Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
346 replies to this topic

#21 of 347 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,930 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 06:36 AM

I was kinda hoping they would have included RAH 's live version of Cinderella featuring a young Lesley Anne Warren but not to be. I'd see Carousel just to see Shirley Jones in her pre-Partridge family days.

I had to read this several times, and then had to look at subsequent posts.Did you mean R&H  or RAH (Rodgers And Hammerstein)? 

Because here on HTF, "RAH" has a different connotation.    Unless Mr. Harris has yet another accomplishment for us to be thankful for.

#22 of 347 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island, Florida

Posted March 15 2014 - 09:04 AM

Definitely Rodgers & Hammerstein.

#23 of 347 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 986 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 12:23 PM

The live version was with Julie Andrews in the late 50's. Lesley Ann Warren did the tape 60's version. Both are or were out on DVD but not sure the quality would lend its self to Blu of either production.

Can't imagine that it would. The 1956 is a kinescope, and the 1964 is videotape. DVD has higher resolution than either. By the way, the 1964 Warren is OOP and bringing high prices. All you can get at reasonable cost is the 1956 Julie Andrews and that putrid 1997 Brandy. I suppose at some point they'll film the current PC Cinderella -- not that I'd buy it! I'll stick with the original story (in other words the 1956 and 1964), which has lasted hundreds of years and needs no help from the disciples of Bowdler.

#24 of 347 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,045 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 15 2014 - 07:52 PM

Can't imagine that it would. The 1956 is a kinescope, and the 1964 is videotape. DVD has higher resolution than either. By the way, the 1964 Warren is OOP and bringing high prices. All you can get at reasonable cost is the 1956 Julie Andrews and that putrid 1997 Brandy. I suppose at some point they'll film the current PC Cinderella -- not that I'd buy it! I'll stick with the original story (in other words the 1956 and 1964), which has lasted hundreds of years and needs no help from the disciples of Bowdler.

Agree.

#25 of 347 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,045 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 15 2014 - 07:57 PM

I got both DVD's of the early productions. I grew up on the Lesley Anne Warren version so it is my favorite. Forget Brandy version and whatever comes next. Just like the new NBC Peter Pan I only want the Mary Martin version. I'll just stay in "My Own Little Corner."

#26 of 347 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,256 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted March 15 2014 - 07:58 PM

I've pre-ordered on the basis that it's easy enough to cancel if the full details, when available, do not make purchase a compelling decision. If enouigh of us pre-order, then maybe this listing really will lead to a definite release, unlike the earlier Amazon.co.uk phantom offering.

#27 of 347 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted March 15 2014 - 10:17 PM

On the OTHER R&H Collection thread, RAH has chimed in with his observations upon seeing the Todd-AO restoration in 2k HD on a 25' screen...he's THRILLED with the results!!! :thumbsup:

#28 of 347 ONLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 887 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted March 15 2014 - 10:54 PM

On the OTHER R&H Collection thread, RAH has chimed in with his observations upon seeing the Todd-AO restoration in 2k HD on a 25" screen...he's THRILLED with the results!!! :thumbsup:

25 feet, not inches.

#29 of 347 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted March 15 2014 - 10:57 PM

Corrected my post...thanks for catching the typo!!! :P

#30 of 347 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,346 posts

Posted March 15 2014 - 11:01 PM

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]Since, I already own Sound of Music and South Pacific, I can wait on the single releases as there are only two must own titles left for me.  They are Oklahoma and The King and I.  For an investment of $140, I can use those funds to buy other must have titles while I wait on the single releases.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]I am going to cancel my preorder for this boxed set.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]It never helps when you already own more than one title that[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]is being recycled into an expensive set.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]The singles will eventually be available.[/color]

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#31 of 347 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,415 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 16 2014 - 12:00 AM

I'm especially looking forward to "The King and I".  Its plush production values are going to absolutely explode on Blu-ray.  Getting chills already.  Like the others I already have the single releases of "Sound of Music" and "South Pacific", but will more than happily double-dip if those 2 have been revised or have new extras - though those were pretty comprehensive in the first place.

Dare we hope that the 1962 "State Fair" (one of my personal favourites) will be included as it was with the last DVD release of the original 40's "State Fair"?  And what of my beloved "Flower Drum Song"?????

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#32 of 347 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island, Florida

Posted March 16 2014 - 12:04 AM

I got both DVD's of the early productions. I grew up on the Lesley Anne Warren version so it is my favorite. Forget Brandy version and whatever comes next. Just like the new NBC Peter Pan I only want the Mary Martin version. I'll just stay in "My Own Little Corner."

[color=#b22222;]So how's the image quality on the Lesley Anne Warren version DVD?[/color]

[color=#b22222;]You can't touch one on Amazon for less than $70.  Somebody was right in saying (on Wiki I believe) this version is more highly regarded than even the Disney animated versions.[/color]

#33 of 347 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,415 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 16 2014 - 12:20 AM

I'll always prefer the '57 Julie Andrews version, with Lesley Ann Warren a close second.  Picture quality on the older OOP Lesley Ann Warren disc is good - from original videotape source.  Lovely colour.  A trifle grainy. 

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#34 of 347 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,462 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 16 2014 - 04:27 AM

Yes, I grew up with the Lesley Ann Warren version so it's always been my favorite (despite being a dyed-in-the-wool Julie Andrews fan). Yearly repeats were almost anticipated as much as The Wizard of Oz replays each year.

The 1964 version interpolated "Loneliness of Evening" for the Prince giving him a glorious introduction (and Stuart Damon is a better singer than Jon Cypher), and I can't say I miss the song for the King and Queen that wasn't used in the 1964 version.

I had no idea the 1964 version was out of print. I can't imagine why something like that would EVER go out of print. There are always going to be families who would want that, and it's certainly not played on TV any more.

Maybe the R&H Organization is planning a new TV special once the Broadway version and its national tour are concluded.

#35 of 347 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 619 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:04 AM

I wish that the Sound of Music audio was tweaked a little so that the sound effects could actually be clearly heard.

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#36 of 347 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:11 AM

The 1964 version interpolated "Loneliness of Evening" for the Prince giving him a glorious introduction (and Stuart Damon is a better singer than Jon Cypher), and I can't say I miss the song for the King and Queen that wasn't used in the 1964 version.

Maybe the R&H Organization is planning a new TV special once the Broadway version and its national tour are concluded.

Although the Disney Brandy version substituted "The Sweetest Sound" for introducing the Prince, salvaging it from another failed solo-Rodgers musical, and seemed like it had enough innocent sentiment to fit the musical style better here.

(While they're at the Rodger-ing, they also give the Rodgers & Hart "Falling In Love with Love" to Bernadette Peters as the stepmother, but that sticks out like more of a sore thumb than the Prince's song.  You can tell the Hammerstein-lyric'ed songs in the original.)

And given that TV can't think outside of its own box for the same two TV-aired musicals--now three with Sound of Music--I'd say that another Cinderella from the current version is If, Not When.  At least I hope so.   :)

#37 of 347 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,462 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 16 2014 - 12:32 PM

Although the Disney Brandy version substituted "The Sweetest Sound" for introducing the Prince, salvaging it from another failed solo-Rodgers musical, and seemed like it had enough innocent sentiment to fit the musical style better here.

Ah, but it wasn't from a failed Rodgers effort. It was from No Strings which was not only a hit but which won Rodgers another Tony Award for Best Score. I didn't like its interpolation at all into the Brandy version, but then I didn't like much about that version from casting to performance.

#38 of 347 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,270 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 12:48 PM

So what titles are included in this box set, I'm a bit confused?

#39 of 347 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,415 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 16 2014 - 12:57 PM

Ah, but it wasn't from a failed Rodgers effort. It was from No Strings which was not only a hit but which won Rodgers another Tony Award for Best Score. I didn't like its interpolation at all into the Brandy version, but then I didn't like much about that version from casting to performance.

Yes I was just going to say that, Matt.  Opened this week in 1962.  Diahann Carroll also won for her performance as Barbara Woodruff.  Though most only remember "The Sweetest Sounds", the score as a whole is quite strong and is one of my favourites from Rodgers.

#40 of 347 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,045 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 16 2014 - 02:02 PM

So how's the image quality on the Lesley Anne Warren version DVD?You can't touch one on Amazon for less than $70. Somebody was right in saying (on Wiki I believe) this version is more highly regarded than even the Disney animated versions.

It's a 5.4 on a scale of 10. Many scenes are blurry. But I grew up with it so I love it. As I do Mary Martin as Peter Pan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users