HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Title: Veronica Mars

Tagline: She thought she was out.

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Crime

Director: Rob Thomas

Cast: Kristen Bell, Jason Dohring, Enrico Colantoni, Chris Lowell, Percy Daggs III, Tina Majorino, Krysten Ritter, Martin Starr, Gaby Hoffmann, Andrea Estella, Jerry O'Connell, Francis Capra, Ryan Hansen, Brandon Hillock, Maury Sterling, Sam Huntington, Max Greenfield, Daran Norris, Amanda Noret, Jonathan Chesner, Christiann Castellanos, Eden Sher, Christine Lakin, Lisa Thornhill, Charles Latibeaudiere, Harvey Levin, Adam Johnson, Ira Glass, Alejandro Escovedo, Larry Bates, Matthew Arkin, Dave Allen, Eddie Jemison, Alex Poncio, Helen Slayton-Hughes, Patrick Cox, Ryan Lane, Ingo Neuhaus, Jessica Camacho, Meredith Eaton, Robert Hallak, Jamie Lee Curtis, Dax Shepard, Jeremy Fitzgerald, Dorian Kingi, Ken Marino, Kevin Sheridan, Duane Daniels, Mario Ardila Jr., Justin Long, James Franco, Filip Watermann, Akiko Morison

Release: 2014-03-13

Runtime: 107

Plot: Years after walking away from her past as a teenage private eye, Veronica Mars gets pulled back to her hometown - just in time for her high school reunion - in order to help her old flame Logan Echolls, who's embroiled in a murder mystery.

The saying goes 'you can't go home again', but Veronica Mars, the film really blends in very well with the entire writing style, method and setup of the series. The film doesn't feel like a grand finale. It doesn't wrap things up into super neat bows, it doesn't even put up 'amazing' plot elements. Instead, it feels like one of the best Veronica Mars mysteries realized in a single viewing.There is something to be said for that; I can see people who will demand this film should have been more than it is, but I think back to TV shows turned movies (looking at you, X-Files, Star Trek: TNG) you try to do too much to capture the grandeur of film and you fail to bring to the screen the things your TV fans loves.

Veronica Mars the film gives fans an amazingly high level of fan service - it brings back the cute moments, the tip of the hat to things that fans love and it just moves the timeframe forward. In a lot of ways, Veronica Mars the film is like re-uniting with old friends, and instead of feeling as though they've become something unexpected, you find that while different they still feel like the friends you knew once upon a time.

Strong praise for the writing staff who managed to make this a very fan-friendly film that is also a pleasant time for those who aren't up on all Veronica Mars lore.

A solid "B"

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Hoping to check this out this weekend. "A long time ago, we used to be friends. But I haven't heard from you lately."

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Well shit. It doesn't seem to be playing in any theaters near my area. I wanted to support this in the theaters. Guess ill have to wait for the BD.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
You can digital rent or download from all the usual suspects right now.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Downloading the HD rental from the playstation store now. Will watch later tonight or tomorrow.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sean Bryan said:
Well shit. It doesn't seem to be playing in any theaters near my area.
I think the only chain that picked it up was AMC. I haven't seen any promotion for this movie so I better get to a theater this weekend because it'll probably be gone by next weekend.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I watched very early AM on my Apple TV as it isn't playing in my area. I enjoyed it very much. I think this is definitely doing better on video than in theaters. The last I checked it was the #3 movie on iTunes.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What about people who have never seen the series? Can they enjoy it?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Its a good mystery with snappy dialogue and good pace. I think even those who have never seen the series will enjoy

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I got the shooting script as part of my funding reward. The story seems quintessential VM, with fun nods for the fans. Trying to be objective, a newbie won't be alienated, but there's clearly some inside some stuff going on. Hopefully that inspires anyone who isn't in the know to watch the series.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Cameron Yee said:
Trying to be objective, a newbie won't be alienated, but there's clearly some inside some stuff going on.
It's been so long since I've seen the show that I've forgotten all but the major characters and broad strokes of the stories but I think that's a pretty accurate assessment.

The movie was good and it had everything that I enjoyed about the show. It was fun seeing a lot of the characters and having a "Oh yeah, I remember [character name]!" moment when they'd come onscreen.

I don't know if there was any kind of marketing campaign for the movie (I literally have seen no advertising) but the screening I was at was very crowded for a movie with no ad campaign and playing in that particular very rundown and slightly dangerous theater. I'm sure it was all existing fans (how else would they have heard of the movie?) but I have to imagine that it's per screen average will be pretty good. I figured that the ability to watch it online and it only playing in one chain would have really cut down on its theatrical earnings.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
TravisR said:
It's been so long since I've seen the show that I've forgotten all but the major characters and broad strokes of the stories but I think that's a pretty accurate assessment.

The movie was good and it had everything that I enjoyed about the show. It was fun seeing a lot of the characters and having a "Oh yeah, I remember [character name]!" moment when they'd come onscreen.

I don't know if there was any kind of marketing campaign for the movie (I literally have seen no advertising) but the screening I was at was very crowded for a movie with no ad campaign and playing in that particular very rundown and slightly dangerous theater. I'm sure it was all existing fans (how else would they have heard of the movie?) but I have to imagine that it's per screen average will be pretty good. I figured that the ability to watch it online and it only playing in one chain would have really cut down on its theatrical earnings.
I don't think anybody made this movie...to make money(didn't make it to lose either).

Like alluded to before...only heard cause of Ferguson(missed the Kickstarter)

Limited engagements like this(Sharknado anyone?) could be a future wave. Think of it as the "Twilight Time effect" on the movie going experience.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
I don't think anybody made this movie...to make money(didn't make it to lose either).

Like alluded to before...only heard cause of Ferguson(missed the Kickstarter)

Limited engagements like this(Sharknado anyone?) could be a future wave. Think of it as the "Twilight Time effect" on the movie going experience.
I hope this doesn't become a thing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
I hope this doesn't become a thing.
I think some bigger names in the independent movie world might get small movies made that way but I think the novelty of funding movies has already worn off for the public. Unless you've got a devoted fan base, I bet it'll be tough for even a name in the indie world to get $1 or $2 million.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I think some bigger names in the independent movie world might get small movies made that way but I think the novelty of funding movies has already worn off for the public. Unless you've got a devoted fan base, I bet it'll be tough for even a name in the indie world to get $1 or $2 million.
Sorry. I guess I should have clarified in that I hope it doesn't become a thing for more and more films to play in limited markets. I don't have an issue with fans crowd funding a film that they want to see made. I'd probably think of contributing myself if crowd funding was able to raise enough to get the second film in the "His Dark Materials" trilogy made.

I know people didn't like the first film, but I think it was a lot better film than "The Hunger Games" and I sure would like to see the former trilogy finished over the latter.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks