and that was pretty much that.  I'm grateful that my mother was willing and able to allow me a room in the house she had just purchased with her significant other (somehow the word "boyfriend" seems wrong when you're talking about your mom!) - it took almost two years to get a steady job again, and it's taken another couple years since getting the job to just get my footing and try to pay off as much debt as I could.  It was very easy to lose hope during that time - it's humbling being out of work, it's humbling having to ask a parent if you can move back in, it's humbling to have to borrow money, or not be able to do simple things that are easy to take for granted, like going to a movie.  I spent most of my days filling out job applications and a good portion of the remainder browsing and posting on Home Theater Forum, and this place kept me going.  I hope he doesn't mind me saying this, but during that time I dropped off the HTF boards for a while, and Ron Epstein even reached out to me via my personal email account to make sure that I was okay.  Whether it was just being able to participate in a thread and feel a sense of normalcy, or gestures like Ron's, it all kept me going.  It's really heartening to get a sense that other people have had similar experiences of the kindness and hope that this community has offered.

On a side note, I second Aaron's suggestion about talking to a BOA rep (and if they aren't able to help, don't be afraid to kick it higher up the food chain and ask for the supervisor/manager) - I got nailed with some nasty fees for similar reasons, they weren't giant but when you've got nothing, every cent counts and it's just adding insult to injury to have your bank penalize you for being broke - and after a couple polite conversations and complaints, the fees were eventually waived.

• Aaron Silverman likes this

#74 of 279 OFFLINE   BrianW

BrianW

Screenwriter

• 2,552 posts

Posted March 21 2014 - 05:18 PM

Welcome home, Jack.

• Scooter likes this
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#75 of 279 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 10:04 AM

Folks, I seem to have a Paypal account up and presumably running. It is linked to my newly revived BofA account which also is linked to my e-mail address. I am, however, confused about some things that occurred during the sign-up process, mostly doing with "verifying" my bank account to Paypal's satisfaction. More on this later. My computer time's first hour is about to end and I will log on again once the second hour is ready. So stay tuned.

#76 of 279 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,570 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 10:21 AM

Jack, it takes a few days to complete the verification.

The Hybrid System

#77 of 279 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 10:50 AM

Once again, John: You're right. I just reread your post prior to this one. I am waiting for some sort of cash deposit that Paypal is to make into my account and then I am supposed to confirm that with the firm. This is to take two to three business days, as I understand. I am awaiting Paypal's "verification."  I can hardly wait to be verified. Though, as I have said repeatedly, I love Los Angeles more than most people can know, after spending yet another night in a homeless shelter I am more eager to return to the state of my birth, a place I have not been to since 1987. Not once have I even so much as visited Tennessee. Now I am willing to consider as home again.

Josh Steinberg: You have to know this -- that I utterly relate to your post. Though my parents have been dead lo these many years (father in 1981 and mother in 1987), I know how you felt. It was sort of how I felt when living with my sister upon arriving in Los Angeles -- for a month and three years I was dependent upon her. Yet the years that followed -- oh, how I will never forget them and how I miss them. Los Angeles was always the place where I wanted to be and to live, where I thought I would be able to say that I "ended up."

But things rarely end as one thinks they might. I am seeing that truth play out in my life now. Though discouraged by all this -- I mean, homelessness, man -- I cling to this feeling of hope that I have been receiving from all of you (notice how I've often used those words, "all of you," in my posts here?). I may be spending my nights in a homeless shelter in South Central, but I have been preparing myself for the more humid confines of Nashville, Tennessee. Somehow, it has become something to which I am looking forward. And once this Paypal thing verifies that I do indeed "own" the account to which I have given it the number, I see, somehow, a brighter future on the horizon.

I just never thought it would be back in the South. Yet, once born ...

With all the encouragement I have been receiving from the people who are Home Theater Forum, I have something like hope once again in my lexicon. Then, once I get established back in Nashville, I see a time when I can return here and discuss the topics which bring us all together. I look so forward to the dialogue, the arguments, the fun.

All that makes me concerned right now is this damn verification process that needs to occur. Question: Does Paypal make that small deposit into the Paypal account or in my checking account? Oh, and by the way, my account had been terminated by BofA on the third of March. The quickest way to get restarted was to open a new account, which is what I did.

That was a bit frustrating, because it was starting to bight into my time to return to the shelter. It was embarrassing to answer some of the BofA person's questions. At the same time, it seemed a bit impersonal. In a twinge of disgust, I asked the woman, "Do you know if there are any, you know, small banks, community banks still left?" She sort of smiled, a bit wanly, not really answering. I continued, "You know, a bank based on the needs of people who live nearby, a place where the customers get a break?" She was in complete BofA mode.

Oh well, that's another discussion (one that would need to be closely moderated, of course).

I'm tapped out for now. But one more thing, once this Paypal account is verified, I trust then that Mike Frezon will go ahead and make my e-mail address known to those who have so generously offered a helping hand. Mike, you may do so publicly in this thread if you wish. And why should I mind that? You are all my friends.

Yours for as long as I live and breathe,

Jack Briggs

• Josh Steinberg likes this

#78 of 279 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 10:58 AM

Hi Jack,

PayPal makes the tiny deposits (cents) into your bank account. You then log in to your Paypal account and tell it the amount of the deposits. That verifies that your accounts are linked. Once all is confirmed, I suspect there will be something in there from a lot of us (the boy is in college now, but I'll do what I can).

In a weird confluence, Zardoz is on TCM tonight at 2am.

Take care.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#79 of 279 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts

Posted March 22 2014 - 10:59 AM

Yes, Paypal will make two deposits. Both under 10 cents.

Once you see those deposits...verify the amounts.

#80 of 279 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,759 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 22 2014 - 11:12 AM

Jack, you are a remarkable wordsmith. Your posts bring a tear to my eye. We are waiting for Mike to give the word. Until then... Rest easy, my friend. You have quite the journey ahead of you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users