• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 of 43 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted March 13 2014 - 11:33 PM

The saying goes 'you can't go home again', but Veronica Mars, the film really blends in very well with the entire writing style, method and setup of the series.   The film doesn't feel like a grand finale.  It doesn't wrap things up into super neat bows, it doesn't even put up 'amazing' plot elements.  Instead, it feels like one of the best Veronica Mars mysteries realized in a single viewing.

There is something to be said for that;  I can see people who will demand this film should have been more than it is, but I think back to TV shows turned movies (looking at you, X-Files, Star Trek: TNG) you try to do too much to capture the grandeur of film and you fail to bring to the screen the things your TV fans loves.

Veronica Mars the film gives fans an amazingly high level of fan service - it brings back the cute moments, the tip of the hat to things that fans love and it just moves the timeframe forward.   In a lot of ways, Veronica Mars the film is like re-uniting with old friends, and instead of feeling as though they've become something unexpected, you find that while different they still feel like the friends you knew once upon a time.

Strong praise for the writing staff who managed to make this a very fan-friendly film that is also a pleasant time for those who aren't up on all Veronica Mars lore.

A solid "B"

• Mark Walker likes this

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 43 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,579 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 02:07 AM

Hoping to check this out this weekend.

"A long time ago, we used to be friends. But I haven't heard from you lately."
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#3 of 43 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,579 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 07:19 AM

Well shit. It doesn't seem to be playing in any theaters near my area.

I wanted to support this in the theaters. Guess ill have to wait for the BD.

#4 of 43 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 07:34 AM

I think it's available digital this weekend.

#5 of 43 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,427 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 14 2014 - 07:35 AM

You can digital rent or download from all the usual suspects right now.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#6 of 43 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,632 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 14 2014 - 07:37 AM

First I heard of it was on Ferguson last night...

I'll find it somewhere.

#7 of 43 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted March 14 2014 - 08:05 AM

I'm planning to buy the Blu. I'm the only one who wants her to end up with Piz
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#8 of 43 Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 2,579 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 08:49 AM

Downloading the HD rental from the playstation store now.

Will watch later tonight or tomorrow.

#9 of 43 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,797 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 14 2014 - 09:05 AM

Well shit. It doesn't seem to be playing in any theaters near my area.

I think the only chain that picked it up was AMC. I haven't seen any promotion for this movie so I better get to a theater this weekend because it'll probably be gone by next weekend.

#10 of 43 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,427 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 14 2014 - 09:51 AM

You are correct. They made other arrangements in some places that have no AMC theaters whatsoever (Portland, OR area and Lubbock).

https://www.kickstar...ct/posts/731701

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#11 of 43 Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 02:29 PM

I watched very early AM on my Apple TV as it isn't playing in my area.  I enjoyed it very much.  I think this is definitely doing better on video than in theaters.  The last I checked it was the #3 movie on iTunes.

#12 of 43 SamT

SamT

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 04:30 PM

What about people who have never seen the series? Can they enjoy it?

Here since 1999!

trakt is a fun way to see what we watch and rate. Add me if you are in this thread!

#13 of 43 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 05:30 PM

Its a good mystery with snappy dialogue and good pace. I think even those who have never seen the series will enjoy

#14 of 43 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,427 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 14 2014 - 10:37 PM

I got the shooting script as part of my funding reward. The story seems quintessential VM, with fun nods for the fans. Trying to be objective, a newbie won't be alienated, but there's clearly some inside some stuff going on. Hopefully that inspires anyone who isn't in the know to watch the series.

#15 of 43 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,797 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 10:20 AM

Trying to be objective, a newbie won't be alienated, but there's clearly some inside some stuff going on.

It's been so long since I've seen the show that I've forgotten all but the major characters and broad strokes of the stories but I think that's a pretty accurate assessment.

The movie was good and it had everything that I enjoyed about the show. It was fun seeing a lot of the characters and having a "Oh yeah, I remember [character name]!" moment when they'd come onscreen.

I don't know if there was any kind of marketing campaign for the movie (I literally have seen no advertising) but the screening I was at was very crowded for a movie with no ad campaign and playing in that particular very rundown and slightly dangerous theater. I'm sure it was all existing fans (how else would they have heard of the movie?) but I have to imagine that it's per screen average will be pretty good. I figured that the ability to watch it online and it only playing in one chain would have really cut down on its theatrical earnings.

#16 of 43 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,632 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 15 2014 - 10:34 AM

It's been so long since I've seen the show that I've forgotten all but the major characters and broad strokes of the stories but I think that's a pretty accurate assessment.

The movie was good and it had everything that I enjoyed about the show. It was fun seeing a lot of the characters and having a "Oh yeah, I remember [character name]!" moment when they'd come onscreen.

I don't know if there was any kind of marketing campaign for the movie (I literally have seen no advertising) but the screening I was at was very crowded for a movie with no ad campaign and playing in that particular very rundown and slightly dangerous theater. I'm sure it was all existing fans (how else would they have heard of the movie?) but I have to imagine that it's per screen average will be pretty good. I figured that the ability to watch it online and it only playing in one chain would have really cut down on its theatrical earnings.

I don't think anybody made this movie...to make money(didn't make it to lose either).

Like alluded to before...only heard cause of Ferguson(missed the Kickstarter)

Limited engagements like this(Sharknado anyone?) could be a future wave. Think of it as the "Twilight Time effect" on the movie going experience.

• Brenty likes this

#17 of 43 TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,010 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 10:49 AM

Sacramento, CA fans will have to wait for March 28 to see Veronica mars on the big screen. The folsom pallido theatre will be getting it.

www.cinemawest.com

http://www.sacbee.co...n-for-fans.html

Jacob

#18 of 43 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 11:12 AM

I don't think anybody made this movie...to make money(didn't make it to lose either).

Like alluded to before...only heard cause of Ferguson(missed the Kickstarter)

Limited engagements like this(Sharknado anyone?) could be a future wave. Think of it as the "Twilight Time effect" on the movie going experience.

I hope this doesn't become a thing.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#19 of 43 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,797 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 01:28 PM

I hope this doesn't become a thing.

I think some bigger names in the independent movie world might get small movies made that way but I think the novelty of funding movies has already worn off for the public. Unless you've got a devoted fan base, I bet it'll be tough for even a name in the indie world to get $1 or $2 million.

#20 of 43 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 02:25 PM

I think some bigger names in the independent movie world might get small movies made that way but I think the novelty of funding movies has already worn off for the public. Unless you've got a devoted fan base, I bet it'll be tough for even a name in the indie world to get $1 or $2 million.

Sorry. I guess I should have clarified in that I hope it doesn't become a thing for more and more films to play in limited markets. I don't have an issue with fans crowd funding a film that they want to see made. I'd probably think of contributing myself if crowd funding was able to raise enough to get the second film in the "His Dark Materials" trilogy made.

I know people didn't like the first film, but I think it was a lot better film than "The Hunger Games" and I sure would like to see the former trilogy finished over the latter.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users