Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fox Cinema Archives Debuts 18 New Classic Films on DVD starting March 18!

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#41 of 312 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted March 25 2014 - 09:25 AM

According to some amazon reviews, the Fox release is a poor, panned-and-scanned transfer which looks like the same one used for an old VHS release. It has apparently also been released in Wide Screen in Korea and Portugal. I do not know if these releases are 16:9 or LBX, but either way, they sound like a better option.

Yeah, don't count of the FCA to go for the best available alternative like that letterboxed Sodom & Gomorrah transfer.  Chances are they'll just come across a worn P&S video master and think "that'll do."  Sometimes I wonder if they even watch the transfers before encoding them.

#42 of 312 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 458 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted March 26 2014 - 04:00 AM

024543901495_Id_Climb_The_Highest_Mountain_ dvd cover.jpg

024543934691_Cardinal_Richelieu_dvd cover.jpg

Here is the great original poster art being used for the dvd covers these titles. I hope the transfer of I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN is a good one (unlike that of GOLDEN GIRL, a Fox Technicolor film from the same era. It is reportedly terrible).

Interesting that the George Arliss movie was actually released by United Artists. Maybe it was made as the merger took place with Fox and some of the 20th CENTURY films- like the Disney and Goldwyn films- were released by other studios.( My  late mother once told me that her mother, my grandmother  Ida(1891-1976) was a big fan of George Arliss.I'm sure people forget how big a star he was in the early talkie era)

#43 of 312 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,852 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 26 2014 - 05:44 AM

Joseph Schenck, the president of United Artists, cofounded Twentieth Century Pictures with Darryl F. Zanuck, former head of production at the Warner Bros. studio. Twentieth Century Pictures was organized in April 1933. Twentieth Century signed a distribution deal with United Artists in July 1933, and quickly became the number one supplier of films for the distributor.

#44 of 312 OFFLINE   jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 10:03 AM

Sure wish FOX would release the double bill of Girls Demand Excitement / Three Grils Lost.  Been waiting for these to get released to home media for decades now.

#45 of 312 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 11:20 AM

I'm also in for some George Arliss action.

#46 of 312 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted March 26 2014 - 03:05 PM

I'D CLIMB THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN has been shipped out to me.  I will report if it looks better than the VHS copy.

• JoHud likes this

#47 of 312 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for the information re Twentieth Century Pictures and UA. Very interesting. William Fox's widow sued Fox in the '30's as she felt her late husband had been taken advantage of. I am not sure of the outcome of the case.

I believe METROPOLITAN with Lawrence Tibbett was the first Twentieth Century Fox release. For its historic importance alone it should be released as a FCA title. Quite a good print used to air on the Fox Movie Channel. 

What has happened to Fox's tuneful,all-star answer to MEET ME IN ST LOUIS:  CENTENNIAL SUMMER directed by Otto Preminger?  It was quite a hit for Fox in its day and contains great color cinematography, first-class production values and Jerome Kern's last score?

half_centennial_summer HS.jpg

Centennial Summer LCs.jpg

Is there a problem with the rights? They have released just about every Fox Preminger movie in the UK but not this one.

#48 of 312 OFFLINE   FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 221 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 07:59 AM

Would love to have a copy of Centennial Summer....being from the Philadelphia area and the movie based on the Centennial Exposition in Fairmount Park in Philadelphia....marking the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.   Have written several times to TCF about this title...but no response or a DVD has been forthcoming.  Also why hasn't an equally well-known 40's title, Pied Piper, been released ?

#49 of 312 OFFLINE   PODER

PODER

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 12:17 PM

Has anyone else had trouble taking advantage of the FOX CONNECT 50% off sale today?

Problem One: The "Look It Up" box in the upper right hand corner never works, so I have to scroll like mad to find desired titles.

Problem Two: Once my choices are in the purchase box and I try to actually order them, they're all removed and I'm back with an empty order box. This has now happened FIVE FRIGGIN' TIMES today.

Problem Three: When I call their "Help" number, I'm told that they can't take orders over the phone, and no one is available to help me place my order. So far the only suggestion I've received is "check your cookies".

I've NEVER had trouble ordering on-line before, from ANY site, but they do seem determined NOT to let me purchase. Can anyone help me?   Many thanks, Poder

#50 of 312 OFFLINE   JoelA

JoelA

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationThe Western Reserve, Cleveland, OH

Posted March 27 2014 - 12:38 PM

Has anyone else had trouble taking advantage of the FOX CONNECT 50% off sale today?

Problem One: The "Look It Up" box in the upper right hand corner never works, so I have to scroll like mad to find desired titles.

Problem Two: Once my choices are in the purchase box and I try to actually order them, they're all removed and I'm back with an empty order box. This has now happened FIVE FRIGGIN' TIMES today.

Problem Three: When I call their "Help" number, I'm told that they can't take orders over the phone, and no one is available to help me place my order. So far the only suggestion I've received is "check your cookies".

I've NEVER had trouble ordering on-line before, from ANY site, but they do seem determined NOT to let me purchase. Can anyone help me?   Many thanks, Poder

I had trouble with it, but got it to work finally. The FoxConnect site is a disaster. As far as the search "Look It Up" field, I discovered it works by typing in what you are looking for and then hitting the "enter" key on your keyboard, not by placing the cursor on the search button and clicking on it. Hang in there as it will take eventually. Good luck!

#51 of 312 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,852 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 27 2014 - 01:21 PM

This reminds me of trying to buy all those new Blu-rays last December. Search - forget it!!
  • Mark Collins likes this

#52 of 312 OFFLINE   PODER

PODER

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 02:32 PM

Joel ... many thanks for the info on "hitting the enter button"! I'll give that a try in the future. I finally had a computer whiz kid from our

building help me out, and even he was stumped for some while. He finally did figure what what "check your cookies" meant, and I was able to place my order. FOX CONNECT surely doesn't seem all that eager to be helpful, does it? They wouldn't even allow me to pay by PayPal, until my whiz kid sorted things out.

• ajabrams likes this

#53 of 312 OFFLINE   ajabrams

ajabrams

Second Unit

• 266 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 03:52 PM

I'm amazed you figured out how to use Paypal on Fox Connect. I tried several different ways  to make it work but to no avail.

Also it was not clear that all titles were not included in the sale. I only found out by trial and error which of them weren'twhen I entered them into my cart and the discount wouldn't apply.

And don't even mention all the titles wrongly titled with the word "The" -- "The Nob Hill"???  "The Junior Miss???"etc.,etc.

• PODER likes this

#54 of 312 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for the tip re the Fox Connect sale. I picked up BLOOD AND SAND (blu ray), NOB HILL, THE BRASHER DOUBLOON and WIFE, HUSBAND AND FRIEND, all for under US $40 with free shipping. I did not seem to have trouble with the website. I did notice one mistake- they have listed the Archive release of the 1950 Clifton Webb movie FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE under 'Movies from the '20's' and listed the cast of the 1926 Harold Lloyd film. I nearly ordered it, thinking it was the Lloyd comedy. This error could lead to many hassles for buyers and Fox Connect.

#55 of 312 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,888 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 28 2014 - 09:07 PM

Does the Fox Connect site always offer free shipping to international destinations?  Also, how fast are they at sending out orders? 

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#56 of 312 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 09:37 PM

Does the Fox Connect site always offer free shipping to international destinations?

I was wondering the same thing.

#57 of 312 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 03:45 AM

Apologies for not clarifying. I had the movies shipped to the address of a friend in CT.

#58 of 312 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,888 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 29 2014 - 01:07 PM

As a test, I took an item through the PayPal checkout and it allowed me to order (and it said 'free postage' to Australia), so not sure what to think there... 

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#59 of 312 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted March 29 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hey this is great because I have had the same problem.  Now I hear the answer.  Fox should read these posts and fix their darn site.

#60 of 312 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,141 posts

Posted March 30 2014 - 01:14 PM

SODOM AND GOMORRAH I just watched. I had recorded it a few years back on Fox Movie Channel widescreen and it was the long version with a pause in the movie. I have not watched the movie for quite some time and did like it. I wonder why Fox did a pan and scan on the film. I know we all have been asking that just like the folks over at Amazon. Should get Mountain Monday and will report.

I hope it is good for I would like to order Forever Amber too when it comes out.
  • greg.shoemaker likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users