Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Shatner's Barbary Coast Coming to DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,200 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 04:22 PM

From TVSHOWSONDVD: http://www.tvshowson...Announced/19558.  The great thing about this hobby is that there continue to be surprises.  This is probably one of my most wanted 1970s series, so I am very happy about this.

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Darby67

Darby67

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 06:59 PM

I vaguely remember seeing this series as a kid but will probably pick it up.

Darby

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,468 posts

Posted March 11 2014 - 11:27 PM

The bigger news is that CBS is licensing out a short-run series to another company. Which is a great sign of possible things to come. They own so many series that could now go to other companies. Lets hope this isn't a one-off and maybe it will start a trend. Of course, I wouldn't count on shows that have never been transfered to tape. So we likely won't see a great series like For The People, which I'm sure will disappoint many here. But there were a great many shows from their library that were remastered for TV Land and should be available.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 04:27 AM

I'll definitely have to pass on this one but happy for all the fans of the show.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,908 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted March 12 2014 - 05:12 AM

This has been a long-awaited release for me....from the description of it being a "14-episode" series, I believe this will include the pilot movie (which starred Dennis Cole in the Doug McClure role) since  the actual series only ran 13 episodes.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed. Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT490 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,861 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 06:50 AM

I'm interested in trying this but will have to wait for a good sale with that price tag for 14 episodes.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,926 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 07:56 AM

I remember enjoying this show as a kid- it'll be fun to see it again!

Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#8 of 18 ONLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 09:04 AM

I might pick it up, but the price does have to drop a bit. $60.00 is a bit on the steep side for just 14 episodes.

The music does matter.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 01:24 PM

The bigger news is that CBS is licensing out a short-run series to another company. Which is a great sign of possible things to come. They own so many series that could now go to other companies. Lets hope this isn't a one-off and maybe it will start a trend. Of course, I wouldn't count on shows that have never been transfered to tape. So we likely won't see a great series like For The People, which I'm sure will disappoint many here. But there were a great many shows from their library that were remastered for TV Land and should be available.

'

I was thinking the same thing shows there are tape elements on, mostly thanks to TV LAND and SCIFI which would include shows like "The Magician". "The Immortal", "Shane", "The Brady Brides", "Paper Moon", "Nero Wolf"  just off the top of my head. 

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 03:42 PM

Certainly...Shatner was no Ross Martin or Martin Landau....but BC was no MI or TWWW either.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Producer

• 3,006 posts

Posted March 13 2014 - 05:09 PM

i think of shatner as being an excellent actor.

whenever i see him in something, he does not remind me of capt kirk, but rather the character he is playing.

which i think is very hard for an actor who has that well-known of a role, unless he is a very good actor.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted March 27 2014 - 03:02 PM

Artwork is available for you BC....Shatner fans. Enjoy.  :)

http://www.tvshowson...t-Box-Art/19613

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,482 posts

Posted July 06 2014 - 08:54 PM

I have watched the set from start to finished as such I was very impressed with the quality of the episodes. It is too bad that Barbary Coast did not have more episodes as it is a series that grows on you as you watch more of the episodes!

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Darby67

Darby67

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted July 07 2014 - 04:54 AM

I purchased the series release when it was around $32 on Amazon and have watched it in its entirety.  Sure it borrows heavily from The Wild Wild West and Mission: Impossible and doesn't fully size up to either series in terms of quality, but, nonetheless, It is an enjoyable romp and several of the storylines are quite interesting.  The overall video and audio quality is quite good and while it is a barebones release, I am happy that Acorn released it.

Darby

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted July 08 2014 - 06:34 AM

It would be excellent, if Acorn - like this show - could get some of the stalled Paramount titles like Barnaby Jones and Cannon so we'd get them continued that way...

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,482 posts

Posted July 13 2014 - 05:51 PM

I purchased the series release when it was around $32 on Amazon and have watched it in its entirety.  Sure it borrows heavily from The Wild Wild West and Mission: Impossible and doesn't fully size up to either series in terms of quality, but, nonetheless, It is an enjoyable romp and several of the storylines are quite interesting.  The overall video and audio quality is quite good and while it is a barebones release, I am happy that Acorn released it.

Darby

Yes, Barbary Coast borrows from both those shows, but does have its own spin! I really like how both Shatner and McClure play off each other, especially Shatner. Shatner is great at using McClure money and in the end seems to always be a little short when paying back McClure. I do like Shatner's response that he could send for a reimbursement, but that could take months before it is processed. Shatner always had a copped out when it came to paying McClure in full!

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted July 13 2014 - 06:58 PM

....Sure it borrows heavily from The Wild Wild West and Mission: Impossible ...

With perhaps just a touch of MAVERICK. :)

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,482 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 04:21 PM

With perhaps just a touch of MAVERICK. :)

The Maverick anology is something I never considered when assessing the merits of Barbary Coast. Great commment!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users