What's new

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection: Amazon pre-order! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
The new 4k restorations of "Oklahoma!"(1955)in 65mm Todd-AO AND Cinemascope, "The King & I"(1956), "Carousel"(1956) and BOTH versions of "State Fair"??? Been waiting for the R&H Estate & Fox to put these out on blu-ray since the introduction of the format 8 years ago!!! :dance:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
lukejosephchung said:
The new 4k restorations of "Oklahoma!"(1955)in 65mm Todd-AO AND Cinemascope, "The King & I"(1956), "Carousel"(1956) and BOTH versions of "State Fair"??? Been waiting for the R&H Estate & Fox to put these out on blu-ray since the introduction of the format 8 years ago!!! :dance:
Luke: Is that a wish list? Or did you find some information that's not mentioned here?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
With no date, looks like a placeholder. (Or with price, for a cancelled release.)

I'll save my banana-Gangnaming until the announcement, thanks. And then just for King & I, if we're getting separates.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Mike Frezon said:
Luke: Is that a wish list? Or did you find some information that's not mentioned here?
Been keeping track of this project via multiple sources...HTF member Jamie Finn posts updates about this joint R&H/Fox blu-ray project here and I've also been getting updates via the Rodgers & Hammerstein Estate's website..."Oklahoma!" is being re-released theatrically this spring in 4k, sourced from the original 65mm Todd-AO camera negatives, so it stands to reason that the rest of the catalog has been receiving the same treatment over the past 7-8 years!!!

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Giovanni DN said:
Giovanni DN said:
Giovanni- this means absolutely nothing. Amazon (UK) had it listed over 2 years ago and it was due for release in October 2012.Nothing eventuated. Don't get too excited as the collection is a long way off- maybe a year or more. There has been no sign of THE KING AND I,STATE FAIR (The original) nor CAROUSEL being restored for bluray. They were to be included in the set (along with South Pacific and Oklahoma.).Keep dreaming!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm guessing South Pacific and The Sound of Music are the same releases as before.

But still, it's about time.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm only after Oklahoma! and Carousel since I already have South Pacific and TSOM ... I can't see any radical improvement in those two especially since South Pacific is such a standout transfer (as was its earlier incarnation as a DVD).
There again, if the price for the box set is the same as for those two plus perhaps State Fair (first version) then it would be worthwhile ...

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Carousel was almost filmed twice, once for Cinemascope and again for Cinemascope 55. Frank Sinatra walked away from the role when he found this out, saying :You’re not getting two Sinatras for the price of one' ... but had he stayed, he would have filmed it just the once as technology changes meant only one shoot was necessary. I can't see anyone else except Gordon McRae in the role so it was a lucky break really ....

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Does anyone have any info on just where and when the OKLAHOMA! 4K restoration will be showing in theatres? I know it is the opening screening for the TCM festival next month, but otherwise I have not heard anything.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Like most here, I'm a bit skeptical until we get an official announcement from Fox. It wouldn't be the first time Amazon jumped the gun with a listing that later dissappears. However, if it's legitimate, I hope they release the films individually at the same time for those of us who don't care to double-dip on the two titles that are already available.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
lukejosephchung said:
You're paying for EIGHT separately-filmed movies...both "State Fair" & "Oklahoma!" were done TWICE!!!
Yeah, but some of us have two of them already and I'm not sure Oklahoma should be considered two separate films.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert Crawford said:
Yeah, but some of us have two of them already and I'm not sure Oklahoma should be considered two separate films.
Exactly. Personally, I am only interested in Oklahoma and the original State Fair, so I hope when this does get officially announced the titles will be released separately, too.

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Robert Crawford said:
I got the cinemascope Oklahoma! as well as the Todd AO version when they were each available on Laserdisc.
The main difference I noticed was that the Cinemascope seemed to have more energy while the Todd AO had better picture resolution. Other differences I remember are Ado Annie being framed much closer in I Can't Say No for the Todd AO version. Also, that wonderful butterfly that seems to dance across the screen in Surry With the Fringe on Top is only in the Cinemascope version. I think the Kansas City dance is better in the Todd Ao (I'd have to check this) - I hate the part where Gene Nelson & company are tap dancing but only shown from the waist up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.