Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection: Amazon pre-order!

Fox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
138 replies to this topic

#1 of 139 OFFLINE   Giovanni DN

Giovanni DN

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 01:31 PM

Yeehaw!

• lukejosephchung likes this

#2 of 139 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,507 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted March 13 2014 - 01:41 PM

I will eagerly await more details before placing an order, but it sounds exciting!

#3 of 139 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted March 13 2014 - 01:42 PM

The new 4k restorations of "Oklahoma!"(1955)in 65mm Todd-AO AND Cinemascope, "The King & I"(1956), "Carousel"(1956) and BOTH versions of "State Fair"??? Been waiting for the R&H Estate & Fox to put these out on blu-ray since the introduction of the format 8 years ago!!! :dance:

#4 of 139 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 13 2014 - 01:48 PM

The new 4k restorations of "Oklahoma!"(1955)in 65mm Todd-AO AND Cinemascope, "The King & I"(1956), "Carousel"(1956) and BOTH versions of "State Fair"??? Been waiting for the R&H Estate & Fox to put these out on blu-ray since the introduction of the format 8 years ago!!! :dance:

Luke:  Is that a wish list?  Or did you find some information that's not mentioned here?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 139 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,793 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 01:54 PM

With no date, looks like a placeholder.  (Or with price, for a cancelled release.)

I'll save my banana-Gangnaming until the announcement, thanks.  And then just for King & I, if we're getting separates.

#6 of 139 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 02:02 PM

Luke:  Is that a wish list?  Or did you find some information that's not mentioned here?

Been keeping track of this project via multiple sources...HTF member Jamie Finn posts updates about this joint R&H/Fox blu-ray project here and I've also been getting updates via the Rodgers & Hammerstein Estate's website..."Oklahoma!" is being re-released theatrically this spring in 4k, sourced from the original 65mm Todd-AO camera negatives, so it stands to reason that the rest of the catalog has been receiving the same treatment over the past 7-8 years!!!

#7 of 139 OFFLINE   cinerama10

cinerama10

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 02:13 PM

Giovanni- this  means absolutely nothing. Amazon (UK) had it listed   over 2 years ago and it was due for release in October 2012.Nothing eventuated. Don't get  too excited as  the  collection is  a long way off- maybe a year or more. There has been no sign of  THE KING AND I,STATE FAIR (The original) nor CAROUSEL being  restored for bluray. They were to be included in the  set (along with South Pacific and Oklahoma.).Keep   dreaming!

#8 of 139 OFFLINE   Giovanni DN

Giovanni DN

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 02:23 PM

The King & I in glorious HD! Finally! :dance:

• MatthewA likes this

#9 of 139 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 13 2014 - 03:40 PM

I'm guessing South Pacific and The Sound of Music are the same releases as before.

But still, it's about time.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#10 of 139 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted March 13 2014 - 03:47 PM

I'm only after Oklahoma! and Carousel since I already have South Pacific and TSOM ... I can't see any radical improvement in those two especially since South Pacific is such a standout transfer (as was its earlier incarnation as a DVD).

There again, if the price for the box set is the same as for  those two plus perhaps State Fair (first version) then it would be worthwhile ...

#11 of 139 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 04:47 PM

$140 is WAY too much money.

#12 of 139 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 04:51 PM

$140 is WAY too much money.

You're paying for EIGHT separately-filmed movies...both "State Fair" & "Oklahoma!" were done TWICE!!!

• MatthewA likes this

#13 of 139 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted March 13 2014 - 05:40 PM

Carousel was almost filmed twice, once for Cinemascope and again for Cinemascope 55. Frank Sinatra walked away from the role when he found this out, saying :You’re not getting two Sinatras for the price of one' ... but had he stayed, he would have filmed it just the once as technology changes meant only one shoot was necessary. I can't see anyone else except Gordon McRae in the role so it was a lucky break really ....

#14 of 139 OFFLINE   Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 326 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted March 13 2014 - 07:52 PM

Does anyone have any info on just where and when the OKLAHOMA! 4K restoration will be showing in theatres?  I know it is the opening screening for the TCM festival next month, but otherwise I have not heard anything.

#15 of 139 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,596 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 09:55 PM

POPULAR

$150 would be a bargain.

HUGE restoration costs.

RAH

• Reed Grele, MatthewA, Stephen_J_H and 4 others like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#16 of 139 ONLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 13 2014 - 10:33 PM

Like most here, I'm a bit skeptical until we get an official announcement from Fox. It wouldn't be the first time Amazon jumped the gun with a listing that later dissappears. However, if it's legitimate, I hope they release the films individually at the same time for those of us who don't care to double-dip on the two titles that are already available.

#17 of 139 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,018 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 14 2014 - 01:39 AM

You're paying for EIGHT separately-filmed movies...both "State Fair" & "Oklahoma!" were done TWICE!!!

Yeah, but some of us have two of them already and I'm not sure Oklahoma should be considered two separate films.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#18 of 139 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,645 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 14 2014 - 04:08 AM

Yeah, but some of us have two of them already and I'm not sure Oklahoma should be considered two separate films.

Exactly. Personally, I am only interested in Oklahoma and the original State Fair, so I hope when this does get officially announced the titles will be released separately, too.

#19 of 139 OFFLINE   verneaux

verneaux

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted March 14 2014 - 06:04 AM

I got the cinemascope Oklahoma! as well as the Todd AO version when they were each available on Laserdisc.

The main difference I noticed was that the Cinemascope seemed to have more energy while the Todd AO had better picture resolution. Other differences I remember are Ado Annie being framed much closer in I Can't Say No for the Todd AO version. Also, that wonderful butterfly that seems to dance across the screen in Surry With the Fringe on Top is only in the Cinemascope version. I think the Kansas City dance is better in the Todd Ao (I'd have to check this) - I hate the part where Gene Nelson & company are tap dancing but only shown from the waist up.

#20 of 139 OFFLINE   WilliamMcK

WilliamMcK

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted March 14 2014 - 08:33 AM

Both the Borzage and Lang LILIOMs would make nice bonus features on CAROUSEL!  :)

• Rob_Ray and Danny Burk like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users