-

Photo

Fox Cinema Archives Debuts 18 New Classic Films on DVD starting March 18!

Fox

• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#241 of 251 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts

Posted October 05 2014 - 01:19 AM

FXM Retro has been showing Henry King's CHAD HANNA in sumptuous color. Has anyone picked up the Fox Archive release of this one? If it is anything like what has been playing, it's worth getting; and maybe, just maybe, Fox's restoration team could work on it and release it themselves or through TT.

Dorothy Lamour, Linda Darnell and even Henry Fonda's blue eyes in a gorgeous color print...worth checking.

I watched the DVD-R of Chad Hanna last night. It's quite good and well worth buying if you like the film. (I do. Linda Darnell is my favorite female movie star and I always like the two Henrys, Fonda and King)

The colors are good. Blues and reds are vibrant and although the transfer has some difficulty coping with Ernest Palmer's and Ray Rennahan's more subtle shadings, in total I have no major complaint. The focus is slightly soft but I don't know if the original negative had soft images or if it's a problem with the remaining elements. Anyway, I emphasise slightly. The sound is good.

I'm pleased with this disc. It's so much better than the old VHS off-air recording I've been persevering with all these years.  

• bujaki likes this

#242 of 251 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,251 posts

Posted October 05 2014 - 08:15 PM

Anyone pick up The Lieutenant Wore Skirts yet? There are no reviews for it on Amazon's site. I'm waiting for confirmation that it's actually 16x9 as Movie Unlimited suggests.

#243 of 251 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 439 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted October 06 2014 - 01:18 AM

Me too. No reviews anywhere and some website stores (eg. Deepdiscount) don't have it listed yet. The Letterbox transfer shown on FMC was very good. Let's hope the dvd has come from the same print and is really in stereo.

#244 of 251 OFFLINE   rkirk

rkirk

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 06 2014 - 04:57 AM

POPULAR

Yes! The Lieutenant Wore Skirts is anamorphic widescreen.  I haven't viewed the movie yet but was pleased to see the widescreen image. 

• Thomas T, Robin9, JoHud and 2 others like this

#245 of 251 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,251 posts

Posted October 06 2014 - 05:50 AM

Thank you, Mr. Kirk! Now I will order it with confidence!

#246 of 251 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted October 07 2014 - 02:03 PM

Today's announcement:

ae.jpg   af.jpg

#247 of 251 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,747 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted October 07 2014 - 11:24 PM

"Magnificent Dope" sounds fun.  Lynn Bari is always great. 

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#248 of 251 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted October 08 2014 - 04:47 AM

Don Ameche was a busy man at Fox in those days. Glad he finally won an Oscar late in his career (although I am not a fan of the film he won it for, apart from certain performances in it and the James Horner score). I recently viewed THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL (which led to the telephone being called "the Ameche", see BALL OF FIRE for cinematic evidence of this) and SWANEE RIVER. I hope the latter comes out on Blu Ray. The Archives release apparently looks like the whole film was shot at midnight under limited lighting (!)  The print I saw- from a UK broadcast- was brighter with good color however Fox must have a good HD master as it was a nominee in their voting procedure last year.

#249 of 251 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 576 posts

Posted October 10 2014 - 02:11 PM

Don Ameche was a busy man at Fox in those days. Glad he finally won an Oscar late in his career (although I am not a fan of the film he won it for, apart from certain performances in it and the James Horner score). I recently viewed THE STORY OF ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL (which led to the telephone being called "the Ameche", see BALL OF FIRE for cinematic evidence of this) and SWANEE RIVER. I hope the latter comes out on Blu Ray. The Archives release apparently looks like the whole film was shot at midnight under limited lighting (!)  The print I saw- from a UK broadcast- was brighter with good color however Fox must have a good HD master as it was a nominee in their voting procedure last year.

There were still Don Ameche telephone jokes being made in Mad Magazine in the 1960s!

Re: THE MAGNIFICENT DOPE: I've never seen Fonda looking like he does in the poster. I can't imagine him making a face like that, even in the movie.

#250 of 251 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,654 posts

Posted October 10 2014 - 02:38 PM

Re: THE MAGNIFICENT DOPE: I've never seen Fonda looking like he does in the poster. I can't imagine him making a face like that, even in the movie.

At first glance, I thought I was looking at Eddie Cantor.

#251 of 251 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,519 posts

Posted October 10 2014 - 04:29 PM

At first glance, I thought I was looking at Eddie Cantor.

Looks more like Keefe Brasselle.  :lol:

• JoelA likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users