Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung and Vizio Control US Smart TV Market

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 2,308 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted March 12 2014 - 08:55 AM

Strategy Analytics recently did a report on Smart TV market share in the US.  Sammy had 29.6% and Vizio had 24.4% of Smart TV share.

That's interesting, but the bigger question to me is how many people actually use the Smart TV feature?  The reason I ask is last night I was at a friends house who had a recently purchased Sammy LCD TV.  What was he using for his "Smart TV"?  Tivo and Apple TV.  I found it ironic that he could get similiar functionality with the Smart TV part of his Sammy, but he was using other components.

I think that speaks volumes to how relevant Smart TV is to consumers... 

Do you use the Smart TV functionality in your TV?

Kevin Collins
To View My HD Collection Click Here

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,607 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 12 2014 - 03:17 PM

Do you use the Smart TV functionality in your TV?

I don't even know what it is, or whether mine is one.  Seriously.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,244 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 19 2014 - 01:24 PM

I use Netflix and CinemaNow on my Panny plasma in my HT with the ARC feeding my receiver. My other two TVs are equipped with a Netflix enabled BD player and a Roku 2 respectively. I don't know if I would buy another Smart TV, as if/when I go projection, I will likely build an HTPC for that, which would give me access to Netflix and CinemaNow.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,721 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted March 19 2014 - 02:43 PM

Most new TV's coming out will probably be smart TV's anyway. I don't have one, but if I did, I would try it both ways, and see if the TV worked better or Blu-ray player, etc.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

• 940 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 10:18 AM

That's interesting, but the bigger question to me is how many people actually use the Smart TV feature?  The reason I ask is last night I was at a friends house who had a recently purchased Sammy LCD TV.  What was he using for his "Smart TV"?  Tivo and Apple TV.  I found it ironic that he could get similiar functionality with the Smart TV part of his Sammy, but he was using other components.

From your comments I suspect that your friend had the TiVo and ATV before he/she bought the Samsung? In that case he probably just hooked everything back up the same as it was before. Also, I don't agree with the suggestion that the TV can do everything a TiVo or an ATV does. It may have a guide and online access, but I don't think smart TVs have recording capability yet. And IIRC, the ATV offers iTunes, which probably isn't available from the TV alone.

Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users