Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

America's Digital Divide, Broadband disaster

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,102 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 13 2014 - 07:57 AM

In the 90s and 2000s we were worried that lower income folks would be passed over in the Internet age. Today tho it's no longer about having the coin to buy broadband, but how close you are to your neighbors as Urban areas get the best there is and the rural guys get bupkis. Verizon and AT&T are now actively lobbying to be let off the hook for nationwide build up and build outs after collecting billions.

http://mag.newsweek....le-country.html

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,786 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 15 2014 - 01:03 PM

My town has a population of under 800 and we were promised by AT&T over 10 years ago that broadband would be available within 6 months as part of Project: Lightspeed. Still hasn't happened. AT&T also thinks my home address is an apartment complex...

#3 of 12 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,667 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 16 2014 - 07:49 AM

My parents live in rural northern Michigan, and they have no access to any hardwired broadband service. Verizon (now Frontier) has been promising DSL for a few years, but still have not delivered. The cable TV service is a mile away on a main road, and they will not extend it down their local dirt road. For now, my dad still has dial-up access, which is almost unusable anymore with almost every website designed for higher bandwidth users.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted March 16 2014 - 07:57 AM

I love stories like this. The big bad corporations are screwing you over. Hate the big bad corporations!

100% of the fault should be placed at the feet of our elected leaders. They make the rules. If you don't like the game, don't blame the players.

Oh, and I almost forgot... shocked, shocked I am that Newsweek is blaming corporations for the problem and not the current administration.  :rolleyes:

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,066 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted March 16 2014 - 08:38 AM

American broadband is a disaster with large portions of the country having nothing.

Blaming companies is part of it.

Blaming any specific political party/etc. ignores all reality.

Fact is, as the industry became deregulated and mergers occured, you couldn't lure those companies into smaller communities.

Some states have passed legislation that specifically prevents them from offering alternative broadband if a cable provider can't allow.. that's all done not by a party or an ideology but thanks to a lot of lobbying efforts... and yes, companies are responsible for that; here in Kansas City, they worked hard to do everything possible to prevent Google from getting in, and they've managed to lock google out of many areas, which is akin to using monopolistic power to prevent competition.

There is a serious digital divide.   But if something like the TW-Comcast merger goes through, then we can blame a lot of people for keeping it going.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,102 posts

Posted May 05 2014 - 08:12 AM

Very technical but Level 3 throws the US broadband industry under the bus with real facts:
http://blog.level3.c...rnet-middleman/

One final point; the companies with the congested peering interconnects also happen to rank dead last in customer satisfaction across all industries in the U.S.[2] Not only dead last, but by a massive statistical margin of almost three standard deviations.

csat-1024x635.png

Shouldn’t a broadband consumer network with near monopoly control over their customers be expected, if not obligated, to deliver a better experience than this?

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,337 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 05 2014 - 05:12 PM

In the 90s and 2000s we were worried that lower income folks would be passed over in the Internet age. Today tho it's no longer about having the coin to buy broadband, but how close you are to your neighbors as Urban areas get the best there is and the rural guys get bupkis. Verizon and AT&T are now actively lobbying to be let off the hook for nationwide build up and build outs after collecting billions.

http://mag.newsweek....le-country.html

I think major suburbs have it best. Dense enough that you get broadband and LTE. But far enough apart that home wifi isn't completely clobbered by too many dozens of overlapping routers and cordless phones and microwave ovens.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,252 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 01:12 PM

I think major suburbs have it best. Dense enough that you get broadband and LTE. But far enough apart that home wifi isn't completely clobbered by too many dozens of overlapping routers and cordless phones and microwave ovens.

The big suburbs can get pretty good service, but watch out.

I'm with my most hated company, Comcast, for internet and phone, only because I actually get great service. My internet averages between 27-30Mbs. and my VOIP phone works great.

Dish started offering the whole TV/Internet/Phone package. Thought I'd save about $50 a month, but no way am I going to switch.

They contract with Century Link for Internet/Phone, so my internet speed would drop from 30 to 3Mbs over DSL. Even their sales guy said it was a bad idea (must not have been being recorded). He said the minimum for streaming video had to be at least 7Mbs.

3Mbs.? I'd fall asleep waiting for a page to load.

Wish you rural guys the best, it will eventually get better.

Stan

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,786 posts

Posted May 10 2014 - 11:38 AM

Stan - 7Mbps is the minimum for HD quality (actually I think it's 6Mbps). I have 3Mbps and we stream Netflix fine, although in SD quality.
  • Sam Posten likes this

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,201 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 12 2014 - 08:10 PM

Stan - 7Mbps is the minimum for HD quality (actually I think it's 6Mbps). I have 3Mbps and we stream Netflix fine, although in SD quality.

I'm running 3Mbps and run Netflix in HD.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,786 posts

Posted May 14 2014 - 08:25 AM

I try to run HD but it always reverts to SD quality or below. I think a lot of that has to do with having OTA broadband from a shoddy ISP. But when that's all you can get...

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,102 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 06:17 AM

An update on Project Loon:
http://www.wired.com...oons-year-later

Not Amero-centric but could conceivably be world wide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users