What's new

Miami Vice (Seasons 1-5) Reissued DVD Sets, May 6th (1 Viewer)

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
It looks like Universal Studios is re-issuing the DVD season sets for each season of Miami Vice on single sided DVDs.

Season 1: http://www.amazon.com/Miami-Vice-Season-Don-Johnson/dp/B00ID3TPA2/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1394589321&sr=1-2&keywords=miami+vice
Season 2: http://www.amazon.com/Miami-Vice-Season-Don-Johnson/dp/B00ID3TPCK/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1394589321&sr=1-1&keywords=miami+vice
Season 3: http://www.amazon.com/Miami-Vice-Season-Don-Johnson/dp/B00ID3TPCA/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1394589321&sr=1-5&keywords=miami+vice
Season 4: http://www.amazon.com/Miami-Vice-Season-Don-Johnson/dp/B00ID3TPAM/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1394589321&sr=1-4&keywords=miami+vice
Season 5: http://www.amazon.com/Miami-Vice-Season-Don-Johnson/dp/B00ID3TPFM/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1394589321&sr=1-3&keywords=miami+vice

Each season set will be in a stand-alone DVD case (just like the Magnum P.I., Columbo, A-Team, Northern Exposure and Knight Rider sets). Amazon has them for $30 each currently and Best Buy has them currently priced at $25 each. The pre-order date is set for May 6th for all five season sets.

I guess Universal Home Video is re-issuing all of their TV shows in this new packaging format.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i was hoping for magnum p.i. seasons 3 and 4. the flipper discs were bad imho.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i would also like to see season 1 of kojak re released on singl sided discs. other shows that could use single sided dvd releases are airwolf season 1 and black sheep squadron season 1.

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
I believe that Universal is slowly releasing all of their previous season sets as single sided DVDs in the "standard DVD" packaging. We've seen A-Team, Knight Rider, Columbo, Magnum P.I., Miami Vice released via this format and they are probably gearing up for more releases as well. Personally, I was disappointed that Magnum Season 3 wasn't released and I think that Universal screwed up on that. The fact that they are releasing all of their previous season sets in this "bargain priced" packaging leads me to believe that they are re-issuing all of their previous sets.

I'm just surprised that we haven't seen an announcement for Incredible Hulk yet, which ran for five seasons.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
UniversalPhan said:
I'm just surprised that we haven't seen an announcement for Incredible Hulk yet, which ran for five seasons.
All of my Incredible Hulk tv show dvd sets are single sided discs.

I imagine if Universal ends up re-releasing all of the Incredible Hulk season sets again, most likely it will be a straight repackage of the same discs.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I would love for Universal to re-release Kolchak: The Night Stalker on single-sided discs. It would be nice too if they would re-release the Legacy Collection sets for The Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dracula, Frankentsein, the Invisible Man, the Mummy, the Wolfman as single-sided discs.

Darby

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
They had put out the single sided of Miami Vice Seoasn 1 & 2 a while back. Although they didn't note the change on the package. Plus they ahd them for $10 at Target.

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
Universal seems to be all over the place. I just found Murder She Wrote Season 1 and 2 at best Buy for $10 each, the repackaged "standard DVD" case for each set. I'm still disappointed that there is still no word on Magnum P.I. Season 3, the single sided DVD collection.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i wonder if fox will follow the same plan as universal. i would like to see voyage to the bottom of the sea on single sided discs as well.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
kingfish said:
i wonder if fox will follow the same plan as universal. i would like to see voyage to the bottom of the sea on single sided discs as well.
Good question.

(As mentioned on another thread).

Awhile ago I picked up the repackaged versions of all four "Remington Steel" season sets. They were the flipper disc versions in a different new packaging.

EDIT: Taking a look at amazon listings, it appears hardly any of the "Remington Steele" season sets are available either from amazon or is fulfilled by amazon. Perhaps these "repackaged flipper discs" version were recalled by Fox? Could this be a sign that Fox is releasing single sided discs version of "Remington Steele"?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
kingfish said:
the person who invented flipper discs should be fired. it was a bad itea from the start.
Definitely. Especially double-layered double-sided flipper discs. (ie. 8.5 gigabytes on each side).

The original single-layered double-sided flippers from the late-1990's/early-2000's were just as annoying, but somewhat manageable. (ie. 4.5 gigabytes on each side). A few movie studios released movies on such single-layered doubled-sided flippers, with an anamorphic widescreen version on one side and a 4:3 pan-and-scan version on the other side. (IIRC, studios like Columbia Pictures, MGM, Warner, New Line, etc ...).

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
I don't know where you got that from but I'm guessing these are the same disks from that Complete Series set that was released several years ago. I was actually impressed with the quality. You probably got those views about the PQ from the older releases of the series.
Wvtvguy said:
I'm finally going to get the Miami Vice dvds. My only concern has been the picture quality. I read a review on DVD Talk that said the quality wasn't great.http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/31625/miami-vice-the-complete-series/

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"I don't know where you got that..."My point was that the transfers on the DVD releases are pretty old. So I'm sure they could look better, especially in HD. I have no real "fact" about the current transfers, though. Perhaps those DVDs ARE from the HD masters. But I doubt it.

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
I don't where you got your releases from but DVD releases aren't that old. Most are remastered and authored for DVD format. If you don't want to buy them, don't buy them, but don't start assuming that Miami Vice releases on DVD are "pretty old". The version I saw had pretty decent PQ. I purchased that Complete Series and I was impressed by the PQ. Nearly Blu-ray quality.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Thanks for the input! My concerned was based on the dvdtalk review but I'm happy to hear from someone who has the series. I'm looking forward to tossing my beta Vice tapes out!Ok to be honest, I'll probably never toss those old tapes. Some of the first stuff I ever recorded. Too much sentimental value!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"The version I saw had pretty decent PQ."Yes, it's decent. But Season 1 was released in 2005. So yes, the transfer IS "pretty old" by now.Not sure what our argument is to be honest, but by all means enjoy those DVDs. I have them also. There are no news about "remastered" HD transfers.To me the question is that are the Miami Vice masters (not meaning DVD releases, but the masters) available in HD? If not, they have to create a new HD masters. IF they want to release them on Blu-ray and/or on HD channels.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I tried to find an appropriate contact for Universal to ask about the possibility of a Miami Vice Blu Ray but no luck. Low prices on the DVDs right now so I guess I'll get a fix that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks