Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fox Cinema Archives Debuts 18 New Classic Films on DVD starting March 18!

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
409 replies to this topic

#201 of 410 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,535 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 17 2014 - 08:53 PM

More Sonja Henie - very nice.  The Dionne Quintuplets film is quite the curiosity.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#202 of 410 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,085 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 18 2014 - 09:29 PM

I just watched EVERYBODY'S BABY from Fox Cinema Classics. I love the Jones Family series and looking forward to Down On The Farm. The transfer is excellent. Crisp and clear and little to no scratches or dirt. The only draw back is the sound has some hiss to it but not to the point it ruins the film. I mean how can not love a film that Spring Byington is in. What a great actress.I hope that Fox releases the rest of the series. It was their answer to MGM's Hardy family series as was Paramount's Henry Aldrich series, which Universal has yet to release. Are you reading this Universal? Please!!!
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#203 of 410 OFFLINE   revgen

revgen

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 04:13 PM

Classic Hollywood | Los Angeles Times

Fox Cinema Archives are releasing several more vintage titles on DVD. Just released are the 1939 Sonja Henie comedy "Everything Happens at Night" and the 1934 Oscar-nominated "The Affairs of Cellini" starring Fredric March and Fay Wray.

On tap for July 29 are the 1976 Jack Lemmon comedy "Alex & The Gypsy" and Clara Bow's 1932 "Call Her Savage." Other titles including 1938's "Getaway' (Aug. 5) with Don Ameche. For more information go to the 20th Century Fox Studio Classics Facebook page.

https://www.facebook...?type=1

#204 of 410 OFFLINE   Aunt Peg

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted July 24 2014 - 11:00 PM

Finally Alex and the Gypsy!

I understand it's pretty terrible but it is something I have long wanted to see.

#205 of 410 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Producer

• 3,035 posts

Posted July 29 2014 - 01:27 PM

For those curious, Blood and Steel is widescreen but (not surprisingly) non-anamorphic letterboxed.

#206 of 410 OFFLINE   ValLewton

ValLewton

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 01:18 PM

POPULAR

Call Her Savage- really bad news about this title- according to DVD Savant-

The 20th Century Fox Cinema Archives DVD of Call Her Savage does not appear to be mastered from MoMA's restoration, but is instead from a dupe of a worn film element. Although the show is intact and of reasonable image quality, it is marred by a pattern of light scratch marks printed into the image from beginning to end. Occasional analog tape flaws crop up, suggesting that the transfer was done before digital mastering.

Fox, What is the point of putting this out and not using the best possible source? It's bad enough what you are doing with Cinemascope movies and now this! This was actually a title i was not going to wait for a sale to buy but glad I waited for a review before purchasing. 

Highly unlikely but really hope the MoMa restorations of this and Hoopla get the Twilight Time or Criterion treatment.

Big Disappointment about this Pre Code classic.

#207 of 410 OFFLINE   Danny Burk

Danny Burk

Second Unit

• 273 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN

Posted August 11 2014 - 08:06 PM

That's a disappointment - it was one that I'd also planned to order - glad I saw the review first.

#208 of 410 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted September 09 2014 - 05:43 PM

Posted Image

This is due out on September 30th. There was a very poor release of this in Europe. This should be a better transfer. A 1938 Ritz Brothers comedy with Ethel Merman is also being released on this date: STRAIGHT, PLACE AND SHOW

#209 of 410 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted September 09 2014 - 05:46 PM

Posted Image

#210 of 410 OFFLINE   Camps

Camps

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted September 09 2014 - 05:59 PM

Two observations:

- The Ritz Bros. (bless 'em) were maybe the lamest comedy troupe of the olden age

- If a movie were released today called "Molly and Me" it would be about something totally different... ;)

#211 of 410 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 915 posts

Posted September 10 2014 - 08:20 AM

Ethel Merman and the Ritz Bros. in one movie...the mind boggles.  :wacko: I don't know if I can handle so much shrillness in one 68-minute movie. (Well, at least it's short.)

Willie Best might offer some saving grace if he has a big enough part. He plays a character named Hannibal. The next time someone complains about a white actor playing Hannibal (as some historians did after Victor Mature played the part in 1960), you can now point them to this movie.  ;)

#212 of 410 OFFLINE   ValLewton

ValLewton

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted September 10 2014 - 08:22 AM

Many Fox Archive titles are on sale at Amazon. Some of the more recent are 14.99. It's better then paying 19.95-now if only they could bring the prices down on the recent Universal vault titles!

#213 of 410 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,408 posts

Posted September 13 2014 - 07:32 PM

I just rerecorded today Prince of Players from Fox movie channel.  I will buy this movie in any form they give to me.  I have only done this with two other titles if they should offer it.

Where the heck is King of the Khyber Rifles which I have recorded but has not been out of the vault for some time.  I also want Seven Cities of Gold which is broadcast quite often.

#214 of 410 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 2,242 posts

Posted September 14 2014 - 12:25 AM

Where the heck is King of the Khyber Rifles which I have recorded but has not been out of the vault for some time. 

It's in the U. K. Obviously a Region 2 disc, but if you're multi-region . . . . 

#215 of 410 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 915 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 10:42 AM

I just rerecorded today Prince of Players from Fox movie channel.  I will buy this movie in any form they give to me.  I have only done this with two other titles if they should offer it.

Where the heck is King of the Khyber Rifles which I have recorded but has not been out of the vault for some time.  I also want Seven Cities of Gold which is broadcast quite often.

PRINCE OF PLAYERS? How did it slip by me? I've been trying to record every film with a Bernard Herrmann score from Fox.

Why not a Bernard Herrmann box set or two from Fox?

THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO

WHITE WITCH DOCTOR 

BENEATH THE 12-MILE REEF

GARDEN OF EVIL

KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES

PRINCE OF PLAYERS

THE MAN IN THE GRAY FLANNEL SUIT

or a b&w one:

JANE EYRE

HANGOVER SQUARE

ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM

THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

#216 of 410 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,408 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 11:12 AM

Vic it will be back.  Fox will air the movie again several times this month I am sure.

I just bought Frenchmans Creek from Universal Vault series.  I did not know it was out.  Have not seen this movie in many many years.  I thought it was a Fox film for some reason.  I wonder how long it has been out and how it will look.  I have never purchased from this series before.

#217 of 410 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,535 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 15 2014 - 03:14 PM

"Frenchman's Creek" was released just a couple of weeks ago.  I have yet to see it myself, but its on my wish-list.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#218 of 410 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,408 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 04:11 PM

I will report how Frenchman's Creek looks after I receive it next week.

#219 of 410 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 915 posts

Posted September 16 2014 - 04:43 AM

I remember liking FRENCHMAN'S CREEK a lot when it used to air on TV back in the day. Beautiful Technicolor and delightful performance by Joan Fontaine. It's based on a historical romance novel by Daphne du Maurier (REBECCA, THE BIRDS). The only problem with it was a rather uncharismatic leading man, Arturo de Cordova, who was cast because all the charismatic swashbuckling leading men were off fighting in the war or entertaining the troops or something related.

#220 of 410 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Screenwriter

• 1,214 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted September 16 2014 - 10:06 AM

Arturo may have been miscast in Frenchman's Creek, but he was a big, charismatic star in Mexico. Superb performance in Bunuel's "El."

And I agree, Frenchman's Creek is a beautiful Technicolor production with a gorgeous Joan Fontaine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users