Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Time Machine (1960) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#181 of 188 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,457 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 05:45 PM

I just watched it very closely. It looks like a movie.

#182 of 188 OFFLINE   Stephen PI

Stephen PI

Second Unit

• 465 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 10:28 PM

If I sounded negative about the blu ray above, it wasn't meant to be. I think I was just saying the DVD was that good at the time. Just before George decides to stop traveling forward in time to see Weena's time, it's cool to see the detail of the matte painting of the large structure where George finds the dining area as it's being built, then decay from time.The opening title shots are definitely nice and solid black. The fade in to the street where Filby leaves his store has greater detail, from the cobblestone street to the signs on the buildings. I want to re-play that part and have a better look at the wide shot of the street and George's house with the matte painting behind it.

The wide shot you describe is made up of two locations.You can see the seam running down the curb. Filby's store was shot on 'Copperfield Street' on MGM's Lot 2. I have been unable to figure out where George's house was shot although I recognized it in MGM's "Athena".

Steve Pickard

#183 of 188 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 05:47 AM

Watched this last night on a double with Timecop (um... WHAT?!). Thought The Machine looked beautiful, soft in places but in a filmic way. The soundtrack was superb also... some great moments and the bass was awesome, especially during the atomic blast.Timecop on the other hand looked supremely digital with an underwhelming sound mix.

#184 of 188 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,388 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 07:06 AM

I love the film it's my 2nd favorite movie of all time, but will throw a bit of salt into this new release here while I haven't seen it I have seen the screen grabs on dvdbeaver, and don't really like what I see. Especially the shot of the Morlocks, that faked cyan smeared all over the construction in the background this is so typical for Warner to basically colorize their old color movies. I find it quite pathetic and don't see the point, probably trying to lure in new audiences but it's betraying the history of the classics (Dirty Harry, Dark of the Sun, etc.) and I will not support it I'll remain happy with the old DVD. I could point to the terrible BD cover as well, but that's really only half as important to mention.

http://www.dvdbeaver...ine_blu-ray.htm

#185 of 188 OFFLINE   Tommy R

Tommy R

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 11:30 AM

Unfortunately haven't had the chance to sit down and watch the whole film at leisure, but I did watch a few random scenes when I first got the blu in the mail. I agree that it looks VERY nice. Definitely better than the DVD, but I'll agree with Nelson that the leap in quality seemed bigger when the DVD first came out. But I love what I see on the blu so far and can't wait to make time to sit and watch the whole thing.

#186 of 188 OFFLINE   Paul_Warren

Paul_Warren

Second Unit

• 423 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted July 20 2014 - 05:07 PM

Saw it earlier. Looks pretty good for a 1960 low budget sci-fi but all-time classic movie :)

The worse aspect was how badly the joins between the matte paintings appeared in HD I would have prefered them to spend a little money on the few matte shots & either rescan & recomposite those or fix digitally only if they could use the original paintings to make it seem the same but without the massive gate weave & ugly matte join lines. Apart from that its a very good transfer unlikely to ever look better without a full restoration it will never get.

If your a fan of this classic movie then you simply MUST watch the included documentary The Journey Back from start to finish as it contains a filmed in 1992 scene or 2 with the original actors ;)

#187 of 188 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Producer

• 3,125 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 05:44 PM

(edit: removing my own post, I didn't mean for it to seem argumentative but am afraid it might have come across that way)

#188 of 188 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 2,000 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted July 21 2014 - 05:30 AM

My copy was waiting for me when I arrived at work this morning. Can't wait to dig into this favorite again on Blu-ray.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users