-

Photo
- - - - -

What can UltraViolet do to compete with iTunes and DMA?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 of 49 OFFLINE   Patrick Donahue

Patrick Donahue

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted July 15 2014 - 10:56 AM

As a firm user of UV (600ish titles) I still don't understand why the CFF is important to me. Is it just that it will enable me to download? I can't imagine downloading 600 HDX files, nor do I see the need when they stream just fine. I'm sure I am missing something about it...

#42 of 49 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,704 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted July 15 2014 - 01:41 PM

It may not be that important to you, but it is important to many. I have read a lot of complaints about UV on message boards, and the most common one from Apple or Amazon users is that there aren't standard downloads. Not everyone has fast internet at home, so they may not be able to stream HD reliably. Up until a few months ago, my internet was ATT DSL, and it was only fast enough to stream SD, and even then it would occasionally buffer. But I could download a 4 GB file in a few hours. there are many other benefits of the CFF.

• Ability to store uvu files on a portable hard drive for safekeeping and portability
  • Ability to copy uvu files between computers, tablets, smartphones, and NAS devices.
  • Assurance that you have best quality version of the movie, and the correct aspect ratio.
  • Ability to play uvu files in standard players, such as Windows Media Player, VLC, XBMC, and others.
  • Ability to travel overseas and still be able to play your files. The proprietary apps such as vudu still prohibit streaming overseas.

• Towergrove likes this

#43 of 49 OFFLINE   Towergrove

Towergrove

Supporting Actor

• 741 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 04:09 PM

It may not be that important to you, but it is important to many. I have read a lot of complaints about UV on message boards, and the most common one from Apple or Amazon users is that there aren't standard downloads. Not everyone has fast internet at home, so they may not be able to stream HD reliably. Up until a few months ago, my internet was ATT DSL, and it was only fast enough to stream SD, and even then it would occasionally buffer. But I could download a 4 GB file in a few hours. there are many other benefits of the CFF.

• Ability to store uvu files on a portable hard drive for safekeeping and portability
  • Ability to copy uvu files between computers, tablets, smartphones, and NAS devices.
  • Assurance that you have best quality version of the movie, and the correct aspect ratio.
  • Ability to play uvu files in standard players, such as Windows Media Player, VLC, XBMC, and others.
  • Ability to travel overseas and still be able to play your files. The proprietary apps such as vudu still prohibit streaming overseas.

Lack of CFF is one of the main reasons why many people, especially collectors and videophiles (the ones who bring the studios $$$) are waiting to get into Electronic Sell thru.  That and lack of special features which itunes is changing up now and i expect UV to follow shortly.

Being a female is a matter of birth. Being a woman is a matter of age. But being a lady… Now that's a matter of choice.

#44 of 49 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,612 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 15 2014 - 06:24 PM

I remain skeptical that that's true.  There seems to be a vocal group of folks who keep harping on it, but I sincerely doubt the introduction of these files is going to do anything to improve the UV situation.  There remain many bigger problems with the scheme.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#45 of 49 OFFLINE   Patrick Donahue

Patrick Donahue

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted July 15 2014 - 07:06 PM

As a user the only 3 things I can think of that I would like worked on are:

1) The only game in town for UV is Vudu. Target and Flixster exist but offer nothing, CinemaNow exists but I can't watch it on my TV. Amazon, Apple, or something else (Google?) would be welcome.

Or here's an idea - how about an actual UV app? Redeem, buy, watch, all in the same place. The studios wouldn't even need to give 30% to a 3rd party.

2) MGM needs to UV-ise it's titles. Like now, please. Although I do have Robocop in UV. No idea why.

3) I'm fine with Disney's whole DMA thing, just please add it to Vudu (or add UV to iTunes) so I can get everything from one service. That is the point after all.

#46 of 49 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,196 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 08:33 PM

I have 3 episodes of Battlestar Galactica and they will not play with media player!  I am sure since apple is so controlling it is a matter of having to use Apples approved media player and I bet you have to be logged into iTunes to watch it which in my book is stupid.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#47 of 49 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 16,612 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 18 2014 - 05:44 AM

Yes, iTunes is a DRM system. You can't take DRMed media and play it in whatever app you want. Just like you can't buy from Microsoft's Xbox system and play it in iTunes.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#48 of 49 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,196 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 03:12 PM

One of the big reasons I stopped purchasing content from iTunes!  

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#49 of 49 OFFLINE   satam55

satam55

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted October 17 2014 - 03:55 PM

LOL at this thread! DMA is completely USELESS as long as it's exclusive to iTunes & iOS.

Can someone actually explain what's DMA useful for right now??!!
  • Towergrove likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users