What's new

Samsung and Vizio Control US Smart TV Market (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Strategy Analytics recently did a report on Smart TV market share in the US. Sammy had 29.6% and Vizio had 24.4% of Smart TV share.

That's interesting, but the bigger question to me is how many people actually use the Smart TV feature? The reason I ask is last night I was at a friends house who had a recently purchased Sammy LCD TV. What was he using for his "Smart TV"? Tivo and Apple TV. I found it ironic that he could get similiar functionality with the Smart TV part of his Sammy, but he was using other components.

I think that speaks volumes to how relevant Smart TV is to consumers...

Do you use the Smart TV functionality in your TV?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Kevin Collins said:
Do you use the Smart TV functionality in your TV?
I don't even know what it is, or whether mine is one. Seriously.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I use Netflix and CinemaNow on my Panny plasma in my HT with the ARC feeding my receiver. My other two TVs are equipped with a Netflix enabled BD player and a Roku 2 respectively. I don't know if I would buy another Smart TV, as if/when I go projection, I will likely build an HTPC for that, which would give me access to Netflix and CinemaNow.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Most new TV's coming out will probably be smart TV's anyway. I don't have one, but if I did, I would try it both ways, and see if the TV worked better or Blu-ray player, etc.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Kevin Collins said:
That's interesting, but the bigger question to me is how many people actually use the Smart TV feature? The reason I ask is last night I was at a friends house who had a recently purchased Sammy LCD TV. What was he using for his "Smart TV"? Tivo and Apple TV. I found it ironic that he could get similiar functionality with the Smart TV part of his Sammy, but he was using other components.

From your comments I suspect that your friend had the TiVo and ATV before he/she bought the Samsung? In that case he probably just hooked everything back up the same as it was before. Also, I don't agree with the suggestion that the TV can do everything a TiVo or an ATV does. It may have a guide and online access, but I don't think smart TVs have recording capability yet. And IIRC, the ATV offers iTunes, which probably isn't available from the TV alone.

Users who are viewing this thread