-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Grand Budapest Hotel Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Yavin

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 06:46 AM

Though it clocks in at a brisk ninety-nine minutes, The Grand Budapest Hotel is every bit as majestic as its name implies. In fact, it's arguably Anderson's most polished work to date and — with its intricate fictional universe brimming with romantic nostalgia and embedded narrative scheme spanning multiple time periods — has a sweep like nothing he's done before. More so, everything about it speaks to his immense eye for detail. From the colorful dialog and sharp writing (played with brilliant comedic timing by the cast) to the lavishly constructed sets (even the ones of the quaint, miniature variety) — even if it wasn't handled with the finesse that it is, the sheer breadth and depth of the overall endeavor is damn impressive in its own right.

4.5 out of 5. Lavish, funny and brilliantly constructed, this is Wes Anderson's magnum opus.

My full review can be found here.

Read all my reviews here.

#2 of 9 Freddie Z

Freddie Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 01:40 AM

Got my ticket for this Tuesday. Can't wait to see it.

#3 of 9 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,162 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 16 2014 - 11:50 AM

I tried to get tix for the Music Box free screen in Chicago.

Went so quick the server crashed. Sucks cause it is a director Q&A.

#4 of 9 Freddie Z

Freddie Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 04:13 PM

I liked it a lot.  But I'm still ranking The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou as my favorite Wes Anderson film.

#5 of 9 Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 08:13 AM

What aspect ratio is this film in?  The trailers and TV spots make it look taller than it is wide.

#6 of 9 Yavin

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 08:39 AM

There's a mixture of aspect ratios used, but the majority of the film (set in the 1930's) is framed 1:37:1 (to give a feel for the films from that era).

Read all my reviews here.

#7 of 9 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted March 21 2014 - 07:04 AM

I saw it & loved it, but I think it's a like it or loathe it film. I might do a rare thing for me & buy the Blu-ray of a new movie, as I'm sure I'll see something I missed every time I watch it.

#8 of 9 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted August 17 2014 - 05:56 PM

I rented this film a little over a week ago and then kept putting off watching it. I was going to return it without seeing it, but finally decided to pop it in the player and give it a spin. I'm glad I did. It was a pretty good film. It was quirky with a dry sense of humour. The actors did a bang up job portraying their characters, especially Fiennes as Gustave H. The fictional setting of the film and the overall tone of it kind of reminded me a bit of "Prisoner of Zenda". The banners with the highly modified SS symbology felt like an homage to the banners in Chaplin's "The Great Dictator". About the only thing that brought it down was the model work. I don't know if he deliberately set out to accentuate that they were miniatures or whether, with the advent of CGI, film makers have lost the ability to fake scale when using miniatures. All I know is that anything involving miniatures and models stuck out like sore thumbs in the film.

I still like "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" the best out of his films, but this one runs a close second. I'd give it an A-.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#9 of 9 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,464 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted August 18 2014 - 12:29 PM

I believe the obviousness of the miniatures was intentional, and for me, was one of the film's many charms.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users